Tame Impala >>> Pink Floyd or any psychadelic rock band you can name

Joseph Budden

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Since my first thread in this section went so well, lets talk about how over rated and dated the 60s/70s psych rock of bands like Pink Floyd is, and how Tame Impala have evolutionized and surpassed those bands.

If you also want to discuss how Currents is one of the greatest albums ever, that is allowed

They're good, but let's not get carried away.

They're better than good, and i'm not. Whats getting carried away is anyone who thinks these old ass bands will never be surpassed

They're good. Great, in fact. I've seen them three times.

Pink Floyd they are not. Or, he is not, I should say.

Takes a lot to reach the Holy Grail.

hamillgargle.gif

Not even close. And I like Tame Impala. Your threads in the music sub are leading and don't really generate good conversation when you come out of the gate confrontational.

hamillgargle.gif

Not even close. And I like Tame Impala. Your threads in the music sub are leading and don't really generate good conversation when you come out of the gate confrontational.
If someone is an idiot sometimes I'll just be blunt about it, but am I really confrontational or is there just a healthy mix of idiots and/or people who need to relax in this section? I've stated my opinion and you've stated yours. And that's that. See, no confrontation cause no stupidity.

They're ok but come on they've released 3 albums and have shown they aren't capable of achieving anything close to what Pink Floyd did. They will never release anything that will surpass Dark Side or The Wall, or Shine On, or Animals, or Meddle, or Piper, or Wish You Were Here, or Ummagamma. At this point they'll be lucky if they match Kula Shaker.

I liked Lonerism but I don't think it holds a candle to Piper, Saucerful of Secrets, Meddle, Animals, or Dark Side

They're ok but come on they've released 3 albums and have shown they aren't capable of achieving anything close to what Pink Floyd did. They will never release anything that will surpass Dark Side or The Wall, or Shine On, or Animals, or Meddle, or Piper, or Wish You Were Here, or Ummagamma. At this point they'll be lucky if they match Kula Shaker.
To be fair, maybe some of the more obscure albums I should revisit since its been a long ass time since I gave them a listen, but give me Currents over Darkside everyday of the week.

I'm not sure what you mean they have shown they aren't capable of achieving what PF did. What did they achieve that is so unreachable?

Fuck sake. You're my Serious Movie Discussion mate and all but you're full of shit here man.... first of all, I love Tame Impala. They are one of my favourite current bands easily, I also love other bands/artists produced by/associated with Kevin Parker like Koi Child, Melody's Echo Chamber, Pond etc. My favourite albums are their first two, I can take or leave Currents....though it has some very good songs on it for sure. They are great, loads of great songs generally...but they are also derivative of earlier psychedelic music, to be fair Currents is more original than their first two, but nevertheless....

If you honestly think that 60s/70s (the exact stuff that Tame Impala is trying to sound like/being influenced for most of their albums) pysch stuff is "over rated and dated", then I don't even know what to say, or that Tame Impala have "evolutionized and surpassed" other bands in the genre....sure they have added to it in excellent fashion but they have hardly surpassed it. In short Tame Impala are great, older pysch rock is also great. I think you have some sort of bias against older music judging by your posts here.

To be fair, maybe some of the more obscure albums I should revisit since its been a long ass time since I gave them a listen, but give me Currents over Darkside everyday of the week.

I'm not sure what you mean they have shown they aren't capable of achieving what PF did. What did they achieve that is so unreachable?

Well Pink Floyd developed their own unique sound and style and released some of the biggest albums of all time. Tame Impala released a record that couldn't have existed without Floyd and then went on to impersonate the Bee Gees. That's why I'm saying that Kevin Parker will never match what Floyd did. I'm not saying he's bad. It's just that he's not doing anything that hasn't already been done better by other groups.

If you want to hear a band who took Floyd's sound and expanded on it listen to Spiritualized's "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space." It's one of the best psychedelic albums of the last 20 years. The Black Angels are another pretty decent band.They're heavily influenced by the 13th Floor Elevators but they've got some great tracks.

