Stipe v. Minakov in Russia

I put Blaydes and Volkov at the end because i agree they arent ready yet but if each was to win there next 1-2 fights they are right there

Blaydes is the best prospect in the division as far as I'm concerned so there's something we can agree on. Ruslan Magomedov was right there too for me until we popped for roids. His striking was some of the most effective I've seen at HW although he doesn't seem to have much stopping power.

Ah, well, Combat Sambo has a smaller talent pool, so regardless

You prefer the IMMENSE talent pool of BJJ?...All those grandmas and soccer moms are killers.

Combat Sambo has a smaller talent pool because you get punched in the face then thrown on your face.

as far as I know regular Sambo is more mainstream, I've been told that, but I have no proof

I've never been told the inverse

Sambo has men's, women's and kids of all ages.

Combat Sambo is just men's and juniors.

Maybe YOU should read my comment again, I never said he didn't have talent, I said he is an out of shape overrated slob which he is. To base anything on a win vs Tony Johnson is stupid, Johnson is another sloppy out of shape heavyweight that's extremely one dimensional.

He's out of shape?

Apparently you just missed where the #2 UFC HW just gassed in 2 minutes.

This is the best fight to make after Stipe vs Cain.

I badly want to see Minakov in UFC, I wanted it for many years. Minakov is really good everywhere, he has heavy hands and a great chin, but he is really slick on the ground too. He is one of the most well rounded HW's there is.

I wish UFC will pay him mega money to fight, I know he has a very expensive contract in Russia, he would not be cheap.

It not about the guys he has fought, its more his skillset that I care about.. he is super talented, won many gold medals. Minakov has that cold look in his eyes too.. I reckon he would be a very hard guy to beat.

Do people actually watch Minkanov fight? He is really not all that impressive and has been feed a bunch of cans.

No I saw that and it was embarrassing. When did I say otherwise? I don't think I ever even posted about Ngannou.

No, you posted about Minakov not being in shape.

I'm just kind of wondering where all these A-level super in-shape MMA HW's are lurking.

So he is top 5 by default but his best wins are a terrible fight vs Kongo and the suddenly great Tony Johnson. I like how you have built Johnson up in your own mind to give the win credibility, he is a fat, one trick pony who lies about his wrestling credentials. Minakov is nothing but a can crusher. Guy got saved at the bell vs an old fat DJ Linderman who almost put him out with like 2 seconds left in the round.

... and yet Tony Johnson has wins over Volkov and Derrick Lewis. The #6 and #7 ranked UFC HW's.

No, you posted about Minakov not being in shape.

I'm just kind of wondering where all these A-level super in-shape MMA HW's are lurking.
When he fought Kongo he was visibly tired after a minute when he kneed Kongo in the nuts. In rd2 he was hands on his knees tired. Not everyone does that. If he didnt fight cans that would be exposed. Im not saying he isnt UFC caliber or anything. Clearly he is a top 20 heavyweight but that isnt saying much and i think he gets beat by most of the top 10 pretty easily

... and yet Tony Johnson has wins over Volkov and Derrick Lewis. The #6 and #7 ranked UFC HW's.
He did the wet blanket to 2 guys that cant wrestle. Volkov has improved, added weight/muscle and probably still isnt in his prime.
Ever watched Lewis vs Rosholt? Before the knockout Lewis would get taken down and literally looked like Art Jimmerson on the ground, just laying there. Any mediocre fighter who could wrestle would have beat him at that stage

So he is top 5 by default but his best wins are a terrible fight vs Kongo and the suddenly great Tony Johnson. I like how you have built Johnson up in your own mind to give the win credibility, he is a fat, one trick pony who lies about his wrestling credentials. Minakov is nothing but a can crusher. Guy got saved at the bell vs an old fat DJ Linderman who almost put him out with like 2 seconds left in the round.

Insert gif where scrub struve ko'd stipe

What's with all these champs having to go to Russia to fight challengers?

I want to see Minikov in the UFC but jumping to a title shot seems a bit much. His gas tank is bad, he throws too many haymakers, hands are always low, takes big punches.

When he fought Kongo he was visibly tired after a minute when he kneed Kongo in the nuts. In rd2 he was hands on his knees tired. Not everyone does that. If he didnt fight cans that would be exposed. Im not saying he isnt UFC caliber or anything. Clearly he is a top 20 heavyweight but that isnt saying much and i think he gets beat by most of the top 10 pretty easily

I just watched the fight now and apparently you've never seen it.

He was not visibly tired in the first at all, and in the second the only time he put his hands on his knees was because Cheick Kongo was in the middle of clearly faking a nutshot when he was actually kneed in the gut. If Minakov spoke better English than he probably would have finished Kongo right there, as Herb Dean was telling Kongo it was a legal blow and Minakov didn't seem to know what was going on and waited for Kongo to come forward again before continuing to fight. He should have kicked him in the face.

He did the wet blanket to 2 guys that cant wrestle. Volkov has improved, added weight/muscle and probably still isnt in his prime.
Ever watched Lewis vs Rosholt? Before the knockout Lewis would get taken down and literally looked like Art Jimmerson on the ground, just laying there. Any mediocre fighter who could wrestle would have beat him at that stage

It's not like it's any harder to take Derrick Lewis down now. His back is fucked and he was taken down 7 times by Roy Nelson, 5 times by Victor Pesta, and 4 times by Abdurakhimov.

Back