The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v5: Death to the Headphone Jack

You might need a microcell. I checked tower locations by my area and there aren't any close by. Att gave me a free micro cell. Set up approved user list so only authorized numbers can connect you it.

Sorry, its my desk at work not home. I get good reception at home.

I went from an s5 to an s7. It wasn't really worth it. Reception might be marginally better. My house typically has poor reception, but it does seem a bit better with my s7.

Most everything about the s7 is slightly better than my s5, but nothing is night and day. I guess the camera would be the only exception there.

And I especially hate that the s7 no longer has an ir blaster. That was such a great feature on previous models.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably just factory reset my s5, get a new battery, and ride with it for another year or two.

If reception is a little better I'm in, a little better gets me able to use my phone from my desk. The slowness is what is really driving me crazy right now, lots of hang ups with apps and games.

Sorry, its my desk at work not home. I get good reception at home.

If reception is a little better I'm in, a little better gets me able to use my phone from my desk. The slowness is what is really driving me crazy right now, lots of hang ups with apps and games.
Try wifi calling.

I went from an s5 to an s7. It wasn't really worth it. Reception might be marginally better. My house typically has poor reception, but it does seem a bit better with my s7.

Most everything about the s7 is slightly better than my s5, but nothing is night and day. I guess the camera would be the only exception there.

And I especially hate that the s7 no longer has an ir blaster. That was such a great feature on previous models.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably just factory reset my s5, get a new battery, and ride with it for another year or two.
I tried using my phone as a Roku remote, wasn't for me. I can use the Roku remote by memory, , but hated that I had to look at my phone to see what buttons I pressed.

Bought the LG G5 last month. The best camera on a mobile phone I've ever had.

none of this helps me pick a new phone,mick.
I meant to get this one out as a third post with a few of the more popular mid-range and budget phones. Otherwise, a fertile ground to scour is the flagships from everyone who isn't Apple or Samsung from previous years (ex. Moto X Pure Edition and Moto X 2014; LG G4 and LG G3; Nexus 5; HTC M8). Many of those can be had for under $200 for the baseline 16GB model. If you're looking for smaller phones I could spend some time rounding up the best of those, but as I said, they're falling out of favor quickly.

The best budget deals on phones tend to vary from carrier to carrier because they all tend to have some offering that their customers could walk out with that day, then they move on to the next model quickly. Last year a friend walked out of the MetroPCS store with the Kyocera Hydro Wave for either $50 or $100 (to be used on T-Mobile). This phone was made for the AT&T/T-Mobile networks, but I never saw them carry it. Decent screen size, waterproof, shockproof, plays the games he likes. He's a mechanic, so the combination of cheapness and durability really attracted him. These MNVO stores specialize in that market, and the phones handsets are divided by which networks they were intended to run on (AT&T + T-Mobile versus Verizon + Sprint + US Cellular). MetroPCS services the AT&T and T-Mobile markets.

If there are specific questions about specific models or carrier options out there, I will offer a detailed comparison, but otherwise, there is a massive number of phones in the budget class, and my posts are already huge. Alternatively, if you want to know about cheaper phones, or smaller phones, or Windows phones, I'm also willing to answer questions.

While we wait for the Pixel handsets to be formally announced, and for any potential announcement for a new flagship from Microsoft, in the meantime, we can list the two respective "in-house" flagships for Google and Microsoft at this moment. The Nexus 6P Gold 64GB is available for $499 on Amazon right now, and the 32GB is available in any color for $449. I'm seeing the Lumia 950 XL 32GB Black for $421. Another midrange handset that was essentially flagship-class last year was the Moto X Pure Edition 32GB ($330). This year, the ZTE Axon 7 ($399) wrests the title of "flagship killer" with its Snapdragon 820 chipset and supplementary suite of features, but like most Chinese phones, it will only operate with full compatibility on 3G GSM networks: AT&T and T-Mobile. The ZTE Axon Pro ($299) and Asus Zenfone 2 ($229) are a few other mid-range performance phones worthy of consideration by users on those carriers.

