THE Official 2017 S&C Deadlift Competition Thread

Do you like Phil Collins?

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.
Well done sir! Love that movie

Loling hard about the American Psycho reference and imagining posters reading that who have not watched the movie.

XS5LK.gif

Loling hard about the American Psycho reference and imagining posters reading that who have not watched the movie.
I LOL'd at myself once I knew. I did think the post was a bit bizarre with how passionate @MatterOverMind seemed about Phil Collins.

I'm looking for some opinions...

1) Should we allow additional (non-whitebelt) participants? Maybe up until June 1st?

2) Should we allow people (after teams have been decided) to officially drop out in the case of injury or other extenuating circumstances? Or should we just leave that as something that's covered by "luck of the draw"? It's obviously something that could be taken advantage of, so I personally think it should fall into the "too damn bad" category.

1)Yes.

2)People who join too late to be picked can be held as a Reserve. If a Team loses a member to injury etc, they can draft one of the Reserves to take their place.

No, it's not going through January.

Are you asking to join? If so, could you please post your video here?

No, your final pull will not have to be done at a meet just because your entry video was.

Please post future questions/comments/concerns in English. Thanks in advance.

So I have this, the meet video is terrible but ten pounds less than the one I'm going to post (though ever since i got the iPhone it seems to mess these things up).

Wonder how fat I'll have to get to get closer to 650. Still shedding the lard from this pull. Down to 230. Think 220 is about right for me

We factoring in weight at all?

Nice pull. I'll add you to the list.

No, bodyweight is not a factor.

Should we allow people (after teams have been decided) to officially drop out in the case of injury or other extenuating circumstances? Or should we just leave that as something that's covered by "luck of the draw"? It's obviously something that could be taken advantage of, so I personally think it should fall into the "too damn bad" category.
Because of the potential for abuse (low gainers dropping out to boost the team's average), I propose that we allow a penalty-free withdrawal until August 1st. You can drop out and your team will just have one fewer person in their final average. But, after August 1st, there is no dropping out. Your team will just have to absorb your low or non-existent improvement.

Thoughts?

Yeah if a guy improves by five pounds the first week and then drops out, he's counted for five pounds for the whole competition, unless there's an alternate to fill in. That allows the team to recruit alternates and guys on standby to play. August 1st sounds like a reasonable cutoff.

Yeah if a guy improves by five pounds the first week and then drops out, he's counted for five pounds for the whole competition, unless there's an alternate to fill in. That allows the team to recruit alternates and guys on standby to play. August 1st sounds like a reasonable cutoff.
Right on.
Am I too late to get in this mug?
No, sir. I've added you to the list. Just post a video of your starting 1rm by June 5th and you're good to go.

Yeah, the strength was there, but that would definitely get red lights at a meet. Just clean it up a bit, brah.

Alright, I'll try to shoot another video before our deadline, without the hitching. It's been ages since I've watched that video, and these are definitely not beautiful lifts. Damn.

I will use my all time-PR of 180kg/400lb. I have that on video since it was done in another comp on here, does that video count? I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull 180 again in just a few weeks, but starting with a lower max is pretty pointless.
So you will find it easy to improve on that then *slow claps

Fucked up my grip and had to reset. I know this would disqualify a PR during the comp, but is it OK for a starting max?

And yes, I know my technique is fuck-ugly.:oops: That's one reason I wanted to enter this comp. I need the practice.

Back