Tame Impala >>> Pink Floyd or any psychadelic rock band you can name

Ok mate, Tame Impala are the best psychedelic rock band ever, or whatever..., it's almost 4am here and I really don't feel like a debate. That's not what discussing music is about for me...I'll stick with @FeloniousMonk and so on :)

ps. you still owe me Embrace of the Serpent ;)
Understandable. I felt like making my opinion loud with that statement (even though its truly how I feel), but music is the most objective shit ever who really gives a fuck about who considers who better?

Forgot about that <6>i'll get around to it, but I fucked up forgetting last week lol Black Mirror on Friday means it might take me another week or two.

If you haven't listened to piper,
Meddle or saucer. Where do you
even get off?

Tame impala is just that... it's
a tame ungulate. Aka the most
boring of its kind.

Of the new psych that's out, I'd
rather listen to thee oh sees,
deerhunter, or Bardo pond.
& of old psych, I'd rather listen
to anything German or American

First of all, its bullshit whenever someone says "if x didn't come along then y never would have". You somehow know how music would have evolved over the past 50 years without Pink Floyd?

What did PF do better? You like their music better? Cool, but lets not act like they ARE better. Currents has musical composition just as good or greater than Pink Floyd's work. I'll give that album a download though. The little bit of Spiritualized i've heard in the past I really liked.

Also, just so you're aware since you only seem to think PF has these things going them, TP is one of the most unique bands with two of the most iconic albums of this generation already under their belt (two points you made about PF). If you don't think 2, possibly all 3 of TP's albums will go down as classics of this generation in time, you're wrong. And their sure as fuck is A LOT more music and access to it now than there was then, so I could even argue that makes it more special.

I didn't say Impala wouldn't have existed if Floyd hadn't. The point is TI have used PF as their foundation and without that foundation TI would have been a very different band. (Most likely a Bee Gees cover band going by their last album.)

We don't need to act like Pink Floyd are better, it's easily demonstrated by just comparing the first 3 albums of both groups. TI haven't evolved anything, they're just rehashing what other bands have already done. They're not unique, they're not iconic. They're an ok band. They've done some ok tracks. Maybe one day they will create something wholly original or create a new musical genre. Great. I'll look forward to that. I'm always hoping someone will create another genre that will be as revolutionary as the blues, punk and rap.

It's fun to argue about bands because music will always be a very personal, highly subjective thing. I first heard the Velvet Underground when I was around 15 and they will always be the best band in the world to me. My old man thinks Bob Dylan is the best artist who has ever existed and no one will ever tell him different. My best friend has always been obsessed with The Beatles and can't understand how anyone on the planet thinks the Velvets are better. We've argued over it for years. I say Lou Reed brought a level of realism to music John Lennon couldn't have dreamed off on his best day. He'll say Lou Reed owes his entire career to John Cale who made an artform of stealing from Rubber Soul. In the end it doesn't really matter, just like what you like.

If you haven't listened to piper,
Meddle or saucer. Where do you
even get off?

Tame impala is just that... it's
a tame ungulate. Aka the most
boring of its kind.

Of the new psych that's out, I'd
rather listen to thee oh sees,
deerhunter, or Bardo pond.
& of old psych, I'd rather listen
to anything German or American

Thee Oh Sees is great, but lmao @ you calling TP boring but you liking them. Again, let me repeat I love Thee Oh Sees and Floating Coffin is a favorite album of mine, but lets be objective. TP is A LOT more creative. For the most part, their is nothing original about Thee Oh Sees sound.

I didn't say Impala wouldn't have existed if Floyd hadn't. The point is TI have used PF as their foundation and without that foundation TI would have been a very different band. (Most likely a Bee Gees cover band going by their last album.)

We don't need to act like Pink Floyd are better, it's easily demonstrated by just comparing the first 3 albums of both groups. TI haven't evolved anything, they're just rehashing what other bands have already done. They're not unique, they're not iconic. They're an ok band. They've done some ok tracks. Maybe one day they will create something wholly original or create a new musical genre. Great. I'll look forward to that. I'm always hoping someone will create another genre that will be as revolutionary as the blues, punk and rap.

It's fun to argue about bands because music will always be a very personal, highly subjective thing. I first heard the Velvet Underground when I was around 15 and they will always be the best band in the world to me. My old man thinks Bob Dylan is the best artist who has ever existed and no one will ever tell him different. My best friend has always been obsessed with The Beatles and can't understand how anyone on the planet thinks the Velvets are better. We've argued over it for years. I say Lou Reed brought a level of realism to music John Lennon couldn't have dreamed off on his best day. He'll say Lou Reed owes his entire career to John Cale who made an artform of stealing from Rubber Soul. In the end it doesn't really matter, just like what you like.
You said "TP released an album they couldn't have without PF". Thats the same shit and you know it. Horrible point.

Another horrible point with this Bee Gees nonsense you keep repeating. Would you like to prove your point by showing me a Bee Gees song that sounds like any song off Currents? Otherwise, lets stop repeating this complete rubbish.