Huawei Nexus 6P
5.96"
Unlocked

$449 (32GB) / $499 (64GB) / $599 (128GB)
huawei-nexus-6p-1.jpg

Microsoft Lumia 950 XL
5.7"
Unlocked, Windows Phone

$421 (32GB)
microsoft-lumia-950-xl-2.jpg

Now for the top mid-range & budget handsets. ZTE continues to wedge into the US market at the budget end with its GSM-compatible offerings (for AT&T or T-Mobile where the budget options are the richest because their network technology more closely matches the international market's-- specifically China).

Huawei also makes a showing, but Motorola reigns across networks again for more frugal buyers with its Moto G series, hands down. With Android's Marshmallow or Nougat versions it will conjoin external SD cards to a single virtual partition with the internal SD, so the 256GB PNY Elite Performance Class 10 95MB/s MicroSDXC card for $90 can take the $149 16GB variant and turn it into a portable PC with legitimate storage. In fact, even though most websites will tell you that these are only compatible with 128GB/256GB cards, in reality, they all operate on SDXC technology, and can support up to 2TB in theory. Right now, PNY's $192 512GB MicroSDXC card is the best bang-for-your-buck in that largest current market size.

The G4 Plus differences are:
Moto G4 versus Moto G4 Plus: The features that make a phone
  • a superior camera (16MP vs. 13MP that includes additional features like laser autofocus and phase detection)
  • a few more sensors (most importantly the fingerprint-to-unlock sensor on the bottom of the phone)
  • differing RAM options: 2GB in 16GB model, 3GB in 32GB model*, and 4GB in the 64GB model
*I didn't see the 32GB option for American buyers on Amazon.

FYI, the Snapdragon 617 chipset in these phones has caught up to the flagship Snapdragon 8xx chipset line from several generations back (i.e Snapdragon 800 and Snapdragon 801). In benchmarks these phones perform roughly identically to the LG Nexus 5 and the Oneplus X.
The G4 Plus would be my top recommended buy under $300 and the G4 would my top recommended buy under $200.

Moto G4 Plus
5.5"
Unlocked

$249 (16GB + 2GB RAM) / $299 (64GB + 4GB RAM)
motorola-moto-g4-plus-r1.jpg

Moto G4
5.5"
Unlocked

$149 (16GB) / $179 (32GB)
motorola-moto-g4-3.jpg

Oneplus X
5.0"
Unlocked

$199 (16GB)
oneplus-x-3.jpg

Huawei Honor 5X
5.5"
AT&T / T-Mobile

$185 (16GB)
huawei-honor-5x-1.jpg

ZTE ZMax Pro
5.5"
MetroPCS (AT&T / T-Mobile)

$99 (32GB)
ZTE-ZMax-Pro-5.jpg

Last edited:
I hope the mobile phone operating systems cannot allow badguys to turn particular people's cellphone into remote firebombs. That'd be bad for sales.

Damn, so two pretty big announcements today.

SanDisk launched the first ever 1TB MicroSD Card:
SanDisk's 1TB SD card has more storage than your laptop

Additionally, invites are being sent out today that the Google Pixel smartphone launch will be on October 4th. HTC is manufacturing both the Pixel and Pixel XL:
Google sends invite for likely Pixel smartphone launch on Oct. 4

So, yeah, so even though Google played into the publicity this time by acknowledging that the "Nexus" line was dying...it really wasn't. They're just shifting it to the "Pixel" brand instead. Personally, I liked "Nexus" more, but a rose by any other name, right?

