The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v5: Death to the Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Madmick, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    v1: The Great Android vs. Apple Debate (Lost in Server Changeover)
    v2: The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v2: iPhone / iPad / Android / WP8 / Blackberry
    v3: The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v3: iPhone / iPad / Android / WP8 / Blackberry

v4: The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v4 (Android & Windows): Curved Screens Taking Over

Well there is no question that the two major headlines in smartphones (really all of tech) has been:
    1. Samsung recalls 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7's
    2. Apple Unveils iPhone 7 minus the Headphone Jack
    Although there has been highly valid frustration vented online the two forward looking truths the mainstream market goer benefits to understand in interpreting Apple's manuever is to understand that they are, first, migrating towards USB-C so that accessories and peripherals are universal between all computers (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, watch, television, speakers, routers, digital cameras, etc.), and second, simultaneously pushing the market towards wireless audio headsets.

The advent of USB-C as the truly universal port is only slightly less desired than hoverboards. The sooner we achieve this the sooner that every cord in one of those old boxes you pull out from the closet might still have relevance as an older generation of USB-C that is still compatible with future implementations: just running at older USB-C speeds. That cord will be good for any job if it's still relevant.

Apple uses its own proprietary "lightning" technology, so you'll need an adapter if the port isn't natively lightning, but that single adapter should now adapt any USB-C accessory to any apple mobile device (you'd need a Thunderport adapter for the latest USB-C Thunderports on the laptops and desktops):
    iPhone 7 and 7 Plus review: Great annual upgrades with one major catch

Google killed the Nexus line, but Android Police reported that it is being re-envisioned as the Google "Pixel" line, and the first two handset models will be the Pixel and the Pixel XL. Techtimes leaked an alleged mock-up of the Pixel design. It is now confirmed that HTC is the manufacturer behind these models.

Windows phone is said to be "dead", as Microsoft hasn't coughed up a new flagship since the Lumia 950 XL from October of last year, and Blackberry's move to Android with the Priv didn't spark the jolt it needed. It's effectively down to the challenger Android, who controls the lion's share of the market, versus the crown-wearing Apple, who controls the lion's share of its profits. Among the major North American manufacturers HTC has found itself quietly fading despite the recent HTC 10 release, so winning the Pixel phone contract must have been a landscape-altering boon.

2016 has been all about the rise of the Chinese manufacturers whose three largest manufacturers in sum now control a larger share of the market than Apple alone. National leader Huawei allegedly outspent Apple by over a billion USD last year in research & development, and aims to be the 2nd biggest manufacturer by shipment by 2018. Xiaomi, Oppo, & Meizu are further refining their mimicry of the iPhone while ZTE & Vivo focus on producing the thinnest smartphones in the world. Meanwhile, Lenovo continues to hit home runs in the western market via its recent acquisition Motorola while also competing back home on Chinese soil.

Nevertheless, the Chinese still haven't figured out how to crack the top where Apple and Samsung battle alone. One year later and 5.5" has inched that much closer to establishing itself as the norm & baseline, not the "supersized" variation of phones. For North Americans the premier market is almost wholly in this class, now. In fact, the Apple iPhone 7 Plus is outselling the "normal" sized model because of the demand for the dual camera feature in the larger version.

For processing power, the iPhones have the newest Apple A10 Fusion chipset in them, and this processor is easily king of the mobile world [2]. Every Android in these next two posts, including the Samsung handsets, uses some version of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 chipset. For the clarity of comprehensiveness I will outline the top five competitors and their respective top chipset (must be currently employed in a phone's production) in this extremely lucrative market:

1. Apple (A10 Fusion Quadcore)*
    2. Qualcomm (Snapdragon 820 Quadcore)
    3. Samsung (Exynos 8890 Octacore)
    4. Mediatek (Helio X25 Decacore)
    5. HiSilicon (Kirin 955 Octacore)
    *Apple's new A10 Fusion is a quad core chipset, but apparently it runs on a virtual level as if it's two hardware cores, so it's identical to previous generations in terms of how coding runs on it.

Apple iPhone 7
    4.7"
    [​IMG]

Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    5.5"
    [​IMG]

Samsung Galaxy Note 7
    5.7"
    [​IMG]

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    5.5"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    TeTe likes this.
  2. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    TeTe and AnGrYcRoW like this.
  3. Damage ~~~~~~~~~~~

Damage
    Note to self and others who might come across the same issue. If your phone freezes often, overheating and restarting by itself then it might be a good time to remove your microsd card to see if the problems still persist. Turns out that was what caused my phone to act up funny. Luckily after formatting the card the phone works fine with it.