No other band has an album like Currents. Mate, are you just a PF fanboy, or are you going to try to be rational? I'm not reading the rest of this nonsense when not even half way through you've already said so much dumb shit

Just listened to them. Doesn't sound anything like Pink Floyd. Sounds like Kula Shaker or some shit.

Porcupine Tree > this band

Just listened to them. Doesn't sound anything like Pink Floyd. Sounds like Kula Shaker or some shit.

Porcupine Tree > this band
Well, what do you mean by listened to them? Cause if you looked up a few songs on YT and decided thats enough to formulate an opinion, than smh

Well, what do you mean by listened to them? Cause if you looked up a few songs on YT and decided thats enough to formulate an opinion, than smh
Unless the 5-6 songs I listened to are drastically different from the rest of their catalog, I think i have a pretty good idea of what their sound is.

Last edited:
Unless the 5-6 songs I listened to are drastically different from the rest of their catalog, I think i have a pretty good idea of what their sound is.
To each their own, but i'll never engage someone in conversation on a music related topic who judges based off a few songs. Albums are a completed piece of artwork and can often add context to what you're listening to, so as a hobbyist of music I just can't make conversation when you haven't even given a full work of art by this band a chance.

To each their own, but i'll never engage someone in conversation on a music related topic who judges based off a few songs. Albums are a completed piece of artwork and can often add context to what you're listening to, so as a hobbyist of music I just can't make conversation when you haven't even given a full work of art by this band a chance.
You mean like this?

Gazpacho >>> Radiohead

ZHXbriL.gif

Yea I'm sure you are familiar with them.

No i'm really not i'll check them out later. You've put too much hype behind them though saying they're better than Radiohead, thats bold.

Except I was messing around and told you that. You are being serious in your judgment based on a few songs.
Someone in this thread who is familiar with this band made the same comparison to Kula Shaker that I did, so I would say I'm spot-on with my assessment of them. They also unanimously agree that Pink Floyd is better.

Someone in this thread who is familiar with this band made the same comparison to Kula Shaker that I did, so I would say I'm spot-on with my assessment of them. They also unanimously agree that Pink Floyd is better.
So because someone made the same comparison, that makes your opinion spot on? lol oh God

Listen, to each their own. Its amusing you think your opinion will be taken seriously when you listen to 5 songs to formulate it, and when I call that out you point out how there are similar opinions, but to me you just look like a fool right now. I can't take you seriously.

So because someone made the same comparison, that makes your opinion spot on? lol oh God

Listen, to each their own. Its amusing you think your opinion will be taken seriously when you listen to 5 songs to formulate it, and when I call that out you point out how there are similar opinions, but to me you just look like a fool right now. I can't take you seriously.
How many songs do I have to listen to before they stop sounding like Kula Shaker?

How many songs do I have to listen to before they stop sounding like Kula Shaker?
I already told you man. To each their own, but if you want to formulate an opinion I can respect enough to converse with, than listen to their albums. For me, and i'd say the overwhelming majority of music hobbyists, an album is a completed piece of artwork. Listening to five songs is cool to gauge interest on if you want to give one or more of their albums a listen, but you look like a clown listening to five songs from a band and trying to act like you have an opinion that shouldn't be laughed off

Not everyone considers music a hobby, so I can't fault you for your approach, I can only let you know I don't take your opinion seriously at all for it

At least I have one person backing my opinion. You have zero.
Mate you joined here in 2004 so you have to be older than a teenager. Yet you are still of the frame of mind I need to abide by a majority opinion or else my opinion doesn't count? I've actually given all the music i'm discussing the time of day lol so I think i'll formulate my own thoughts rather thank you. You are looking more and more stupid by the post

Thee Oh Sees is great, but lmao @ you calling TP boring but you liking them. Again, let me repeat I love Thee Oh Sees and Floating Coffin is a favorite album of mine, but lets be objective. TP is A LOT more creative. For the most part, their is nothing original about Thee Oh Sees sound.
I actually never heard a full
Lame impala song. I'm just
heavies-esque shit posting like you.

Thee Oh Sees are much more
exciting, more colorful & have a
more straight forward approach
with their music than tame impala,
from what I've heard. They sound
like every other soundscape/dream
type new age psych that everyone
is failing at now & days & only
Spacemen 3 & Brian Jonestown
Massacre ever got close to.

Even early animal collective blows
those weenies out of the water
when it comes to cohesive neopsych

I actually never heard a full
Lame impala song. I'm just
heavies-esque shit posting like you.

Thee Oh Sees are much more
exciting, more colorful & have a
more straight forward approach
with their music than tame impala,
from what I've heard. They sound
like every other soundscape/dream
type new age psych that everyone
is failing at now & days & only
Spacemen 3 & Brian Jonestown
Massacre ever got close to.

Even early animal collective blows
those weenies out of the water
when it comes to cohesive neopsych
You've never even heard a Tame Impala song LMFAO

Taking retardation to the next level. Moving on......

You've never even heard a Tame Impala song LMFAO

Taking retardation to the next level. Moving on......
I'd say, as a music fan, hearing
Saucer, meddle, piper and umma
are all much more pivotal than
hearing a tame impala song.

Only reason I never listened to one
of their songs all the way through
is because they all sucked & I never
bothered to finish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member