Well Pink Floyd developed their own unique sound and style and released some of the biggest albums of all time. Tame Impala released a record that couldn't have existed without Floyd and then went on to impersonate the Bee Gees. That's why I'm saying that Kevin Parker will never match what Floyd did. I'm not saying he's bad. It's just that he's not doing anything that hasn't already been done better by other groups.

If you want to hear a band who took Floyd's sound and expanded on it listen to Spiritualized's "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space." It's one of the best psychedelic albums of the last 20 years. The Black Angels are another pretty decent band.They're heavily influenced by the 13th Floor Elevators but they've got some great tracks.

Incredible album

Fuck sake. You're my Serious Movie Discussion mate and all but you're full of shit here man.... first of all, I love Tame Impala. They are one of my favourite current bands easily, I also love other bands/artists produced by/associated with Kevin Parker like Koi Child, Melody's Echo Chamber, Pond etc. My favourite albums are their first two, I can take or leave Currents....though it has some very good songs on it for sure. They are great, loads of great songs generally...but they are also derivative of earlier psychedelic music, to be fair Currents is more original than their first two, but nevertheless....

If you honestly think that 60s/70s (the exact stuff that Tame Impala is trying to sound like/being influenced for most of their albums) pysch stuff is "over rated and dated", then I don't even know what to say, or that Tame Impala have "evolutionized and surpassed" other bands in the genre....sure they have added to it in excellent fashion but they have hardly surpassed it. In short Tame Impala are great, older pysch rock is also great. I think you have some sort of bias against older music judging by your posts here.
Well of course we're going to disagree on this when you don't think highly of Currents!!! Not only is Currents my personal favorite from them, it might be one of my all time personal favorite albums period.

You understand influence means nothing, right? If I don't like Nas, but like a modern rapper who was influenced by him, is there a point i'm missing to pointing out the influence? They are the same genre, different artists, but I genuinely feel there are people (not everyone) who would pick a band from that period of the genre simply for nostalgia. Music is the most objective shit there is, but Currents is the finest piece of art by far i've heard from any psych band i've ever listened to, and for me even Lonerism in a lot of ways was progressive for the sound. Currents creatively took this shit to a whole new level for me. I probably like Dark Side and the Wall as much as I like Innerspeaker though. Besides Alter Ego, which is the best beach song ever.

I think our big difference is Currents. It'll be hard to get on the same page when I love that album so fucking much. Also, I know it might seem i have a bias against older music, but its just cause from lurking so long it seems thats what a large majority are into. When music is one of my favorite hobbies, and on the forum I frequent the most by a large margin the majority have an opinion I hate hearing (older shit is the best), I might have come off a bit stand offish.

First of all, its bullshit whenever someone says "if x didn't come along then y never would have". You somehow know how music would have evolved over the past 50 years without Pink Floyd?

What did PF do better? You like their music better? Cool, but lets not act like they ARE better. Currents has musical composition just as good or greater than Pink Floyd's work. I'll give that album a download though. The little bit of Spiritualized i've heard in the past I really liked.

Also, just so you're aware since you only seem to think PF has these things going them, TP is one of the most unique bands with two of the most iconic albums of this generation already under their belt (two points you made about PF). If you don't think 2, possibly all 3 of TP's albums will go down as classics of this generation in time, you're wrong. And their sure as fuck is A LOT more music and access to it now than there was then, so I could even argue that makes it more special.

Well of course we're going to disagree on this when you don't think highly of Currents!!! Not only is Currents my personal favorite from them, it might be one of my all time personal favorite albums period.

You understand influence means nothing, right? If I don't like Nas, but like a modern rapper who was influenced by him, is there a point i'm missing to pointing out the influence? They are the same genre, different artists, but I genuinely feel there are people (not everyone) who would pick a band from that period of the genre simply for nostalgia. Music is the most objective shit there is, but Currents is the finest piece of art by far i've heard from any psych band i've ever listened to, and for me even Lonerism in a lot of ways was progressive for the sound. Currents creatively took this shit to a whole new level for me. I probably like Dark Side and the Wall as much as I like Innerspeaker though. Besides Alter Ego, which is the best beach song ever.

