Teacher who called military 'lowest of the low' is fired

I can only recall one teacher, Ms. K (older history teacher), who would be opinionated. Disliked that hag. College on the other hand... <_<

Yeah I really can't remember a single time a teacher made a political statement in class. They are pretty directly instructed not to, at least around here. The guy in that video was a total asshole, he seemed like one of those guys that was never cool so he tries to make young kids think he's cool, to play out a lifelong fantasy of being cool. His 2nd shot at high school, lol.

I always thought those people were especially weird, because usually the older you get the more you realize nobody gives a shit if you were cool in high school, but for people like him it's the opposite.

We need military parades now. If you dare speak the truth about the military, exercising your freedom of speech you are fired. Gotta love the direction Trump is taking us in

what i really cant stand is his academic snobbery. "they aren't high level thinkers, they're not intellectuals."

yes, all we really need to solve the problems of the world are teachers and professors.

Tired of it? They very rarely do in my experience. I never heard a political opinion from a teacher in 12 years of grade school.
How old are you?

I never did either, because I had good teachers when I was a kid.

How old are you?

really? wouldn't have guessed it with the shit you regularly post in here...

I was just fuckin' with you good sir... working from home because its snowing cats and dogs and I've been drinking and smoking some hookah...

don't mind me.

How old are you?

I just turned 32.

I think things get reported when they are out of the ordinary, and then we end up thinking they are ordinary because we hear about it on the news. I truly do not believe many teachers express any politics beliefs at all, they are busy teaching their own curriculum. But when some idiot does something like this and makes news, people hear about it and think that it is common.

Tired of it? They very rarely do in my experience. I never heard a political opinion from a teacher in 12 years of grade school.
Shhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiittttuh!

I had a 7th grade teacher in 1995 make a whole 6 week period about the holocaust... Twice. Read Anne Frank like 4 times.

My daughter came home recently before intersession and told us about her sub that came into the class and announced that he was a combat vet and professed his love for America and then played Proud To Be An American for that entire period, kids just sat there and took it.

If you have kids, ask them about the interactions they have with the faculty, you may be surprised by what you hear!

In 2015, I had a professor tell me I was "still too indoctrinated."

I had a 7th grade teacher in 1995 make a whole 6 week period about the holocaust... Twice. Read Anne Frank like 4 times.

So did I, I think it was the curriculum. What is political about it though?

My daughter came home recently before intersession and told us about her sub that came into the class and announced that he was a combat vet and professed his love for America and then played Proud To Be An American for that entire period, kids just sat there and took it.

If you have kids, ask them about the interactions they have with the faculty, you may be surprised by what you hear!

Substitutes don't count, they are pretty much any random person off the street that can babysit for a few hours.

The holocaust, and Anne Frank, are likely part of the curriculum. That 6 week period was called a Unit.

I dunno, I feel like the whole "Support our Troops", support the military is propaganda to some level.

good. ignorant and public comments should have consequences.. losing your job is definitely one of them...
Good. Fuck him
Good, keep that shit out of the classroom and job.

He has a right to be a shit head and teach as long as he does nothing illegal or again his contract
and keeps it out of the classroom.
giphy.gif

Aren't you guys usually members of the "free speech" brigade when private action clearly moves the topic out of the arena of free speech?

This is public action for statements made concurrent to instruction. This, despite how much it may outrage you, is a legitimate free speech case: a government employer punishing a personal opinion that didn't facially obstruct the performance of employment duties.

That this was a teacher carves out the protection a tad, but if this was virtually any other government job, this would be a slam dunk 1A challenge.

We finally have an actual free speech case, and all the "muh free speech" clan are cheering.

@alanb @Quipling @woodguyatl @BKMMAFAN What do you guys think?

So did I, I think it was the curriculum. What is political about it though?

She discussed Hitler as a Dictator and a Human Being.
This was english and we were learning about the socioeconomic setups of the jewish community vs the german, and the rhetoric that was used... That shit sounds plenty political to me, especially when she started discussing the jewish ghettos.

Substitutes don't count, they are pretty much any random person off the street that can babysit for a few hours.

The holocaust, and Anne Frank, are likely part of the curriculum. That 6 week period was called a Unit.

Subs do count, quite often in small rural towns they get hired on after getting to know everybody in that district. Often times you will see someone woefully unqualified get hired because of who they know.

Mind you this happened in the BFE part of El Paso, not in the city.

Subs do count, quite often in small rural towns they get hired on after getting to know everybody in that district. Often times you will see someone woefully unqualified get hired because of who they know.

Mind you this happened in the BFE part of El Paso, not in the city.

I mean you're right, they obviously count in that they are taking the place of a real teacher for the day. I just mean that it is an entirely different pool of people. Teachers pursue careers in education and go through schooling, then they are evaluated on a yearly basis. Subs are usually people without any qualifications who just show up for the day and teach a super-simplified lesson in the teacher's absence.

In order for a sub to be hired full-time, they would have to have all the pre-requisites that a teacher has. So that sub would not really be the typical sub, in most cases. But I'm sure there are some locations in the country that hire under-qualified people based on need.

Unless that is specifically a politics class where open dialogue on opinions are common the Teacher should be fired. Even still he should use more tact.

That said what is worse is the politicization and narrative put around any and all military actions such that if you question the actions you are 'not supporting the troops'.

That narrative that has been adopted mostly by the Republican party is gross, disingenuous and anti-free speech.

You can both support the troops on the ground and yet question why the US has chosen to enter this action and in fact the best way to support the troops IS TO ENSURE they are not being used as pawns in other people's unjust or for profit political games.
<PlusJuan>

Back