Social The return of overt Racism in English Football

Can't be specific right now, but in my regular visits I have witnessed plenty.

I could be wrong. I live in Canada now so I don't keep in touch with the media back home like I used to.

Don't know much about this Sterling incident other than hearing about the whole world jumping on this guy for being racist prior to actually hearing or knowing anything about the story - just by going off a mute clip. Abuse happens in Football. It's pathetic and it's cringeworthy. I've been to different countries and different continents just to watch the sport, top tier all the way to the bottom tier. I, personally have never heard or seen racism happen, so to say "there is a huge problem" isn't accurate imo. If one idiot inside a 60 thousand seater stadium, once in a blue moon, throws a banana at a player, he's the problem. Not the Sport.

Thanks for the in depth post. In regards to the Sterling incident, not even trying to lip read what the guy said but It was so close that Sterling would’ve been able to decipher whethrr it was Manc cunt or not.

The problem isn’t that it’s a tiny minority doing the abuse but there’s a culture within stadiums that this isn’t acceptable, no other fans call out fans for doing stupid shit.

That’s not even mentioning the prevalence online of racist abuse that black players receive disproportionately, Sterling in particular.

I wouldn’t worry about atmospheres at football grounds dying due to policing language, atmospheres are dying because of football clubs all too hastily moving into soulless bowl arenas that kill natural crowd noise. Tourists treating football as a nice day out at Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge etc., also doesn’t help, but clubs love the revenue stream and higher prices it brings. As a lower league fan, we still get great atmospheres at away games.

EDIT: even in the 90s Old Trafford was strict as fuck regarding bad language and even standing up in the away end at least. Most cunty stewards in the country imo.

Wouldn't the Sun be the only tabloid that aren't on Liverpool's balls at the moment?

They're only on our nuts because we're playing well. It's not like we have a manager in charge who can send referees down to the lower divisions at the drop of a hat ala Ferguson, but I remember the "sinking ship" tabloibs a few years back when Torres left. It's funny because apart from the last 1-2 games we've played pretty dire, but no one is on our backs. Feels good man. No pressure built up, and now we're playing well again.

As far as Sterling and the racism, there are racist people in all walks of life but to say that there's a problem in football as a whole is misguided. Chelsea fans in particular are known to lack class having many times whistled through minutes silences for Hillsborough and other tragedies, so it's no suprise that they're involved in something like this, but Sterling gets targeted for his behaviour. He forced through a move at the first sign of interest and stabbed us in the back when we gave him a chance in or first time and provided the building blocks for his development. Not claiming "we made him" by any means, but we deserved better.

Chelsea fans in particular are known to lack class having many times whistled through minutes silences for Hillsborough and other tragedies, so it's no suprise that they're involved in something like this, but Sterling gets targeted for his behaviour.

Also the Paris Metro incident and defending John Terry for his abuse of Anton Ferdinand as well. But that’s a cultural issue the club has, and they’re not the only ones.

Liverpool fans defended Suarez after he was found guilty of abusing Evra, though In that case I don’t fully accept Suarez racially abused Evra at all.

Sterling definitely attracts abuse for his personality and behaviour, but I honestly think he receives more than his fair share because he’s black.

There’s plenty of cunty, show off footballers out there who don’t attract the same level of abuse, a lot of it involving his skin colour.

Because its hard to imagine anyone being that excited by Belgian football that they would bother abusing anyone over it ? .
Yeah, I hate soccer. It's boring and unimpressive. People are idiots though.

They're only on our nuts because we're playing well. It's not like we have a manager in charge who can send referees down to the lower divisions at the drop of a hat ala Ferguson, but I remember the "sinking ship" tabloibs a few years back when Torres left. It's funny because apart from the last 1-2 games we've played pretty dire, but no one is on our backs. Feels good man. No pressure built up, and now we're playing well again.

As far as Sterling and the racism, there are racist people in all walks of life but to say that there's a problem in football as a whole is misguided. Chelsea fans in particular are known to lack class having many times whistled through minutes silences for Hillsborough and other tragedies, so it's no suprise that they're involved in something like this, but Sterling gets targeted for his behaviour. He forced through a move at the first sign of interest and stabbed us in the back when we gave him a chance in or first time and provided the building blocks for his development. Not claiming "we made him" by any means, but we deserved better.
I am a Liverpool fan and I don't blame Sterling for forcing a move (Didn't he just wait for his contract to run out though?). He was on a small salary (compared to his ability) and the owners wanted to wait and re-negotiate in his last year. He wanted to re-negotiate his contract in the 2 previous years, in the 3rd year (his last year on contract i think) he told the owners to kick rocks. Luckily FSG learned their lesson and have been running the club great as of now.

