Why didn't Dana offer Stipe the interim title fight?

Should Dana pay Stipe?

• Total voters

Cooliox

Steel Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stipe just went on record to say that he is bummed out that the UFC didn't offer him an interim title fight.

He said he couldn't sleep after hearing the news that Jones pulled out.

Stipe was already in camp. Apparently he had taken months off from his Fireman work to prepare for the Jones fight.

I think Stipe deserves to be compensated.

It's just hilarious that Dana says that he's not offering Stipe his fight or his pay because he doesn't want to disrespect Stipe with an interim title fight. Did you at least ask Stipe what it is that he wants? Cause he just said he wants to fight. He wants his paycheck.

Typical of Dana to make decisions on what's best for other people.

Meanwhile Dana doesn't pay Wonderboy even after making weight, because Wonderboy refused to accept a last minute replacement fight. Dana put DDP on the shit list for not accepting a 6 week turnaround from the Whittaker fight to fight Izzy.

There just seems to be no consistency.

If you're not going to let the man fight for the interim belt even though he wants to, then at least pay the man. It's not his fault that Jones has weak pecs.

I don’t understand why Dana wouldn’t let Stipe fight for the interim title. If he wins he’s more marketable when Jones recovers, if he loses then Dana has a borderline Ace card in making Jones fight the winner.

Dana’s move makes the Stipe v Jones fight lose so much luster, especially if the winner of interim title fight looks great.

I don’t understand why Dana wouldn’t let Stipe fight for the interim title. If he wins he’s more marketable when Jones recovers, if he loses then Dana has a borderline Ace card in making Jones fight the winner.

Dana’s move makes the Stipe v Jones fight lose so much luster, especially if the winner of interim title fight looks great.
I think it's pretty clear that Dana didn't want to honor the contract that Stipe was getting to fight Jones.

Obviously, it's good money to bring Stipe out of retirement and to take him away from his Fireman job that he loves.

I don't think Dana is willing to pay Stipe that to fight someone else. Sucks for Stipe. He did leave his job for months to prepare for this.

Worst part is Dana making it sound like he respects Stipe... when we all know it's BS. Dana had always treated Stipe poorly. Ever since he was champion.

So Dana just got done explaining to us the wonder boy situation and then takes the fight away from stipe with no replacement offer/pay???

That I understand but Jones v Stipe/Interim Winner makes more money than any (realistically) possible fight, not involving Conor. What he loses in paying Stipe, is peanuts compared to that potential matchup.

I’m also assuming that Dana figures Jones to win, so the risk of Francis cheapening the HW belt is small. I know it’s MMA math, but Jones’s victory over Gane (compared to Francis’s) has mostly validated the current HW belt.

It’s rare that I say this when it comes to the business, bottom line; but this is a terrible decision by Dana. Jones vs Stipe delayed wont crack Jones’s top 3 PPVs. Jones vs an Interim winner (who has to go through a familiar name in Stipe or is Stipe) would Jones’s biggest PPV yet. His status as a HW is both highly marketable and mysterious, because of the dominant, yet short victory over Gane.

because the most marketable fight is Stipe and Jon. there's 2 reasons why they don't put Stipe in. they don't want Stipe to get brutally finished which would kill the Jon fight and kill the most marketable HW fight available. the other reason is, if Stipe wins he's got 1 foot out the door already and the world saw Ngannou sleep him. they don't need another Ngannou situation happening where the champ walks off with the belt and they definitely don't want every casual to be like "isn't the UFC champ the guy Ngannou slumped?"

Wow this leaves no doubt the ufc saw Stipe as a can to feed to Jones

And then to say they did it so as to NOT to disrespect him???

200w.gif

Because Dana wants Stipe vs Jones. Because Jones wants Stipe vs Jones. Because for all we or they know, Stipe might have only one fight left in him. It sucks, but for all the painful analogies Stipe is making he also sounds philosophical about it. I'm just shocked he didn't use the cliche "it is what it is"

Wow this leaves no doubt the ufc saw Stipe as a can to feed to Jones

And then to say they did it so as to NOT to disrespect him???

200w.gif
"The Greatest HW of all Time" as Dana puts it, literally had to get on OnlyFans to make money.

There's a whole thread about it.

Not the nude stuff. But some type of content.

If I were to guess, they want Jon to fight the new blood before retiring after Stipe (assuming he beats Stipe)

If Jon defends against Stipe and retires while there's an interim champ present it would not be great look

"wow he left without unifying the belt !"

Stipe just went on record to say that he is bummed out that the UFC didn't offer him an interim title fight.

He said he couldn't sleep after hearing the news that Jones pulled out.

Stipe was already in camp. Apparently he had taken months off from his Fireman work to prepare for the Jones fight.

I think Stipe deserves to be compensated.

It's just hilarious that Dana says that he's not offering Stipe his fight or his pay because he doesn't want to disrespect Stipe with an interim title fight. Did you at least ask Stipe what it is that he wants? Cause he just said he wants to fight. He wants his paycheck.

Typical of Dana to make decisions on what's best for other people.

Meanwhile Dana doesn't pay Wonderboy even after making weight, because Wonderboy refused to accept a last minute replacement fight. Dana put DDP on the shit list for not accepting a 6 week turnaround from the Whittaker fight to fight Izzy.

There just seems to be no consistency.

If you're not going to let the man fight for the interim belt even though he wants to, then at least pay the man. It's not his fault that Jones has weak pecs.
He definitely does. But Goof gonna Goof. I honestly think they would rather see Stipe go out from their 2nd Tier Golden Boy. Conor being 1st tier. Dont want to waste him on the young and hungry. Although I think Jone and Stipe could beat both Aspinal and Pavlovich.

It's really quite simple:

1. Pavlovich most likely would have beaten Stipe.
2. Jones is only at HW for specific (i.e., easier) fights. He wants to beat Stipe and then ride off into the sunset proclaiming himself the GOAT. He would have turned down a Pavlovich unification fight.
3. Therefore, the UFC wouldn't have gotten one last payday off of Jones. This way, they theoretically get BOTH the Jones-Stipe charade and the Pavlovich-Aspinall title fight.

Back