The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v5: Death to the Headphone Jack

Thoughts on iOS 10 ? What is the general consensus?

I like everything except the keyboard. I always hit the fucking return key instead of space. It's maddening.
Not a fan of it myself.

Don't like what they did with the keyboard.
Don't like that they took away the swipe to unlock function.
Don't like what they did with the notifications on the lock screen. Just too bright and noticeable.
Don't like the new layout of Apple Music.
Music playback has been very glitchy since the update as well. Both on Apple Music and iTunes. Songs will fast forward by themselves. Also having an issue where my phone connects to my car just fine but won't play any music.

I'm liking the Pixels color name choices. Quite Black, Really Blue, and Very Silver.
google_pixel_colors_2016-100685869-large.png

Purple & teal are a nice combo.

Does anyone cover up their phone's camera in case some hacker catches video of you doing something? I ordered a case that doesn't have a removable flap from back side camera since reviews said the screen cover wasn't flush to the screen.

Anyone know when the next iOS update is coming? SO many bugs and my phone has slowed to a crawl on a lot of websites. Goddamn it.

What are the best budget phones out there? I'm having issues with my Nexus 5 and I think it's time to finally say good bye after almost 3 years.

Not sure why anyone would buy the VRZ version when you can (allegedly) buy the unlocked version from Google and then have VRZ activate it for you

Because the majority of people mindlessly still buy their phones in the carrier store.

What are the best budget phones out there? I'm having issues with my Nexus 5 and I think it's time to finally say good bye after almost 3 years.
The One Plus series?

I know a couple of people who have them and are quite happy with them.

i am super stoked. just got a Galaxy Note 7 off of craigslist yesterday for just $100 and it is almost brand new

Looks like Verizon has reversed it's stance... Can we believe them?

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/12/...droid-updates/

Since it was announced that Verizon was the only US carrier selling Google's new Pixel smartphone directly, there's been some confusion about what that'll mean for Android updates. Originally, it sounded like the Verizon version of the Pixel wouldn't get Android updates at the same time as the unlocked versions, which meant Verizon customers could end up waiting for the carrier to approve the updates -- something that has historically slowed things down significantly. (To refresh your memory, just look at how badly things with when Verizon sold the Galaxy Nexus way back in 2011 and 2012.)

But Verizon now says that it won't make Pixel owners wait. According to a statement received by Ars Technica, all versions of the Pixel will be updated simultaneously. "First and foremost, all operating system and security updates to the Pixel devices will happen in partnership with Google," Verizon's statement reads. "In other words, when Google releases an update, Verizon phones will receive the same update at the same time (much like iOS updates). Verizon will not stand in the way of any major updates and users will get all updates at the same time as Google."
Verizon also noted that its version of the Pixel is carrier unlocked, and it included three pre-installed apps, all of which can be uninstalled by the user. That's about as good as we could possibly hope for when talking about an Android phone on Verizon -- historically, they've been full of uninstallable apps and Android updates could be delayed for months. In fact, this might be the first time Verizon has offered an Android phone that'll get updates at the same time as unlocked phones sold directly by Google.

Google also confirmed that the Verizon Pixel would get updates simultaneously, saying that "OS updates and monthly security patches will be updated on all Pixel devices (Verizon and non-Verizon versions) simultaneously." Both of these statements from Verizon and Google are pretty unambiguous, so we're hoping both companies live up to their words here. Previously, we would have recommended all interested Pixel buyers purchase the phone directly from Google -- but if Verizon makes good on its promise, it'll be hard to fault anyone for buying the phone directly from them.

Just ordered the iPhone 7.

The Pixel looks nice and probably works great but Apple's iPhone is hands down the premier smartphone. It just feels classy.

I've always had budget phones because I'm too cheap to buy the latest and greatest. I told myself I'm just going to get the Iphone 7 and be done with it, but I don't want to drop down that type of money. I'm with T-Mobile and have a LG G3 that is annoying me so I'm looking into a new phone by the end of the year. I'm hoping some nice deals pop up in the next month or so as I don't want to go over $400. Maybe the S7 Edge will have some deals by then as I would be more than happy with that.

My tablet and cellphone has different size jacks for my headphones.

<{natewhut}><{natewhut}><{natewhut}><{natewhut}>

Just ordered the iPhone 7.

The Pixel looks nice and probably works great but Apple's iPhone is hands down the premier smartphone. It just feels classy.

I find it weird that people still feel like there is a difference. I've had both at the same time. There is no difference to me. They both have their pros and cons and both are very minor. In fact that main thing is no MicroSD card in Iphones. I don't want to pay so much more money just to get the space I need when I can get a much better deal buying a microsd card. Either way I have an Iphone 6 now because my company let me have it for free. I'll use it till it's done and then get an android that can take SD cards.

Ive owned Android products. The Note 2 is the only thing, imo, thats comparable to iPhone.

Been using the note3 for years. No real issues with it. Using an iPhone 6s+ now because the company I work for gave it to me. Due for an upgrade on my personal phone. Not sure what I'm going to do. As of now my household has 4 smartphones. May just drop my line and use the free company phone for everything.

Back