The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v5: Death to the Headphone Jack

Shamefully im still using my Note 7. Do you guys think its worth waiting for the S8 or should I just take the S7? Samsung is offering $100 off if we trade in our Note 7 for an S7.

I was told they expect the S8 to be released in January and that Note 7 may be the last Note and that Samsung may just release variants of S series. They will probably have a version with a stylus I assume. I haven't really been paying attention to what to expect from the S8 because I never thought I would have to leave the Note. Do you think the S8 will be worth waiting for and losing the $100 credit? Opinions anyone?

i am super stoked. just got a Galaxy Note 7 off of craigslist yesterday for just $100 and it is almost brand new
They will probably brick all the phones people refused to return. It will be useless eventually.

I have an android custom rom noob question. It's not a phone, but i'm guessing install method should be the same.
I bought an Q Box Android TV box. It runs Android 5.1. I found a custom rom that is supposed to take care of some of the issues. Can I download the rom and GApps to the device and flash from there or will I need a SD or flash drive to put the required files on to flash from?

Box I bought
https://androidtvbox.eu/q-box-tv-box-another-tv-box-powered-amlogic-s905-promo/
Rom I want to run
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player...bk/583567-rom-qbox-2gb-16gb-superceleron-v1-0
guide I plan on using
https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-custom-rom-android/

I have an android custom rom noob question. It's not a phone, but i'm guessing install method should be the same.
I bought an Q Box Android TV box. It runs Android 5.1. I found a custom rom that is supposed to take care of some of the issues. Can I download the rom and GApps to the device and flash from there or will I need a SD or flash drive to put the required files on to flash from?

Box I bought
https://androidtvbox.eu/q-box-tv-box-another-tv-box-powered-amlogic-s905-promo/
Rom I want to run
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player...bk/583567-rom-qbox-2gb-16gb-superceleron-v1-0
guide I plan on using
https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-custom-rom-android/
You need an external device. The internal memory gets wiped whenever you flash a new ROM. So you keep the zip files of Gapps and your custom ROM on the external card, then wipe the current ROM, flash the new zip, and finally flash Gapps from within your Recovery (as well as a backed up image of the original ROM, obviously).

Standard procedure for ROMs that don't include Gapps or some other core app package in the ROM itself is to wipe the old ROM, flash the new custom ROM, then Gapps.

You need an external device. The internal memory gets wiped whenever you flash a new ROM. So you keep the zip files of Gapps and your custom ROM on the external card, then wipe the current ROM, flash the new zip, and finally flash Gapps from within your Recovery (as well as a backed up image of the original ROM, obviously).

Standard procedure for ROMs that don't include Gapps or some other core app package in the ROM itself is to wipe the old ROM, flash the new custom ROM, then Gapps.
Do you think a USB flash drive or SD card would be better? Thanks for your help.

ASUS' Zenfone is the only choice IMO. I've owned pretty much everything available for the past 12 years or so.
Zenphone was the second to blow my mind. First had been a Sony, around 2010. It was just much superior to the Apple and Samsung products at the time. The camera was astonishing back then.

Going to pick up a Galaxy S7 Edge on Thursday.

Best Buy has a 'Black Friday' deal that if you pick it up, you get the VR gear and a software pack for free, and a $250 gift card.

Pretty sweet deal.

i am super stoked. just got a Galaxy Note 7 off of craigslist yesterday for just $100 and it is almost brand new
I never knew you could so easily purchase a grenade.
Do you think a USB flash drive or SD card would be better? Thanks for your help.

SD card.

Sd card stays inside your phone. Usb drive doesn't.

You could however get an otg cable that will allow you to connect a usb drive to your phone and write /read from it.

But you would have to carry it and the cable around and it would be hanging from the end of your phone.

My Galaxy S5 is being extremely annoying and slow lately, I think its from an update. It is very frustrating, I think its time to upgrade.

Anyone have experience with the S7 and S7 Active? Thinking about grabbing an active but I've read the S7's have poor reception, some people say yes and some say no. Currently with my S5 I have no to 1 bar at my desk, I'd like a phone where I have consistent service there.
Typical, these phones have good enough hardware to last for a long long time.

It's the software that always punks up.

I never knew you could so easily purchase a grenade.

SD card.

Sd card stays inside your phone. Usb drive doesn't.

You could however get an otg cable that will allow you to connect a usb drive to your phone and write /read from it.

But you would have to carry it and the cable around and it would be hanging from the end of your phone.
It's for an Android TV box so it already has USB ports. I didn't know if android products had problems flashing from a USB stick or not. If it had to be from a SD card, I'd have to order one because I don't have any spares.

Venting a bit.

So my family asks me for opinion on buying a phone. I know as much as the regular Joe, but a bit more than my wife and mother. They wanted a phone that was not that expensive (premium phones don't come into question) while retaining their current providers.

Mom had a phone that i bought used from a friend, Galaxy Nexus. It crapped out after 4 months. I know, used stuff.