*Edit* Apparently the reason for the re-branding is because they've moved everything in-house. A comment from the YouTube video above:
Sergei Garcia said:
The Nexus devices were phones co-designed and co-produced by Google and a selected hardware manufacturer (Samsung/LG/Huawei/etc). The Pixel phones will be the first smartphones designed and produced entirely by Google, showcasing the Android experience at it's full potential when built by a manufacturer in control of end to end production (hardware to software), similar to how Apple does it.
Thus, apparently HTC is merely the contracted manufacturer:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/135451-google-nexus-vs-google-pixel-what-s-the-difference
What is Pixel?
The Pixel devices are those that are end-to-end designed by Google. In the Pixel C we got an Android platform device, so it's important not to assume that Pixel is going to be a Chrome OS device, which the original Chromebook Pixel was.

The new Pixel C was described as a tablet that's been entirely built by Google, rather than one that's build by a partner. That was also the case with the Chromebook Pixel. So that's what Pixel is - it's a device that's completely Google.

For 2016, the rumour is that Google is moving to the Pixel brand for its new smartphones, called Pixel and Pixel XL, reflecting the two different sizes. This is far from confirmed, but it looks as though HTC's role in this new devices is simply as manufacturer.

Last edited:
Jesus a 1TB sd card. I feel like I just got my 32GB last year. I have an Iphone 6 right now just because my company gave it to me for free so I took it. When I get a phone again though I already know which way I'm going. Iphones are ok to but no sdcard is really just the worst. I still have to use my old android when I got to the gym because the SD card is filled with all my music. My 16GB iphone can't hold shit.

Tell me about Consumer Cellular!

Searching for an alternative carrier that won't be too greedy and charge too much just to use an iPhone, I stumbled upon an article talking about the lesser known names that are actually owned by the big names.

I rarely ever use the phone or data, and I saw really reasonable fees for Consumer Cellular. From what I've seen, it's not prepaid.

Can you initiate a switch and phone number portability yourself via the web and not have to go to the store to talk to a person? Not wanting to wait in line or have someone who doesn't know anything trying to get it done correctly.

I think I want to buy an unlocked phone in case I later want to go with a different carrier and use the same phone.

Touch Disease is the name of the problem with iPhone 6 & 6 Plus where the bending or movement makes the chip come off or something like that then your screen doesn't respond to touch. That was a bad thing to do to their customers.

I read on wiki that 6S is not affected due to design change, but was iPhone SE also immune?

iPhone 7 plus

Here

Exceeding all expectations

Battery iOS 10 camera the touch the feel all amazing

Glad I waited for it

This iPhone update fcuked all kinds of shit up with my i6

I played with a iPhone 7 where the home button is part of the screen, and boy does that part move a lot. I can't help thinking something in there will break because of it.

If you want a smartphone, but absolutely do not want to pay crazy expensive mandatory dataplan costs, go with Consumer Cellular which uses AT&T and T-Mobile networks and GSM phones that work on those. Way cheaper, especially for people who rarely ever use voice or data, but like the option to and usually use wi-fi. Like 1/3rd of my old bill.

It's easy to get it done where you buy your own unlocked GSM phone and sign up online or call them during business hours. They'll mail you a 3 type SIM packet or you can buy it from Target or Sears and they'll credit you later.

I'm noticing them doing more TV commercials and am guessing they'll see a surge of people switching to them. The big names were being way too greedy for way too long.

Anyone know what dimensions the default iPhone wallpapers are? I want to make my own. I already converted some mp3/amr custom ringtones to AAC then m4r.

Also, a while ago, I went online to my old carrier's website and entered my # to see if I could keep it if I switched to their prepaid plan, and it said not possible. I ported my # to a different carrier super quick. What a bunch of dishonest bastards.

Last edited:
I'm pretty disappointed with the hardware design on the new Pixel. That two tone back looks hideous.

The software looks dope with that Google Assistant.

It's just they are charging Iphone 7 and Galaxy Note 7 prices with hardware that is not on the same level as those two.

No waterproofing, wireless charging, SD card slot, etc.

I wish I can get the Note 7 hardware (minus the exploding battery) with Google's Pixel software. That would be the perfect phone.

Thoughts on iOS 10 ? What is the general consensus?

I like everything except the keyboard. I always hit the fucking return key instead of space. It's maddening.