4. neverwas Platinum slave

neverwas
    none of this helps me pick a new phone,mick.

5. OvaryHugger Let's Palaver!

OvaryHugger
    The real reason apple removed the headphone jack,

'While it’s tough to make the case that dropping the headphone jack is better for consumers, the benefits for Apple are much easier to see. The iPhone 7 will be bought by tens of millions of people during the next few months alone, and its lack of a headphone jack is going to make many of them consider buying Lightning or Bluetooth headphones. Apple profits from both.

Any company that wants to make a pair of Lightning headphones has to go through Apple’s licensing program. Though its fees are kept a secret, past reports have indicatedthat Apple charges a flat fee for every device sold using one of its connectors. So a bump in the likely low popularity of Lightning headphones is a win for Apple, since it’s getting a cut no matter who sells them. Apple did not respond to a request for comment on its licensing fees.'

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/8/12839758/apple-is-biggest-winner-from-killing-headphone-jack

HelloJapan likes this.
  6. AGGAMEMNON66 -----------Villain-----------

AGGAMEMNON66
    My favorite feature so far goes to the 'self destruct' button on the Samsung..

TeTe and mushishi like this.
  7. AGGAMEMNON66 -----------Villain-----------

AGGAMEMNON66
    Also, fuck them for taking away the headphone jack. Fucking dumbasses.

ssBaldy, hughesfan20 and TeTe like this.
  8. Sonny Titanium Belt

Sonny
    Does iOS 10 prevent the use of third party chargers? Dumb question, I know.

But since the update both of my generic chargers don't work.

9. Hank The Tank Brown Belt

Hank The Tank
    My Galaxy S5 is being extremely annoying and slow lately, I think its from an update. It is very frustrating, I think its time to upgrade.

Anyone have experience with the S7 and S7 Active? Thinking about grabbing an active but I've read the S7's have poor reception, some people say yes and some say no. Currently with my S5 I have no to 1 bar at my desk, I'd like a phone where I have consistent service there.

10. mushishi A is a, a is a, should I save her?

mushishi
    You might need a microcell. I checked tower locations by my area and there aren't any close by. Att gave me a free micro cell. Set up approved user list so only authorized numbers can connect you it.

11. Banchan Banned

Banchan
    I'm still using my recall phone and it hasn't caught on fire yet

12. jefferz Gold Belt

jefferz
    The S7 claimed another victim today
    [​IMG]

DragRacer and mushishi like this.
  13. CatchOmega Hideous Disfigurement

CatchOmega

I went from an s5 to an s7. It wasn't really worth it. Reception might be marginally better. My house typically has poor reception, but it does seem a bit better with my s7.

Most everything about the s7 is slightly better than my s5, but nothing is night and day. I guess the camera would be the only exception there.

And I especially hate that the s7 no longer has an ir blaster. That was such a great feature on previous models.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably just factory reset my s5, get a new battery, and ride with it for another year or two.

14. AGGAMEMNON66 -----------Villain-----------

AGGAMEMNON66

lol @ the screen name.

Was this the compromise Tachy worked out to keep the people happy?

TeTe and mushishi like this.
  15. AGGAMEMNON66 -----------Villain-----------

AGGAMEMNON66

[​IMG]

is normal, TeTe, Bald1 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Banchan Banned

Banchan
    Wireless charging is so slow you will need to get that fixed . Maybe it's just dusty. Have you tried using compressed air ?

17. AGGAMEMNON66 -----------Villain-----------

AGGAMEMNON66

[​IMG]

TeTe and Richard Cancer like this.
  18. Banchan Banned

Banchan
    They're going to issue a 60 percent capacity recharge to encourage us to take a couple hours out of our day and go to the dumbass busy Samsung store and return it . <{1-9}>

Im still charging at 100 percent so I'm just going to hold off <{1-4}>

19. mushishi A is a, a is a, should I save her?

mushishi
    Yet...o_O

20. Banchan Banned

Banchan
    Some times it takes a couple hours some times it takes all night . Depending how it's placed on the charging bed or how thick your case is . I bought the Samsung official wireless charger and some times it charged like 3 percent in an hour if i didn't place it optimally . You have to sit there and check that it's charging properly before you leave or else it might only charge a few ticks by the time you come back . It's very finicky . A really worthless feature to put in these phones until the technology is actually usable . I was hoping it had improved but it's still terrible .