The Disappearance of Shelly Miscavige (a Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath thread)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by shadow_priest_x, Jan 9, 2017.

1. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    So I started watching A&E's recent show Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath last night. It's pretty interesting and I started to look more into Remini's involvement with Scientology. This lead me to read up on how she filed a missing person's report with the LAPD for Shelly Miscavige, wife of current Scientology leader David Miscavige, after Shelly mysteriously went missing in 2006.

[​IMG]

Before moving forward, I have to point out that the Church of Scientology is using their usual "Fair Game" tactics against the show. Here's a website intentionally designed to discredit the show and its participants:

http://www.leahreminiaftermath.com/

But back to the story of Shelly Miscavige, much of the information I quote here is from the EXCELLENT Vanity Fair article "Scientology's Vanished Queen," which you can find here and which I recommend reading:

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2014/03/shelly-miscavige-scientology-queen-de-throned

DAVID AND SHELLY MISCAVIGE

[​IMG]

After Remini filed her missing person's report, the LAPD did in fact investigate. Apparently Mrs. Miscavige was produced and said that she didn't want to make a public statement. The LAPD then closed the investigation, calling the missing person's report "unfounded."

That's neither the beginning nor end of the story, however, and as you would probably guess, since Scientology is involved things get pretty bizarre.

So let's start at the beginning.

How Michele Diane Miscavige Entered Scientology

In the 1970s, L. Ron Hubbard was conducting Scientology business from an old transport ship called the Apollo. To assist him in this task, he created Sea Org, which the Church today describes as a "fraternal religious order, comprising the church's most dedicated members."

Sea Org is for the best of the best among Scientology, those members who are all-in, and who are prepared to give their lives over to the religion. For the Sea Org member, regular life no longer exists. It is all Scientology, all the time. And your commitment to the cause is sealed with a--no joke--one billion year contract.

[​IMG]

Young Shelly Miscavige, then Shelly Barnett, was only 12 years old when she joined Sea Org (which was allowed under the law with her parent's permission). In fact, she was a member of the Commodore's Messenger Organization, whose members are responsible for communicating and enforcing the policies of Scientology's Religious Technology Center. (According to Wikipedia, the RTC was designed to "control and oversee the use of all of the trademarks, symbols and texts of Scientology and Dianetics.")

According to Vanity Fair:

YOUNG SHELLY MISCAVIGE

[​IMG]

David and Shelly: Scientology's Power Couple

According to multiple sources, Shelly's dedication to Hubbard was boundless. She was, by any definition of the term, a true believer.

Sometime around 1978, when she was in her late teens, she met David Miscavige while working at Int Base (International Base), also known as Gold Base, Scientology's de facto international headquarters.

They married in 1982, when Shelly was 21 and David was 22.

INT BASE

[​IMG]

Then in 1986 Hubbard died and, with some careful maneuvering, David took control of the organization.

Once again, Vanity Fair:

Numerous accounts testify to David's increasingly totalitarian and abusive ways. It reportedly was not uncommon for him to scream at, punch, kick and choke subordinates. And if you really pissed him off, he might send you to The Hole.

Tony Ortega, a journalist who has been covering Scientology since 1995, talks more about that in this article:

Around this time Shelly became a complicated character. In some ways, she took on the negative traits of her husband, and could become abusive toward co-workers. But at other times, she was the first and last line of defense when David had his sights on someone and she would work hard to diffuse situations.

According to John Brousseau, a long-time friend of the Miscavages, "a lot of people will tell you about what a horrible bitch she was, and how she was just as bad as Miscavige—which, in a lot of respects, is true. She was doing his bidding. But a lot of people who knew her personally will say that, underneath it all, she was actually a nice person."

The Disappearance

In 2006, Shelly was tasked with restructuring corporate appointments and creating a new "Org Board." But every attempt to do this was met with rejection from David. And then something curious happened.

When David returned a couple of months later he was livid, reportedly castigating everyone and calling them "treasonous fucks." And then, one week later. . .

Shelly disappeared.

This woman who had been a permanent fixture at Int Base and a public face of Scientology was simply gone. She vanished. And when inquired about, people would be told that she was working on a special project, visiting a sick relative, or something else that was obviously false.

Then in 2006, at Tom Cruise's wedding to Katie Holmes, Leah Remini asked once again about Shelly's whereabouts, at which point she was berated for not being of "proper rank" to ask such a question. This put Remini on the path to leaving the church and eventually filing her missing person's report.

So where is Shelly?

Again, Tony Ortega:

TWIN PEAKS

[​IMG]

And that is the story, as it stands today, of Shelly Miscavige. A leading figure in the Church of Scientology, she now seems to be hidden away, far from friends and relatives. As Tony asks, does she want to be there? Or is she desperate to escape?

Hopefully more information will come out about her circumstances in time, and if she wants to get away, she finds a way to do so.

Since this is true crime-ish, I'm going to go ahead and call in my True Crime Team for this one. I hope you guys find it interesting: @kevy2pale @AnGrYcRoW @Thundarr @ralphc1 @DaleBoca @TheWorm @IloveTHIS @J. Bernie Cunningham @cabear @drstrangelov @ajwbjj87 @grinderman @Banchan @jgarner @Legumes @Jackie Blue @Supereem @Mike90 @covenant @Kraysla @NHB7 @bandicoot @MusterX @sloppypie @mjmj @aBlaze @MTT @EnterTheNinja @The_Renaissance @MoparOrNoCar

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  2. ajwbjj87 Black Belt

ajwbjj87
    I wouldn't be overly surprised if she was buried in the woods or weighted down at the bottom of a lake, David Miscavage is a true sociopath who from his position seems to be becoming under the impression that he is a god of sorts.

