Teacher who called military 'lowest of the low' is fired

I know that plenty of guys that voluntarily signed up during WWII CHOSE to go to groups like the Marines, Airborne infantry, and try to be a Ranger because in their mind "there was more pay, and I didn't want to be stuck between two people that didn't want to be there and wanted to be with guys that I could trust to have my back"

Yeah, I think a scenario like WW1 or WW2 is a bit different than today's wars.
There were probably plenty of people signing up to fight in Afganistan to try and find Bin Laden.
But how many soldiers would have been up to go and fight a war in Iraq?
And especially now 15 years later after it turns out it was all a lot of BS.

But I am not trying to talk down to the US military. It's just that I think the system is based upon the lower classes suppling the manpower.

Good.

Tired of teachers thinking its their job to mold our kid's political views.

There were probably plenty of people signing up to fight in Afganistan to try and find Bin Laden.

But I am not trying to talk down to the US military. It's just that I think the system is based upon the lower classes suppling the manpower.
I think that's how it is everywhere.

It's never the rich that are marched off to war.

I do have to say.. the US is moving in the direction on North Korea.
Because we don't let our teachers rant and rave at our kids about nonsense?

He's a servant to the public paid with tax payer dollars. Do the job and save your political views for when the school bell rings to end the day.

I'm guessing when it's political speech you disagree with more, you believe the person has the right not to be jailed for it, but isn't safe from social consequences?
Expecting no social repercussions from what one says is unrealistic or something that is truly enforceable on an individual bases.
I'm guessing when it's political speech you disagree with more, you believe the person has the right not to be jailed for it, but isn't safe from social consequences?
To a degree yes. Depends on the social consequence. Punching someone in the face because you don't like their political speech isn't something i tend to agree with. Someone continually getting in your face and invading your personal space to do so after you've asked them to stop or attempted to walk away...

And no, government shouldn't be censuring your "private" speech. Speech while on the job is fair game in my opinion as a certain standard of professionalism is usually and appropriately expected.

Last edited:
You reduce his pay like that and the teacher's union would have the district by the balls over it.
200w.gif

Ok, but why does the US offer healthcare and college assistants to veterans? You have that already offered in a European society.
You cant attract the lower classes with that because they have it anyway.
Education is free or very affordable in Europe. And you have universal or single payer healthcare.

And to make that clear I don't think US military are "lower people" because I don't think any less of people from different classes.
But some people in the US get the option to serve some time after committing a crime or join the Army. That is not exactly trying to recruit people from upper classes.
The US has a system set up that makes the military a good option for lower classes. IMO that doesn't make the military bad.
It's just that they have a system to recruit from that part of society.
Nothing wrong with that. It's just that it is not a valuable option in Europe because all that is covered already.
Nah, no worries man I didn’t take it like that. Those benefits have been offered since we were still conscripting soldiers during WW2. Offering the military as an option as opposed to a criminal conviction hasn’t been applied since Vietnam. I actually know a guy who wasn’t allowed to enlist because he had a minor for consuming alcohol underage on his record. In fact, the entry requirements to the military, test scores, clean reacords, letters of recommendation, are harder than you’re probably imagining. They’re certainly more stringent than, say, my cousin in Norway joining the Norwegian military. My main point that I’m trying to convey is that, in the US, the military is such a separate culture that you’re always going to have a set group to recruit from. You could take all the health and education benefits away, or offer them in the civilian world, and there will still be a core group of recruits still signing up. As an example, despite the fact that we’ve been at war now for almost two decades, recruitment is still steady. There’s some variance, but if recruitment was based on benefits, rather than something deeper, not many people would take a college scholarship over a virtual guarantee of a combat deployment.

many former military men have gone on to start companies, contribute more to society, and make more money in 1 week then this guy makes all year at his part time job.

Trump attacked vets and POWs, can we get him fired as well?

Nope.

The military is actually full of middle class folks. The lower class have a lot more criminal convictions that the military won' take.

Additionally, these dynasties of military families do quite well, have pensions and second careers that in effect double their income.

If he's looking for a job now, I hear the military is hiring.

Good.

Tired of teachers thinking its their job to mold our kid's political views.

Tired of it? They very rarely do in my experience. I never heard a political opinion from a teacher in 12 years of grade school.

Unless that is specifically a politics class where open dialogue on opinions are common the Teacher should be fired. Even still he should use more tact.

That said what is worse is the politicization and narrative put around any and all military actions such that if you question the actions you are 'not supporting the troops'.

That narrative that has been adopted mostly by the Republican party is gross, disingenuous and anti-free speech.

You can both support the troops on the ground and yet question why the US has chosen to enter this action and in fact the best way to support the troops IS TO ENSURE they are not being used as pawns in other people's unjust or for profit political games.

School administrators want to open the door to allowing teachers to talk about all kinds of shit, so honestly he should keep his job if we want to be consistent. If we want a school system where teachers just teach the subject, then that’s a discussion we need to have. But this dude is just a drop in the bucket of what’s been going on.

School administrators want to open the door to allowing teachers to talk about all kinds of shit, so honestly he should keep his job if we want to be consistent. If we want a school system where teachers just teach the subject, then that’s a discussion we need to have. But this dude is just a drop in the bucket of what’s been going on.
i think that depends greatly on the age of the kids and what the class is.

For instance I have far less qualms about comments like that (delivered with a little more tact) in a Politics Class where there has been set an expectation of unfiltered political opinion talk and where that class is an elective the young people get to choose to take.

But with younger kids or in general classes that type of talk borders on indoctrination and that is a valid danger between a teachers ideology and the students who spend more hours in the day with them than any other adults. Also many students might feel trapped and not feel comfortable speaking out against such views due to the power imbalance so it would be unfair to trap them into listening in that type of situation.

He'd be fine as a college prof

Tired of it? They very rarely do in my experience. I never heard a political opinion from a teacher in 12 years of grade school.

I can only recall one teacher, Ms. K (older history teacher), who would be opinionated. Disliked that hag. College on the other hand... <_<

You can both support the troops on the ground and yet question why the US has chosen to enter this action and in fact the best way to support the troops IS TO ENSURE they are not being used as pawns in other people's unjust or for profit political games.

He wasn't questioning military actions, he was questioning the troops themselves.

Back