Spielberg beat James Cameron to Jurassic Park rights by only a few hours

Titanic isn’t my thing. It’s not bad but it’s like Schlock imo.

The Abyss is much much better than Titanic and has real heart felt moments as well.

I like Cameron a lot but his movies are one note. Steve is just so much better than him imo. Even his camera work is much much better

I'm curious, did you see Titanic back when it came out in 97? Or did you catch it later on? I ask because I saw that in the theater a few days after it came out (my girlfriend dragged me to it, I was like "this is gonna suck....HOW long did you say it is?!") and my mind was blown that night. That still to this day is one of the best theater experiences I've ever had. It sounds stupid but that movie made me and my girlfriend literally fall in love, like, that night. Right then and there. It was nuts. All that from the guy that made freaking Aliens and Terminator, lol.

But watching it today, yeah the dialogue seems a little cringy at times, and a few of the cgi effects are obvious. But back in 97, for whatever reason, that dialogue didn't seem cringy at all. I guess movies back then had similar dialogue that by today's standards seem cringy, but they just didn't back then. I mean, look at the dialogue in Twister, which came out the year before Titanic. I love Twister (another fav movie theater experience) but a LOT of it seems really silly today. Not so much back then, though.

/ end rant. lol

tl;dr version - I love Titanic

I'm curious, did you see Titanic back when it came out in 97? Or did you catch it later on? I ask because I saw that in the theater a few days after it came out (my girlfriend dragged me to it, I was like "this is gonna suck....HOW long did you say it is?!") and my mind was blown that night. That still to this day is one of the best theater experiences I've ever had. It sounds stupid but that movie made me and my girlfriend at the time literally fall in love, like, that night. It was nuts. All that from the guy that made freaking Aliens and Terminator, lol.

But watching it today, yeah the dialogue seems a little cringy at times, and a few of the cgi effects are obvious. But back in 97, for whatever reason, that dialogue didn't seem cringy at all. I guess movies back then had similar dialogue that by today's standards seem cringy, but they just didn't back then. I mean, look at the dialogue in Twister, which came out the year before Titanic. I love Twister (another fav movie theater experience) but a LOT of it seems really silly today. Not so much back then, though.

/ end rant. lol

tl;dr version: I love Titanic

Listen I like Cameron a lot. The terminators, Abyss, Aliens. All awesome.

It’s just that Steve is on another level. I think technically speaking he’s just the better director and has done it all.

Although I would love if Cameron made a Star Wars movie. That will never happen but it’s a dream of mine.

Listen I like Cameron a lot. The terminators, Abyss, Aliens. All awesome.

It’s just that Steve is on another level. I think technically speaking he’s just the better director and has done it all.

Although I would love if Cameron made a Star Wars movie. That will never happen but it’s a dream of mine.

I meant to comment on what you said about The Abyss. I agree completely, it's really underrated.

And you may be right about Spielberg. I love Spielberg. And what you said about his camera work, just the other night I caught War of the Worlds on tv. I remember being meh about it when it first came out. But rewtaching it the other night, Spielberg did a LOT of really cool things with the camera work in that movie. I was surprised I never noticed it before. There's a scene where they're driving and the camera circles around the car, into the car, back out of the car, all while speeding down a highway. I wondered how he did that, lol. I'm sure it was cgi but it looked really good for 2005. Anyway, I haven't gone back and rewatched much of his stuff from a director's standpoint, and I need to. I still LOVE the gif I posted in the OP of the water rippling when the T Rex is approaching. That was brilliant.

I never thought about a Cameron's Star Wars. That would be awesome. Almost everything he does is awesome though.....except for Avatar. :(

I meant to comment on what you said about The Abyss. I agree completely, it's really underrated.

And you may be right about Spielberg. I love Spielberg. And what you said about his camera work, just the other night I caught War of the Worlds on tv. I remember being meh about it when it first came out. But rewtaching it the other night, Spielberg did a LOT of really cool things with the camera work in that movie. I was surprised I never noticed it before. There's a scene where they're driving and the camera circles around the car, into the car, back out of the car, all while speeding down a highway. I wondered how he did that, lol. I'm sure it was cgi but it looked really good for 2005. Anyway, I haven't gone back and rewatched much of his stuff from a director's standpoint, and I need to. I still LOVE the gif I posted in the OP of the water rippling when the T Rex is approaching. That was brilliant.