3. Pliny Pete Puts Butts In Seats

Pliny Pete
    Met some Scientologists at a rave back in the 90's
    This was before people knew a lot about all their crazy secrets and what they really were
    Chick I was with was on acid or E and she was chatting with them for hella long and then bought a book from them and put her address and phone number on the receipt
    I guess they harassed the fuck out of her for years after that like some super aggressive Jehovahs Witnesses

AnGrYcRoW, ThulsaDooom, Malvo and 2 others like this.
  4. marioh Black Belt

marioh
    that cult needs to be eradicated from this earth.

5. Scerpi Brown Belt

Scerpi
    @willhaven720 still around?

His thread was amazing. It think its been about 6 years now.

6. Toastytoy Sleazy

Toastytoy
    i dont understand why people are so obsessed with scientology. live and let live imo

7. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    David Miscavige is definitely crazy as hell. I don't even really feel like that's debatable.

Basically, Scientology has been lead by two insane personages. Though I feel like Miscavige comes across as far more diabolical than L. Ron Hubbard ever did.

scorpipede, Malvo, HeLLMuTT and 2 others like this.
  8. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    I think it's because Scientologists refuse to do exactly that, live and let live. They terrorize their own members, tear families apart, and extort people for millions.

Watch the A&E show. That's exactly what it's about. Or go watch the HBO doc Going Clear.

9. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    Scientologists at a rave? Like, actually participating? They're supposed to be all clean and drug-free and shit.

10. ajwbjj87 Black Belt

ajwbjj87
    I think Hubbard was pretty much just in it for the money and that evolved further then he thought and he pretty much had to go with it as he probably would have been crucified by his followers if he admitted to being a Fraud. Miscavage on the other hand I believe actually sees himself almost as the Pope and years of unlimited money and power within the organization has turned him into a legit Psychopath, multiple former members have come out saying he would physically assault them on multiple occasions when he was in a rage.

11. XalexinchainsX Silver Belt

XalexinchainsX
    Mods, please merge this with the other thread, Thx

CatchOmega and volodya like this.
  12. ajwbjj87 Black Belt

ajwbjj87
    A lot of the early scinetologists joined the group looking to fill the void from the hippy era as it came off as a deep and open minded group.

Mike likes this.
  13. RTL Inflatable Balloon Belt

RTL
    What a season finale it would be if Remini / Rinder go looking for Shelly Miscavige, and it ends up being a BLAIR WITCH PROJECT finish with her standing in the corner of a room.

14. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    Well that's the question about Hubbard, how much did he BELIEVE about what he doing?

I think he may have been deluded enough to have been sincere in that he thought he really had some kind of secret knowledge. But who knows.

15. faustian THE LOOSE CANNON

faustian
    This guy looks like a villain in an episode of Law & Order SVU

16. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    LOL. It's true.

faustian likes this.
  17. XalexinchainsX Silver Belt

XalexinchainsX
    Damn, not just Law & Order but Law & Order SVU

18. Mike Slowly rotting

Mike
    Lolwut? Because they're a crazy cult like something out of a movie. Giving out solitary confinement as a punishment. All kinds of secret ranks, rituals, they harass the shit out of people that leave. They operate their Sea Org ship out in international waters so they can ignore laws. They've been implicated in missing persons cases and murders.

They've used frivolous lawsuits en masse to browbeat their opposition into submission. They've conducted secret sting operations on their "enemies", including hiring people to pose as their roommates and significant others, neighbors etc. and then monitor them for the church.

They use their fair game policy to systematically destroy anyone that speaks out against them. There's certainly a lot of craziness, more than enough to interest people. These aren't mormons or hindus.

@shadow_priest_x I've been researching them for years, I think the Remini show is very interesting. They're hiding something about Miscavige's wife. I think they might ave either had her killed or haveher in one of their solitary confinement lockdowns. Pretty scary they've pursued people that leave church grounds, sometimes while armed. The people that got away always mention going to a public location where they wouldn't risk doing anything.

Makes you wonder how many people weren't so lucky and were dragged back. That and the people that have committed suicide, died in accidents, or from illnesses makes you wonder. Especially since a popular punishment for them is confinement with minimal food.

19. Pliny Pete Puts Butts In Seats

Pliny Pete
    Well they had a booth and were plying their wares
    This wasnt a dirty, illegal warehouse rave, it was a huge overnight festival at the San Jose fairgrounds with rides, games and merchant booths
    Same rave where a fire dancer accidentally inhaled flames and burn her insides, that was crazy

HeLLMuTT, Mike and shadow_priest_x like this.
  20. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    It really is like some shit out of a movie.

I have to admit, as obviously as insane as it is, there's a part of me that has to grudgingly admire Hubbard and Co for building the shit from the ground up and making it as successful as its been.

I don't think it will be successful for long though. With the Internet and all the information coming out, it's hard to imagine that many people are actually joining the shit today. I can't help but think it's a dying organization.

I am really finding the show interesting. I started it last night and blew through three eps easily.

Regarding Shelly, it seems that she was photographed with David earlier this year, which is the first time even a photo of her has gotten out since her disappearance:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...public-2007-reported-missing-Leah-Remini.html

Yeah, this is a big question that I have. How much of their intimidation is physical and how much of it is mental. For instance, the executives in The Hole. If one of them was just like, You know what, fuck this, I'M OUT! OUT OF MY WAY OR I'M PRESSING CHARGES FOR FALSE IMPRISONMENT! Would he be allowed to leave?

scorpipede and pcptornado like this.