Not sure if this is the right place to put this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46507364

I see the Sterling and Aubameyang incidents recently are getting a lot of attention in the media (and rightfully so too). I've defended my country several times when being it's accused of being a "racist society" but surely no one can defend the fact that Football does indeed have a racism problem when it comes to the fans interactions with players. As someone who's been regularly attending a wide variety of Live football for nearly 25 years, I can safely say I have been witness to racist abuse at every game I've been in attendance for, and not small isolated events either, often pretty decent sections of the crowd either partaking in, or laughing along with racist abuse of players (not even always opposition players, not that that matters)

Now, it seems that in-ground abuse is nowhere near as prevalent as it used to be (especially 70s and 80s) but the abuse has now also moved online, and become even more brazen with the anonymity and ease of access social media provides.

It's particularly galling when the English Premier League is one of the most diverse leagues ever known in Football history, so being a racist and being a supporter of a modern football club seem at odds with each other to normal people. I see even former player Dave Kitson has gone some way to defend these racists' actions by blaming the players' extravagant lifestyles as reasons they are targeted, and that was said on one of the largest football radio stations in the country.

I never thought I'd see the day bananas were thrown at black players ever again, but here we are, and in some of the most high profile matches too, broadcast all over the world.

Aubameyang-Twitter-SUN-Football-450x280.jpg

I don't watch too many American centric sports outside of MMA, but do your main sports (NFL,NBA etc.,) have this same problem with the open racial abuse of performers, whether that be live, or on social media?
If people want to commit mental and spiritual suicide let them. They are the true victims.

Also the Paris Metro incident and defending John Terry for his abuse of Anton Ferdinand as well. But that’s a cultural issue the club has, and they’re not the only ones.

Liverpool fans defended Suarez after he was found guilty of abusing Evra, though In that case I don’t fully accept Suarez racially abused Evra at all.

Sterling definitely attracts abuse for his personality and behaviour, but I honestly think he receives more than his fair share because he’s black.

There’s plenty of cunty, show off footballers out there who don’t attract the same level of abuse, a lot of it involving his skin colour.

In the good/bad old days Chelsea fans in the Shed End were quite fond of chanting "We're white we're white" at teams with more diverse fans and/or players so yeah nothing new there , Stirling has become a sort of poster boy for all the perceived faults of the typical modern footballer and has suffered for it while others the same or worse have got away with it .

Thanks for the in depth post. In regards to the Sterling incident, not even trying to lip read what the guy said but It was so close that Sterling would’ve been able to decipher whethrr it was Manc cunt or not.

The problem isn’t that it’s a tiny minority doing the abuse but there’s a culture within stadiums that this isn’t acceptable, no other fans call out fans for doing stupid shit.

That’s not even mentioning the prevalence online of racist abuse that black players receive disproportionately, Sterling in particular.

I wouldn’t worry about atmospheres at football grounds dying due to policing language, atmospheres are dying because of football clubs all too hastily moving into soulless bowl arenas that kill natural crowd noise. Tourists treating football as a nice day out at Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge etc., also doesn’t help, but clubs love the revenue stream and higher prices it brings. As a lower league fan, we still get great atmospheres at away games.

EDIT: even in the 90s Old Trafford was strict as fuck regarding bad language and even standing up in the away end at least. Most cunty stewards in the country imo.
Are we talking about Sterling as in the old dude that used to own the Clippers?

That case is a huge case of people jumping to conclusion as I understand it.

All he said to his girlfriend was essentially "I don't mind you fucking black dudes on the side but don't take pictures with them" cause he didn't want to basically get publicly ran over the coals for dating a gold digger basically.

At least that's the simplified version as I understand it.

worst i've seen recently is some americans chanting 'basketball' at a black hockey player

as a city supporter i'm especially sad to see it
That's cause the shithead hockey fans attack the black players on Twitter cause they know if they vocalize it for the most part using slurs and shit the crowd is going to beat the shit out of them or the team will come over the glass the way the Bruins did in Madison Square Garden during the Big Bad Bruins years.

Stirling is a bit of a knob but he gets a lot more abuse for being a knob than a white player would.

Stirling is a bit of a knob but he gets a lot more abuse for being a knob than a white player would.

No it's deserved he was directly responsible for gun crime because of that wanky tattoo he got......

I think it's ridiculous all you have to do is put a banana somewhere for certain people to lose their minds. You're begging to be trolled at that point. Reminds me of that story where students left a banana on a pole on a university campus and the media couldn't stop talking about the horrible hate crime that had just occurred... of a banana having been left somewhere. Minorities have equal footing in society, people need to accept that. I don't think non-activist black people even care that much because they're not insecure, it's SJWs and activists who always take it upon themselves to be outraged and offended on the behalf of the poor oppressed forever-a-victim minority.

I knew the British would get absolutely smashed by them Russians.

Them out of shape Brit's with their beer belly's who think they're hard as fuck in their groups.

The Russians were actually full on MMA training taking it dead seriously.

Back