When is the next MS event. I wish they'd just announce the Surface Phone already.

Sucks that I'm going to have buy it at the MS store though and bring it to Verizon.. I may even have to switch carriers if it doesn't run on CDMA

Here's the latest rumors on the specs:

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles...face-phone-2016-specs-release-date-rumors.htm

In terms of display specs, the Surface Phone is rumored to feature a 5.7-inch screen with AMOLED panel on board. Reports suggested that the upcoming Microsoft phone will sport Intel's upcoming Kaby Lake processor with different RAM and storage capacities. The first variant is expected to sport 3 GB RAM and 32 GB internal storage; the second variant will sport 6 GB RAM and 128 GB storage space whereas the third variant will be made available in 8 GB RAM and 512GB of internal storage option. Furthermore, it is touted that the Microsoft Surface phone will consist of a Carl Zeiss 21-megapixel rear and an 8-megapixel front camera. Also, the device is rumored to run on the latest Windows 10 Redstone 2 operating system.

They're also saying it will come with a pen tool and detachable keyboard as well.

Touch Disease is the name of the problem with iPhone 6 & 6 Plus where the bending or movement makes the chip come off or something like that then your screen doesn't respond to touch. That was a bad thing to do to their customers.

I read on wiki that 6S is not affected due to design change, but was iPhone SE also immune?
It affects the iPhone 6, but that model isn't causing the iFixIt headlines. The issue is concentrated in the iPhone 6 Plus and the long-term stress from flex related to the same Bendgate weakpoints. The SE used a different logic board design, and is unaffected.
Tell me about Consumer Cellular!

Searching for an alternative carrier that won't be too greedy and charge too much just to use an iPhone, I stumbled upon an article talking about the lesser known names that are actually owned by the big names.

I rarely ever use the phone or data, and I saw really reasonable fees for Consumer Cellular. From what I've seen, it's not prepaid.

Can you initiate a switch and phone number portability yourself via the web and not have to go to the store to talk to a person? Not wanting to wait in line or have someone who doesn't know anything trying to get it done correctly.

I think I want to buy an unlocked phone in case I later want to go with a different carrier and use the same phone.
These companies are referred to as "MNVO" (Mobile Network Virtual Operators) and specialize in piggybacking on the major carrier networks. Those that piggyback off AT&T and T-Mobile are compatible on GSM, and so will be compatible with the majority of the options derived from the more thrifty international phone market.

I'm pretty disappointed with the hardware design on the new Pixel. That two tone back looks hideous.

The software looks dope with that Google Assistant.

It's just they are charging Iphone 7 and Galaxy Note 7 prices with hardware that is not on the same level as those two.

No waterproofing, wireless charging, SD card slot, etc.

I wish I can get the Note 7 hardware (minus the exploding battery) with Google's Pixel software. That would be the perfect phone.

this is from the google store
Play more. Say more. Do more.
Fast and easy to use, Pixel provides a clean, bloat-free experience with no unwanted apps. And, for a quick charge, the USB-C charger gives you up to 7 hours of battery life in just 15 minutes.
https://store.google.com/product/pixel_phone

Was very frustrating trying to just download iTunes to put custom ringtones on iPhone. Firefox failed and didn't give any indication what the problem was. Internet Explorer failed to download, but at least gave a re-try option which started the download.

In iTunes, on my newer computer, couldn't see how to move a wallpaper jpg added to iTunes to iPhone, and I don't trust the "sync" which might copy everything on both iPhone and computer. You'd think they'd give you an option to pick and choose what to move where. Must be too busy being obsessive about the looks of the next iPhone. {Nevermind, got it to work. Just create folder on computer, put pics in there to move to iPhone, open iTunes, connect phone via cable, check box for sync photos, browse to folder. Got my custom ringtones and custom wallpaper.}

I'm thinking if I ever get homemade naughty pics & vids on iPhone, I'll have extreme trouble trying to save it on computer to do encrypted backup.

Last edited:
Back