Stipe on JRE: "I can't do it, I hate it" (promoting)

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Joe brought up that you need a combination of promotion & fighting to be a draw & Stipe said "I can't do it, I hate it".

Joe said that he thinks Stipe can be sold as a "blue collar, working class guy that is a fireman" & that can sell (I agree)

Stipe said "Its exhausting to think about what to say" & then added "I have more important things to think about - like my kitchen I'm putting in"

Stipe said he does not want to hurt others feelings by shit-talking.

I like Stipe & a huge fan
I also think UFC could have done better by promoting him as a working class hero, but for a guy that wants more money, I don't get it

He began the interview by saying he had some UFC obligations after JRE & wasn't looking forward to it!

I can't see him doing it either.

He's not a real good talker, and he seems like a genuine nice guy. Mighty mouse is also just too nice to smack talk.

In the age of theatrics and clown shows tho, I can understand why they are looked at as 'boring' compared to the louder, flamboyant guys.

Joe brought up that you need a combination of promotion & fighting to be a draw & Stipe said "I can't do it, I hate it".

Joe said that he thinks Stipe can be sold as a "blue collar, working class guy that is a fireman" & that can sell (I agree)

Stipe said "Its exhausting to think about what to say" & then added "I have more important things to think about - like my kitchen I'm putting in"

I also think UFC could have done better by promoting him as a working class hero, but for a guy tht wants more money, I don't get it

He began the interview by saying he had some UFC obligations after JRE & wasn't looking forward to it!
I think he's one of those old school fighters who just wants to fight. I'm the same way with my writing for example. I loved writing my novel but I hate that I have to market it now, even though I knew it was part of the game going in.

He's not a real good talker, and he seems like a genuine nice guy. Mighty mouse is also just too nice to smack talk.
If he keeps winning he can become a Fedor/ Jones type fighter who's famous for being unbeatable. That might be the fame that he'd like the most.

I think he's one of those old school fighters who just wants to fight. I'm the same way with my writing for example. I loved writing my novel but I hate that I have to market it now, even though I knew it was part of the game going in.

I understand it
But to say he doesn't want to do promotion for his fight, but wants more money is silly

If he beats Naganou will be greatest UFC HW Ever with 3 title Defenses

If Stipe plays smart he can do this. He has cardio and experience.

#AndStill
Stipe-miocic%20(2).jpg

I also think UFC could have done better by promoting him as a working class hero, but for a guy tht wants more money, I don't get it

Unfortunately it's a massive part of the game if you wan't to make big money.

Weird that a guy who fights for a living potentially has a fear of public speaking (or whatever his issue with doing promos is).

You'd think he'd be working with a PR firm every day, sort of an investment in himself to make more money in the long run.

Reminds me of Cain in this regard. No need to hype it up when you are the hype. Fuck that noise.

Not just smack talk, but he began by saying he was not looking forward to the fight promotion obligations.
It is part of the job as a main eventer & certainly part of being a draw & thus getting paid more

Last edited:
he doesn't want to promote but wants the kind of money good promoting fighters get

Stipe is so likable IMO

Joe brought up how Chael realized how to make money by promoting his fights & Stipe said "What did he do, take a class or something?"
lol

he doesn't want to promote but wants the kind of money good promoting fighters get

That's the weird thing
Hopefully whomever wins the next fight is a big enough draw to do decent numbers & make bank

I always understand and respect guy's that struggle to promote themselves. Lawler, Frankie, Stipe etc.

BUT these guy's need to understand and respect they they don't deserve the kind of money Perry, Conor, Joanna etc will be able to command.

If I worked in an office and all I wanted to do was sit in my cubicle and crunch numbers, I can't be mad at the new charismatic guy that comes in, makes a connection with my managers and get's the supervisor position.

Promotion brings in interest, and interest brings in money. If you don't generate money, you don't deserve money.

Stipe is so likable IMO

Joe brought up how Chael realized how to make money by promoting his fights & Stipe said "What did he do, take a class or something?"
lol

Supposedly Chael paid Rowdy Roddy Piper to train him in the art of pro wrestling promos. I believe it.

You either have it or you don't and at least he's honest that he doesn't have it.

And he's throwing millions of dollars out the window by being a promotional bore.

Back