Steven Seagal devastates Russian aikido masters

That´s a pure Alpha right there!

Legend

If a black belt in aikido gets a hold of your arm or your hand or any small joints you're going for a ride. They will grab your wrist turn it slightly and the next thing you know your flying through the air to prevent your wrist snapping. It's not a real martial art. There are no competitions. But they do have some real skills. A black belt in Aikido would fuck up a dude off the street imo. My dad is a lawyer and fucked a con up trying to escape using Aikido. It was in the newspaper and there was a blog about it.
Never really looked into to it so thanks for your reply. No doubt it has it's uses and understandably it's an exhibition but I was just curious as to how useful it is overall. Perhaps very useful for police officers etc and to accompany some other TMA etc.

Cheers.

So, yeah, this looks plenty stupid when you're expecting some real fighting to take place. I've seen these sequences live when I was visiting one of my best mates' dojo on a few occasions, the dojo owner and a real-aikido 3rd dan black belt was "crushing" guys left and right in his late 50s. There are two families of aikido techniques - ki (or traditional) aikido, very much focusing on this type of stuff, techniques that don't necessarily have real-life application, more for martial-art-as-a-sport purists. Then there is real-aikido which this dude was a founding father of, more focused on real life scenarios and application for military and law enforcement. Gling back to watching him do his thing, it wasn't unlike what Seagal does here, but I can tell you this much right away - some of the techniques that are very simple to execute and look stupid in a video like this are fight-enders irl. One dodged punch opens a black belt to dozens of different choices of how to end the fight, and the technique execution will never look as clean aa in these demos, but rest assured, if they manage to grab your wrist, or you miss and they are close to your upper body, it doesn't have to be pretty for you to be royally fucked.

One other thing to keep in mind - demo dudes know how to fall. Average drunk Joe starting a parking lot brawl is out-out after one bad fall.

Aikido looks inane here but there's a reason why military and law enforcement train their staff in it...

I still remember watching his movies when I was little with my family. Such a great actor.

The GOAT
Al6lJ.gif

giphy.gif

HardToKill-01-sg.gif

You are a straight beta if you didnt enjoy steven seagal movies

I mean, its just a demonstration, think of it like a UFC open workout. I'm not saying Seagal is legit but there's surely people who can do that joint manipulation shit for real, you just don't think about it because it's not allowed in MMA.

There are things you can take from Aikido to put into an integrated combat system but as a stand alone martial science it is definitely lacking in many areas because they do little to no actual sparring to see what technics are actually effective and how to apply them in real combat scenarios.

Wow that many people I am impressed and that for some kindergarden show without contact. And Seagal walks around like a hobo who has seen to many special forces movies.

The most interesting for me is always how westerners often leave their brain at the entrance when its about exotic specialsecret asian martial arts. But russia has its own "aikido" called Systema.

I think everybody outside of Russia thinks Seagal is full of shit.

Junior lol small joints

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?11046-Aikido-worked
That's my dad. He was a very serious black belt as was my mom. He trained sword fighting through aikido as well. He knocked out all my baby teeth throwing me around the house. He was a very tough guy, he could absolutely fuck people up using Aikido. He said what it does for everyone like all martial arts is it slows everything down. Like your opponent is moving in slow motion. If he gets a hold of any small joints you are fucked.

Aikido looks inane here but there's a reason why military and law enforcement train their staff in it...

Who? As in a serious real military, not something like the army of Panama.

Law enforcement I can believe because local yokels are full of shit like those who gave a badge to Seagal.

Back