The Disappearance of Shelly Miscavige (a Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath thread)

I remember reading back in the day about L. Ron Hubbard screwing his friend's woman, and the friend actually said something like he was in touch with a higher power. If that ain't some weird pimp shit I don't know what is.

Okay, I've watched through ep 3.

Good season so far, but it feels like they covered all the big stuff in S1. The last episode about the "perfect Scientology family" was powerful. It's a damn shame that kid felt like he needed to kill himself and also a shame the mother had to give up that amazing plot of land just because her mom is brainwashed.

The next ep looks like they're going to go hard at Miscavige.

The latest episode was ok. A lot of it we've seen before, but I did like that they had a guy who actually used to do the auditing come in and describe the process. Basically saying they're like car salesmen, keep pushing for more auditing and money. Leave the room, but have the speaker phone on to listen in to conversations, etc. then come back and hit them up again

The latest episode was ok. A lot of it we've seen before, but I did like that they had a guy who actually used to do the auditing come in and describe the process. Basically saying they're like car salesmen, keep pushing for more auditing and money. Leave the room, but have the speaker phone on to listen in to conversations, etc. then come back and hit them up again

Yeah, I thought that was interesting as well. It's pretty crazy that they'll push to have the people pull up their credit card information as a hard-sell tactic.

I also thought the whole description of The Bridge was interesting, complete with the financial breakdown to make it to the top. Anytime the Xenu story gets discussed I get amused. Remini talking about her reaction when she first read the story was entertaining. I've often wondered what Scientologists REALLY think when they hear that story for the first time.

Like, how many of them are like WTF?! and how many are them are like, OH WOW, THIS IS AMAZING! and just accept it as truth.

Yeah, I thought that was interesting as well. It's pretty crazy that they'll push to have the people pull up their credit card information as a hard-sell tactic.

I also thought the whole description of The Bridge was interesting, complete with the financial breakdown to make it to the top. Anytime the Xenu story gets discussed I get amused. Remini talking about her reaction when she first read the story was entertaining. I've often wondered what Scientologists REALLY think when they hear that story for the first time.

Like, how many of them are like WTF?! and how many are them are like, OH WOW, THIS IS AMAZING! and just accept it as truth.

I wonder if Hubbard started the whole scientology movement as a parody of religion to show the absurdity of what people believe. Maybe the Xenu story was the thing that was supposed to make people wake up and realize they've been conned but people were so brainwashed and invested at that point that they just accepted the ridiculous story.

I wonder if Hubbard started the whole scientology movement as a parody of religion to show the absurdity of what people believe. Maybe the Xenu story was the thing that was supposed to make people wake up and realize they've been conned but people were so brainwashed and invested at that point that they just accepted the ridiculous story.

Nah, he'd been deep into weird religious/ supernatural shit way before that; read up on his relationship with Aleister Crowley/ Jack Parsons, that shit is hilarious; fraud, moon child, yachts, it has everything.

I remember reading back in the day about L. Ron Hubbard screwing his friend's woman, and the friend actually said something like he was in touch with a higher power. If that ain't some weird pimp shit I don't know what is.
Cucked to the thousandth level!

Hubbard's sincerity has always been something I've wondered about. Like, to what extent was he a con-artist just trying to get one over on people and to what extent did he really, truly believe his own bullshit?

I could be wrong, but I think there actually was a strong strain of sincerity at the core of his actions. I think he really believed he was some kind of prophet.

The latest installment made it look like David Miscavige almost used mob tactics in the takeover after Hubbard's death. That security agent really laid it all out. Someone else was supposed to assume command and the orders were printed and sent out and had to be retrieved.

These people get very emotional and remorseful when they realize what they have done in the name of Scientology.

The latest installment made it look like David Miscavige almost used mob tactics in the takeover after Hubbard's death. That security agent really laid it all out. Someone else was supposed to assume command and the orders were printed and sent out and had to be retrieved.

These people get very emotional and remorseful when they realize what they have done in the name of Scientology.

Yep, i think Howard wanted a true believer or some sort of council to run the church, but Miscavige just learned too much of his gangster mentor and became the new boss, then he mopped up with all possible threats and now he rules the church

Haven't dropped in here for awhile. Anyone still watching, the last couple of episodes didn't seem to reveal anything new, unless I was watching re-runs. The previews for next episode looks crazy, dealing with the kids, and child labour

Haven't dropped in here for awhile. Anyone still watching, the last couple of episodes didn't seem to reveal anything new, unless I was watching re-runs. The previews for next episode looks crazy, dealing with the kids, and child labour

I'm still watching and find it difficult to comprehend how anybody gets suckered in to this. How can parents abandon their children like that? The mind control is extreme.

I'm still watching and find it difficult to comprehend how anybody gets suckered in to this. How can parents abandon their children like that? The mind control is extreme.
Yep it's pretty sick, just from the previews next week, hearing that guy screaming at them was enough to get my blood boiling

Shit, I guess I got fucking confused, I thought the show was over several weeks ago!

It's still going on?

Shit, I guess I got fucking confused, I thought the show was over several weeks ago!

It's still going on?
Yep, I think they took a few weeks off but it's back

Also, just read that Priscilla Presley has now quit the church as well

Yep, I think they took a few weeks off but it's back

Also, just read that Priscilla Presley has now quit the church as well

Huh, maybe that's why I got confused. I'll have to get caught up.

The last episode I watched was the one where Mascavige took over the church, mafia-style.

Huh, maybe that's why I got confused. I'll have to get caught up.

The last episode I watched was the one where Mascavige took over the church, mafia-style.
Also, just reading that Scientology is now targeting the advertisers of the show, claiming harassment, death threats have been caused since the show aired. Kinda funny to read, knowing how the church deals with ex members

Also, just reading that Scientology is now targeting the advertisers of the show, claiming harassment, death threats have been caused since the show aired. Kinda funny to read, knowing how the church deals with ex members

That's hilarious. It really does seem like this show has had a legitimate impact on the situation with the church.

You have to wonder how much longer Scientology will last. It's hard to imagine the church still around in a hundred years, except perhaps in the form of some small reform movement that's cast in the mold of today's independent Dianetics groups.

Finally got caught up. I had missed 2 episodes. Saw the Mace-Kingsley ranch episode, that was disturbing to hear that one guy in charge of discipline over the kids in those recordings. Sounds downright terrifying, using whipping and paddling as punishment while he's screaming for you to drop your pants. Wally Hanks was his name, punishing these kids with the paddle while screaming at them to look at the picture of LRH, just disturbing

The business of Scientology was a good and funny episode. I love how they show that promo video for people visiting the church for the first time. That guy in the vid says something like "you're free to get up and walk out now if you want. It would be stupid but you're free to do so. You can also jump off a bridge or blow your brains out!"

Finally got caught up. I had missed 2 episodes. Saw the Mace-Kingsley ranch episode, that was disturbing to hear that one guy in charge of discipline over the kids in those recordings. Sounds downright terrifying, using whipping and paddling as punishment while he's screaming for you to drop your pants. Wally Hanks was his name, punishing these kids with the paddle while screaming at them to look at the picture of LRH, just disturbing

The business of Scientology was a good and funny episode. I love how they show that promo video for people visiting the church for the first time. That guy in the vid says something like "you're free to get up and walk out now if you want. It would be stupid but you're free to do so. You can also jump off a bridge or blow your brains out!"

It is shocking at how they do things and get people to go along with it. They usually have 4 previous shows on before the latest one. This week, they have season 2 episode 3, 5, 6, and 7 on before the newest one, then episode 8 is on after it.

Back