Social The return of overt Racism in English Football

WhitebeltXL

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to put this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46507364

England international and Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling said he suffered racial abuse from Chelsea fans during his side's 2-0 defeat on Saturday.

Police and Chelsea say they are investigating the alleged racist abuse and the club has suspended four fans. The Premier League says anyone found to have been racially abusive deserves to be punished.

I see the Sterling and Aubameyang incidents recently are getting a lot of attention in the media (and rightfully so too). I've defended my country several times when being it's accused of being a "racist society" but surely no one can defend the fact that Football does indeed have a racism problem when it comes to the fans interactions with players. As someone who's been regularly attending a wide variety of Live football for nearly 25 years, I can safely say I have been witness to racist abuse at every game I've been in attendance for, and not small isolated events either, often pretty decent sections of the crowd either partaking in, or laughing along with racist abuse of players (not even always opposition players, not that that matters)

Now, it seems that in-ground abuse is nowhere near as prevalent as it used to be (especially 70s and 80s) but the abuse has now also moved online, and become even more brazen with the anonymity and ease of access social media provides.

It's particularly galling when the English Premier League is one of the most diverse leagues ever known in Football history, so being a racist and being a supporter of a modern football club seem at odds with each other to normal people. I see even former player Dave Kitson has gone some way to defend these racists' actions by blaming the players' extravagant lifestyles as reasons they are targeted, and that was said on one of the largest football radio stations in the country.

I never thought I'd see the day bananas were thrown at black players ever again, but here we are, and in some of the most high profile matches too, broadcast all over the world.

Aubameyang-Twitter-SUN-Football-450x280.jpg

I don't watch too many American centric sports outside of MMA, but do your main sports (NFL,NBA etc.,) have this same problem with the open racial abuse of performers, whether that be live, or on social media?

Last edited:
worst i've seen recently is some americans chanting 'basketball' at a black hockey player

as a city supporter i'm especially sad to see it

I don't watch too many American centric sports outside of MMA, but do your main sports (NFL,NBA etc.,) have this same problem with the open racial abuse of performers, whether that be live, or on social media?
NFL, NBA, MLB in the USA doesn't really have this problem. Sports brings the different ethnicities together to cheer for their team.

I see the Sterling and Aubameyang incidents recently are getting a lot of press in the media (and rightfully so too). I've defended my country several times when being it's accused of being a "racist society" but surely no one can defend the fact that Football does indeed have a racism problem when it comes to the fans interactions with players. As someone who's been regularly attending a wide variety of Live football for nearly 25 years, I can safely say I have been witness to racist abuse at every game I've been in attendance for, and not small isolated events either, often pretty decent sections of the crowd either partaking in, or laughing along with racist abuse of players (not even always opposition players, not that that matters)

Now, it seems that in-ground abuse is nowhere near as prevalent as it used to be (especially 70s and 80s) but the abuse has now also moved online, and become even more brazen with the anonymity and ease of access social media provides.

It's particularly galling when the English Premier League is one of the most diverse leagues ever known in Football history, so being a racist and being a supporter of a modern football club seem at odds with each other to normal people. I see even former player Dave Kitson has gone some way to defend these racists' actions by blaming the players' extravagant lifestyles as reasons they are targeted, and that was said on one of the largest football radio stations in the country.

I never thought I'd see the day bananas were thrown at black players ever again, but here we are, and in some of the most high profile matches too, broadcast all over the world.

Good maybe the English firms can redeem themselves after that embarrassing defeat by the Russian Ultras in 2016

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...d-russian-hooligans-flew-to-marseille-to-sho/

ARussian fan who took part in widespread pre-match violence has declared "the English are girls" and hundreds of hooligans attend Euro 2016 to fight.

This comes as French prosecutors announce some 150 Russians were behind the violence ahead of the 1-1 draw with England in Marseille.

Russia are just 29th in world football rankings but are fighting for top spot in the hooligan stakes thanks to the efforts of characters like Vladimir, a Moscow public relations manager who considers violence a sport.

Vladimir, who is married with two children, has returned from the battleground at the European Championship finals in France, and does not care that Uefa have threatened to disqualify Russia.

flew to Marseille for the day for the England-Russia match.

100436768-flare-sport_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqfmWw8ZtkYoKgUQYLfpqhYof-JJHZvB_c-zbVli0ZvMo.jpg

Hundreds of Russian and English fans were involved in the disorder CREDIT: REX
The Lokomotiv Moscow follower said 500-600 of the team's fans take part in hooliganism at "important events like the Euro", amid concerns about this trend when Russia hosts the World Cup in 2018.

Up to 15,000 Russians were said to be in France for Euro 2016 and Vladimir said they were united against England.