I never thought about a Cameron's Star Wars. That would be awesome. Almost everything he does is awesome though.....except for Avatar. :(

War of the worlds is Steve’s most underrated movie.

Avatar is cookie cutter but the world building is so much fun.

I don’t want you to think I don’t lien Cameron, i do, I love the guy in fact but that’s how good Steve is.

T2 is one of my all time favorite movies. Cameron is a great director but I don’t think he makes enough films. But the ones he made are great.

What Steve does better than just about anyoneelse is the long shot. This camera technique is something he’s mastered

Titanic is Schlock. It’s bubblegum.

Say what you will about the story, there's no denying that the film was an enormous technical achievement. Cameron has always been on the cutting edge in that regard and Titanic is no exception.

War of the worlds is Steve’s most underrated movie.

Avatar is cookie cutter but the world building is so much fun.

I don’t want you to think I don’t lien Cameron, i do, I love the guy in fact but that’s how good Steve is.

T2 is one of my all time favorite movies. Cameron is a great director but I don’t think he makes enough films. But the ones he made are great.

What Steve does better than just about anyoneelse is the long shot. This camera technique is something he’s mastered

It's cool man like I said, I love both too....I think everybody does. I dig Cameron's work more but still love Spielberg.

The long shot....is that where he does one long take without cutting? If that's what you mean, then yeah bro I agree those are impressive. Scorcese is good at those, too.

I mean, look at the dialogue in Twister, which came out the year before Titanic. I love Twister (another fav movie theater experience) but a LOT of it seems really silly today.

Twister was awesome then and it's awesome now, and the dialogue is also awesome.

:D

lol I swear I WILL get to those one of these days SP. And you have my word, as soon as I see them I'm gonna make a thread and tag you in it.

I don't understand what the fucking problem is. Is there a reason you haven't just watched them? Is it that hard to put a 2-hour movie on and sit through it?

I'm starting to take it personally!

A Cameron JP with Avatar undertones?

images

I don't understand what the fucking problem is. Is there a reason you haven't just watched them? Is it that hard to put a 2-hour movie on and sit through it?

I'm starting to take it personally!

Truth is I'm on a limited data plan. 5 gigs per month. If I stream a movie my data's gonna be used up in like 1 week, lol. To see those movies I'm gonna have to wait till they come on tv. Or just break down and go buy the dvds :(

Spielberg gave us the best goddamn movie ending of all time

Truth is I'm on a limited data plan. 5 gigs per month. If I stream a movie my data's gonna be used up in like 1 week, lol. To see those movies I'm gonna have to wait till they come on tv. Or just break down and go buy the dvds :(

So all the movies you watch are on TV?

pretty much, yeah

All right, well here's what you do. . .

1. Move somewhere where you can get proper Internet.

2. Switch to Boost Mobile for your cell service and pay $60 a month and then you get 20 GB of hotspot data with your cell plan.

2. Switch to Boost Mobile for your cell service and pay $60 a month and then you get 20 GB of hotspot data with your cell plan.

Nice. I'm on t mobile now and they're service is fine but I pay $50 a month for 5 gb. Might actually look into Boost Mobile.

Nice. I'm on t mobile now and they're service is fine but I pay $50 a month for 5 gb. Might actually look into Boost Mobile.

Through Boost (which is owned by Sprint) for $60 you get unlimited data with 20 GB allowed to be used over the hotspot. Look into it.

You wouldn't want to stream Netflix if you only have 20 GB but there are other ways to watch movies that will only eat up about 700 meg per movie.

Say what you will about the story, there's no denying that the film was an enormous technical achievement. Cameron has always been on the cutting edge in that regard and Titanic is no exception.

I mean no one can deny that. Schlock isn't even bad when it's done the right away.

He was on the cutting edge with avatar also. And t2

It's cool man like I said, I love both too....I think everybody does. I dig Cameron's work more but still love Spielberg.

The long shot....is that where he does one long take without cutting? If that's what you mean, then yeah bro I agree those are impressive. Scorcese is good at those, too.

Yeah that's the long take.
If you want to see an example of a long take that was masterfully done watch the opening sequence in Boogie Nights. That's not a Spielberg movie but just a great example of that technique used by a top notch director

Back