I advised them for buying a Lenovo phone (S60) from a friend that had a connection blah blah. The phone was an entry level smartphone, that had specs much higher than the Samsung/HTC in the same category. Not expensive but not cheap. Around $180, 1,5 years ago. Both of them were crap, rather slow and they started losing 3g-4g connection soon, and my "friend" basically said the warranty (included in the box) was invalid. My bad, i guess, and i felt bad from that point, because both of them (wife and mother) were persuaded by me to buy it.

Luckily, wife's phone fell and the screen broke. Mom left her phone outside and the moisture went in, making the camera malfunction. She's still using it, but she is getting a new phone.

Then i ordered my wife a Xiaomi phone. Redmi 3 pro. Also a bit less than $200. It's not the premium, but was supposed to be a solid phone. It was ordered over the internet (so i doubt i can return/exchange it), and is now starting to lose internet connection (wife not getting SMS and whatsapp/viber). It is OK in every aspect except for the internet connection.

Of course, i again feel bad because it was my suggestion. She's not actually blaming me, but you can feel a bit of resentment.

I know, i sound poor and buy cheap=buy several times. I tried explaining it to them, but they don't seem to understand. They still argue that $200 is not change (and they do have a point, being that it represents around 1/4 of the average monthly salary here). I want to have an open mind about chinese phones, but this is 3 times that my experience tells me otherwise.

I doubt i'll ever recommend any phone to anyone again, and there's no way i'm actually ordering anything for anyone.

/vent

Venting a bit.

So my family asks me for opinion on buying a phone. I know as much as the regular Joe, but a bit more than my wife and mother. They wanted a phone that was not that expensive (premium phones don't come into question) while retaining their current providers.

Mom had a phone that i bought used from a friend, Galaxy Nexus. It crapped out after 4 months. I know, used stuff.

I advised them for buying a Lenovo phone (S60) from a friend that had a connection blah blah. The phone was an entry level smartphone, that had specs much higher than the Samsung/HTC in the same category. Not expensive but not cheap. Around $180, 1,5 years ago. Both of them were crap, rather slow and they started losing 3g-4g connection soon, and my "friend" basically said the warranty (included in the box) was invalid. My bad, i guess, and i felt bad from that point, because both of them (wife and mother) were persuaded by me to buy it.

Luckily, wife's phone fell and the screen broke. Mom left her phone outside and the moisture went in, making the camera malfunction. She's still using it, but she is getting a new phone.

Then i ordered my wife a Xiaomi phone. Redmi 3 pro. Also a bit less than $200. It's not the premium, but was supposed to be a solid phone. It was ordered over the internet (so i doubt i can return/exchange it), and is now starting to lose internet connection (wife not getting SMS and whatsapp/viber). It is OK in every aspect except for the internet connection.

Of course, i again feel bad because it was my suggestion. She's not actually blaming me, but you can feel a bit of resentment.

I know, i sound poor and buy cheap=buy several times. I tried explaining it to them, but they don't seem to understand. They still argue that $200 is not change (and they do have a point, being that it represents around 1/4 of the average monthly salary here). I want to have an open mind about chinese phones, but this is 3 times that my experience tells me otherwise.

I doubt i'll ever recommend any phone to anyone again, and there's no way i'm actually ordering anything for anyone.

/vent

Bad luck I guess..? I've only had chinese smartphones(meizu) & they all held up really well.

Venting a bit.

/vent
At those price points I'd pick a Moto G.

Bad luck I guess..? I've only had chinese smartphones(meizu) & they all held up really well.

Interestingly, Meizu i would never buy... It could be that my copy is/was a counterfeit.

At those price points I'd pick a Moto G.

Not that common of a phone here. I'd recommend it to my wife, but it goes against of what i wrote in the previous post ;)

Interestingly, Meizu i would never buy... It could be that my copy is/was a counterfeit.

Not that common of a phone here. I'd recommend it to my wife, but it goes against of what i wrote in the previous post ;)
Iphone or samsung counterfeits I can understand. But Meizu..? LOL! Never thought the chinese would make a fake chinese phone.

Does iOS 10 prevent the use of third party chargers? Dumb question, I know.

But since the update both of my generic chargers don't work.

When it comes to Apple and third parties, there's never a dumb question.

Iphone or samsung counterfeits I can understand. But Meizu..? LOL! Never thought the chinese would make a fake chinese phone.

Well i don't have any proof and it could be that they are boosting their own name, but Xiaomi has indeed made a name for themselves and it would not surprise me that (chinese) people are stealing from them. Ironic, considering that their products are a blatant rip-off of (primarily) Apple products.

Any iPhone users having problems with music?

My 6 plus has started randomly playing music from the music app on its own. Even when I clear the app it still does it.

Here's the shittier part, even if I turn the volume down all the way the app somehow turns it up when it starts playing music. I have to turn the phone off entirely to get it to stop. When I turn the phone back on it seems to be ok for a few hours but then it starts up again.

When it comes to Apple and third parties, there's never a dumb question.
Amazon basics cables still working on all of the iPhones in my house. We have iPhone, Samsung, and random 3rd party chargers all being used. All work with 4 iPhones all running 10.1.1

Back