"It doesn't matter which city fans come from or which team they support. It's important that we're all from Russia. We are going to fight the English."

racist chants.

Pellegrini condemns 'stupid' chants
h
Many hooligans have little interest in the games and will not care if UEFA disqualifies their team, he added.

"I think it's a decision that won't influence in any way what hooligans do next," he said. "Nothing will stop these people."

He contrasted Russian hooligans with England fans, who he described as "big older men who drink a lot of beer".

"Fans or hooligans from Russia are mainly younger, aged 20-30 and at home most of them are into sports. They do sports like boxing or all kinds of martial arts," he said.

100456982_MARSEILLE_FRANCE_-_JUNE_11_An_injured_England_fan_is_arrested_after_clashing_with_police_a_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqD_MBZHFai5-lyV3TxcFmpiYGfdCoPh099Oq335-MHCw.jpg

Vladimir says English fans are not as fit as Russian supporters CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
"The aim is to come and prove that English fans aren't hooligans, they don't know how to fight. A lot of Russian guys come specially with this aim."

Russian hooligans will try to provoke fights with a group of England fans at a bar by trying to grab their team banner, he said.

He stressed that while "the English use chairs and bottles (to fight), the Russian style is only fists".

Using weapons "causes a lot of unnecessary injuries," he said. "For us it's like sport."

"We don't have a desire to kill or injure. There is a desire to show our strength."

Depends on the city. Boston has quite the reputation, for instance.

The NHL also had a banana throwing incident a while back.

What's funny?

The only I've heard innpetsin is a couple drunk black guys with their girlfriends making fun of Joe Wolf of the magic some years ago.

In private, I have heard racist comments regarding athletes a couple times.

Big money ruined football. When your hometown club is represented by 20 foreign players, people lose the connection with it. I believe these racist acts are more of a way for some people to express their displeasure than actual racism. If Red Star Belgrade would put10 foreign players on the pitch, I'd never watch another game in my life, I wouldn't care if they won the Champions League.

worst i've seen recently is some americans chanting 'basketball' at a black hockey player

Yeah that's pretty shitty too, and sounds like the usual level of racism I see when attending your average football game.

But I can't decipher the reason for it. I refuse to believe it's just sports rivalry getting too heated, Sterling in particular has consistently suffered racist abuse at the hands of his own fans whilst playing for England during the World Cup. He received a pretty disproportionate amount of abuse online, much of it racial in nature.

I think the past decade us fans have liked to believe our grounds have become accepting to all but the reality is the fans who were making monkey noises and throwing bananas in the 60s/70s and 80s still attend the games, and still racially abuse players. It's still very much apart of the football culture away from the grounds, despite attempts to punish fans for it.

What's funny?

The only I've heard innpetsin is a couple drunk black guys with their girlfriends making fun of Joe Wolf of the magic some years ago.

In private, I have heard racist comments regarding athletes a couple times.
The only racism that YOU have ever bore witness too came in the form of black males against white males. Color me surprised.

I mean, he was the only white guy on the floor, and the kept on him real hard. They didn't call him racist names, however. So it's borderline.

It never left, in Belgium at least.

It never went away , the overt expression of it has been fairly well suppressed in the Premiership that's all .

The same fans that might shout black bastard at an opposition player , will probably still cheer a black player on their team .

Big money ruined football. When your hometown club is represented by 20 foreign players, people lose the connection with it. I believe these racist acts are more of a way for some people to express their displeasure than actual racism. If Red Star Belgrade would put10 foreign players on the pitch, I'd never watch another game in my life, I wouldn't care if they won the Champions League.

Lucky you're not from France..

I see the Sterling and Aubameyang incidents recently are getting a lot of attention in the media (and rightfully so too). I've defended my country several times when being it's accused of being a "racist society" but surely no one can defend the fact that Football does indeed have a racism problem when it comes to the fans interactions with players. As someone who's been regularly attending a wide variety of Live football for nearly 25 years, I can safely say I have been witness to racist abuse at every game I've been in attendance for, and not small isolated events either, often pretty decent sections of the crowd either partaking in, or laughing along with racist abuse of players (not even always opposition players, not that that matters)

I will kill to be an explosive and athletic footballer in Europe. I get paid millions of Euros, and get to have mandingo parties with white women. The overt racism be the last thing on my mind.

I am sure these guys dont feel sorry for themselves, so no need for your sympathy broseph.

I have no opinion other than that you harbor a weird obsession with black males.
Weird. No I don't. I just tell the truth, and some people can't handle it.

The far lefties use your line there to discredit me, but it's not true. I was raised in mixed families, so I'm not afraid to be honest. That lack of fear is really a lack of racism, which is why I get along so well with black people irl.

Back