I think our big difference is Currents. It'll be hard to get on the same page when I love that album so fucking much. Also, I know it might seem i have a bias against older music, but its just cause from lurking so long it seems thats what a large majority are into. When music is one of my favorite hobbies, and on the forum I frequent the most by a large margin the majority have an opinion I hate hearing (older shit is the best), I might have come off a bit stand offish.

I disagree about influence, so no I do not understand it "means nothing". Artists build upon their influences, and if an artist doesn't deviate that far from their influences, well then they have hardly transcended the genre as you seem to suggest. Again, Tame Impala have added to the genre, but they have certainly not surpassed everyone else in the past. If some people are guilty of nostalgia, which is true, then I'd say you are guilty of the opposite...going against older bands just because they are older. To me both are equally ridiculous. Maybe you're right and it's a reaction, personally music is also one of my key hobbies and for me, excellent music is found in all eras.

You seem to think I don't think highly of Currents, I do, I think very highly of it and really like a lot of the songs but for my personal tastes I prefer their first two albums is all, which is why I can take it or leave it. Just because I don't love it doesn't mean I can't appreciate how good it is.

"Music is the most objective shit there is", mate I'd say it is the literal opposite. There isn't much more subjective than music.

First of all, its bullshit whenever someone says "if x didn't come along then y never would have". You somehow know how music would have evolved over the past 50 years without Pink Floyd?

Unless we are playing make believe then we can only talk about how music did develop.

I disagree about influence, so no I do not understand it "means nothing". Artists build upon their influences, and if an artist doesn't deviate that far from their influences, well then they have hardly transcended the genre as you seem to suggest. Again, Tame Impala have added to the genre, but they have certainly not surpassed everyone else in the past. If some people are guilty of nostalgia, which is true, then I'd say you are guilty of the opposite...going against older bands just because they are older. To me both are equally ridiculous. Maybe you're right and it's a reaction, personally music is also one of my key hobbies and for me, excellent music is found in all eras.

You seem to think I don't think highly of Currents, I do, I think very highly of it and really like a lot of the songs but for my personal tastes I prefer their first two albums is all, which is why I can take it or leave it. Just because I don't love it doesn't mean I can't appreciate how good it is.

"Music is the most objective shit there is", mate I'd say it is the literal opposite. There isn't much more subjective than music.
You don't think Currents is completely unique and a deviation from any similarity to work of PF? Show me a PF song that sounds similar enough to a song from Currents to make your point then. If possible, i'd also genuinely like to hear an album in the genre anywhere near as creative, cohesive, and diverse as Currents if there is possibly one, which I assume you think so when you view TP as an inclusion to the genre rather than an evolution.

I'm not guilty of it, I already explained that. I personally prefer other eras for other genres. I just don't think people who prefer older music can make an objectively good argument why its better, yet of course some come here to try. The guy I quoted after you failed, and they'll continue to be failed arguments for many reasons. Music is complete objectivity, and anyone who tries to go further than that can and will get shut down very easily.

Unless we are playing make believe then we can only talk about how music did develop.
Well, considering "without PF there is no TP" is a hypothesis, you are inviting a counter theory. We can't confirm what you're saying if the opposite has never played out, now can we? Guess i'm suppose to just assume since it happened that way, removing a factor from the equation can't produce the same result, right? Cmon

Its a really, really shit statement that is far too popular to say when talking music.

Ok mate, Tame Impala are the best psychedelic rock band ever, or whatever..., it's almost 4am here and I really don't feel like a debate. That's not what discussing music is about for me...I'll stick with @FeloniousMonk and so on :)

ps. you still owe me Embrace of the Serpent ;)

Back