Stipe v. Minakov in Russia

Look who Alvarez has fought in the ufc. He's done fine and proven himself to be a threat to pretty much anyone.
Well you can argue that he should be 0-3 in UFC before his titleshot. In my opinion giving a titleshot to non-UFC fighter as his first fight is not a good idea. Maybe it's ok if he is a replacement or everyone in top-15 are either injured or on a losing streak.

I just watched the fight now and apparently you've never seen it.

He was not visibly tired in the first at all, and in the second the only time he put his hands on his knees was because Cheick Kongo was in the middle of clearly faking a nutshot when he was actually kneed in the gut. If Minakov spoke better English than he probably would have finished Kongo right there, as Herb Dean was telling Kongo it was a legal blow and Minakov didn't seem to know what was going on and waited for Kongo to come forward again before continuing to fight. He should have kicked him in the face.
Did you not see him in between rd 2-3? Looking like he was about to die of oxygen deprivation. Yeah he was hurting early for sure and looked like shit that whole fight, barely beating Kongo. He is just very fortunate Kongo has always been atrocious off of his back.

Blaydes is the best prospect in the division as far as I'm concerned so there's something we can agree on. Ruslan Magomedov was right there too for me until we popped for roids. His striking was some of the most effective I've seen at HW although he doesn't seem to have much stopping power.
Hey we agree on something lol. I like Blaydes a lot and at his age has time to become a something special. Magomedov was very interesting, tons of skill but legit no power at all.

It's not like it' harder to take Derrick Lewis down now. His back is fucked and he was taken down 7 times by Roy Nelson, 5 times by Victor Pesta, and 4 times by Abdurakhimov.
My point was if Lewis got taken down earlier in his career he wasnt getting up. Im not denying that his tdd sucks, it obviously does. The difference is now at least theres chance he can get up.

Minakov said he was injured when he fought Kongo, can't remember what was wrong with him, shoulder I think.

Have Volkov win a TOP 5 fight till September and put him vs Stipe. Giving a guy outside of UFC an immediate title shot is a little too ridiculous. Even though it's NewFC and thin ass HW division, it's still not quite right. Eddie and Gaethje didn't get immediate title shots despite belts and good records before it.

LW is always stacked with contenders though so it's a little less reasonable to give them an immediate shot.

First they should give DJ Linderman another chance against Minakov. Trilogy is looming.

Did you not see him in between rd 2-3? Looking like he was about to die of oxygen deprivation. Yeah he was hurting early for sure and looked like shit that whole fight, barely beating Kongo. He is just very fortunate Kongo has always been atrocious off of his back.

Barely beating Kongo?

Now it's pretty obvious you've never seen the fight lol

He won like 4-1 and a few of the rounds were close when both guys had top position.

Minakov hurt him multiple times, outlanded him by at least 10-1, and the only offense Kongo had in the entire fight was in round 4 where he got a takedown and then received about 20 warnings by Herb Dean to stop holding the shorts and when he finally did, Minakov stood up and took him down.

There was nothing "close" about the fight.

People are taking this thread too seriously, especially considering this fight that has little to no chance of happening.

Minakov hurt him multiple times, outlanded him by at least 10-1, and the only offense Kongo had in the entire fight was in round 4 where he got a takedown and then received about 20 warnings by Herb Dean to stop holding the shorts and when he finally did, Minakov stood up and took him down.

There was nothing "close" about the fight.
Minakov definitely won but don't pretend rd3 wasn't close with both guys having top control and not doing anything with it. Also Kongo blitzed him early in the round and Minakov had to resort to clinching up which initiated the ground work in the round. Kongo easily won rd4 so i wont even get into that. You act like Vitaly put on some kind of clinic in the fight which just isnt the case.

Overall the fight sucked and was sloppy as hell and not a good display for either guy. Minakov came in overweight and looked like shit

Minakov definitely won but don't pretend rd3 wasn't close with both guys having top control and not doing anything with it. Also Kongo blitzed him early in the round and Minakov had to resort to clinching up which initiated the ground work in the round. Kongo easily won rd4 so i wont even get into that. You act like Vitaly put on some kind of clinic in the fight which just isnt the case.

Overall the fight sucked and was sloppy as hell and not a good display for either guy. Minakov came in overweight and looked like shit

Round 3 wasn't close. One guy had top control for like 30 seconds, the other for much more. Kongo didn't even throw a punch when he had top control, the other threw tons of strikes.

I never said it was a clinic, but it was a very clear cut decision where Minakov did a fair bit of damage and Kongo held on for life and was faking nutshots to recover from the damage inflicted to him.

Round 3 wasn't close. One guy had top control for like 30 seconds, the other for much more. Kongo didn't even throw a punch when he had top control, the other threw tons of strikes.

I never said it was a clinic, but it was a very clear cut decision where Minakov did a fair bit of damage and Kongo held on for life and was faking nutshots to recover from the damage inflicted to him.
Minakov was the one desperately trying to get it to the mat while super gassed. He wanted no part of striking exchanges as the fight wore on

Well look at Bellator champions in UFC - Lombard, Brooks, Soto. Alvarez lost his first fight in UFC. In my opinion if UFC will make this fight they are legit idiots.
Eddie Alvarez became UFC champion.

Let's have Minakov win a fight against someone half decent first. He's not a wildly impressive fighter, by any means.

Let's have Minakov win a fight against someone half decent first. He's not a wildly impressive fighter, by any means.

Kongo and Volkov I believe fit in the halfway decent category. I believe Tony Johnson and Josh Copeland do as well. Listen he hasn't had great competition yet, but he's won all the fights and showed skills and grit. The HW division doesn't have too many contenders left that's why I thought it would be fun. Cain or DC is a better option but other than those 2 I don't see a better fight for Stipe right now. Werdum? No thanks, Stipe made him look like an idiot.

Back