Spielberg beat James Cameron to Jurassic Park rights by only a few hours

Ya never know. Cameron has an unbeaten track record of making sequels that are > the originals.

But I just don't know, in this case. I don't care anything about the Avatar universe or any of those characters. So he's gonna have a hard time making me give a crap about 4 more movies set in that world. I guess we'll see.

Yeah man I know you know whats up

I like Alien better for the same reasons I like T1 better

T1 vs T2 can be debated endlessly, as well as Alien and Aliens. But James Cameron is the indisputed sequel king, including writing First Blood 2.

To be fair to him as well a lot of that success is based on not looking to copy the original film too closely, Aliens is fundamentally different to Alien in style and T2 whilst perhaps not as big a shift is still very different as well rather than being another thriller/horror with a new Terminator/Guardian.

For the Avatar sequels to do well I do think he's likely to need to follow this pattern again, just remaking the first film is not IMHO likely to go down that well. Most obviously I think he's going to need to introduce more moral complexity to both sides of any conflict.

To be fair to him as well a lot of that success is based on not looking to copy the original film too closely, Aliens is fundamentally different to Alien in style and T2 whilst perhaps not as big a shift is still very different as well rather than being another thriller/horror with a new Terminator/Guardian.

For the Avatar sequels to do well I do think he's likely to need to follow this pattern again, just remaking the first film is not IMHO likely to go down that well. Most obviously I think he's going to need to introduce more moral complexity to both sides of any conflict.

The storylines for Rambo 2 and Aliens are actually quite similar, and build well on the characters, past traumas / battles and past settings. I think it's a wiser bet that James Cameron will build effectively on the first Avatar as opposed to betting that he won't.

The storylines for Rambo 2 and Aliens are actually quite similar, and build well on the characters, past traumas / battles and past settings. I think it's a wiser bet that James Cameron will build effectively on the first Avatar as opposed to betting that he won't.

He is giving of worryingly Lucas like signs to me though, I mean the original Avatar did show he's kept more directing/writing ability than old George but it did still feel watered down compared to his earlier work to me. If the sequels are going to do well I think he's going to need to tap into a kind of writting/direction we haven't seen from him since T2.

Back more on the topic I would again say I'v never been THAT big a fan of Jurassic Park, I mean its a well made thriller with some excellent effects work but still its always come across as rather lacking in real imagination and character to me, it basically feels every bit a Michael Crichton airport best seller novel of a film. Its following T2 to me does seem like a clear sign of the decline of the blockbuster in the 90's as it looked to go after a safer family market with less inspired films heavily dependant on CGI, I mean its clearly far better than the likes of ID4 but is a signpost on the way to them and not a patch on T2 for me.

True story.

Went to the movies as a kid. Choice was between last action hero and Jurassic Park.

Picked last action hero. Funnily enough arnold turned down the lead role in Jurassic Park for last action hero instead.

I'll take a magic golden ticket any day of the week over some lame ass dinosaurs.

Arnold Bless...

last3.jpg
Severely underrated movie. It shouldn't have been the one to end his hot streak.
To be fair, on paper, Last Action Hero SHOULD have been huge. It was an extremely smart, meta script (maybe the first meta movie?) written by Shane Black, an awesome screenplay writer (he wrote Lethal Weapon and parts of Predator). And it was directed by John McTiernan, the only director I'd possibly put above James Cameron for action movies. McTiernan directed Die Hard, Predator, The Hunt For Red October.

I still don't understand how it didn't turn out better than it did. It was good and I like it, but it was far from great.

Heh, funny thought: Imagine Spielberg's version of Last Action Hero. :D He'd be PERFECT for that. A kid gets a magical movie ticket that transports him into movies, that came from Harry Houdini? That's Spielberg territory for sure

:(

The Last Action Hero was a fun family ride. If you were seeking it to be one of Arnold’s five star classics I humbly regret to inform you it’s not. Yet it really pushed the envelope for Arnold and supported him being an a-pex action star through the 1990’s. If I remember correctly JCVD even had a red carpet cameo in TLAH. I would claim Arnold was in top form with TLAH, True Lies and Eraser. Box office totals are way overrated here anyway as Arnold was actively huge at the time. IMO the Arnold career sink happened after Eraser.

The Last Action Hero was a fun family ride. If you were seeking it to be one of Arnold’s five star classics I humbly regret to inform you it’s not. Yet it really pushed the envelope for Arnold and supported him being an a-pex action star through the 1990’s. If I remember correctly JCVD even had a red carpet cameo in TLAH. I would claim Arnold was in top form with TLAH, True Lies and Eraser. Box office totals are way overrated here anyway as Arnold was actively huge at the time. IMO the Arnold career sink happened after Eraser.

It was a very clever movie. The annoying kid took away from it a bit, but it was still a good example of the intelligent stories Arnold was bringing to the screen like Total Recall, The Running Man and The Terminator.

It was a big deal when Last Action Hero didn't perform huge at the box office. It was heavily promoted, the AC/DC song and video were big, and it really seemed like Arnold couldn't deliver anything but massive hit after massive hit.

By the time Eraser rolled around, he was still a huge star, but had been revealed to be human.

Titanic isn’t my thing. It’s not bad but it’s like Schlock imo.

The Abyss is much much better than Titanic and has real heart felt moments as well.

I like Cameron a lot but his movies are one note. Steve is just so much better than him imo. Even his camera work is much much better

The ring scenes from The Abyss felt far more human than anything in Titanic.

I have to say that as much as I love Jurassic Park, I'd still pay to see Cameron's take on it. The man gave us Titanic and T2.

Yeah, after you watch Pain & Gain and 13 Hours you fucking dickhead.
Pain and Gain is pretty underrated. Everybody I know who has seen it bashes it for having such stupid characters, when that is literally the entire point of the movie: a couple of morons try to pull a huge con job and epically shit the bed numerous times.

It's not too inaccurate either, from what I've read.

jurassic park is on right now and just from watching it for a couple of minutes i get the idea

that cameron would def have been a better creative mind but spielberg is the better business man cuz he knew how to turn the movie into a franchise/commodity

Spielberg’s Jurassic Park was so good that I don’t even care to wonder what Cameron’s version would be like, and I like Cameron’s movies for the most part.

Been 20 years since I read it but I remember the book being both really good and the film being pretty faithful to it. Couple more people die (Hammond, Malcolm), and the odd scene is cut, but can't really remember the film straying too far from it.
Ya the book ïs good.

It was a very clever movie. The annoying kid took away from it a bit, but it was still a good example of the intelligent stories Arnold was bringing to the screen like Total Recall, The Running Man and The Terminator.

It was a big deal when Last Action Hero didn't perform huge at the box office. It was heavily promoted, the AC/DC song and video were big, and it really seemed like Arnold couldn't deliver anything but massive hit after massive hit.

By the time Eraser rolled around, he was still a huge star, but had been revealed to be human.

I just watched Eraser again for the first time in years and I didn’t enjoy it as much as before. I think I even prefer TLAH over Eraser if I had to pick now.

I just watched Eraser again for the first time in years and I didn’t enjoy it as much as before. I think I even prefer TLAH over Eraser now if I had to pick.

I think Last Action Hero is quite a clever and underrated movie. Eraser is among the worst films in Arnold's prime or close to prime. I like Collateral Damage, End of Days and The 6th Day better from around that era.

It's still not terrible but it's very unremarkable.

Back