Spielberg beat James Cameron to Jurassic Park rights by only a few hours

Agent Mulder's Hair

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The other night on James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction, Cameron and Spielberg were talking to each other about films and Jurassic Park came up. Cameron said he tried to get the rights but Spielberg had just barely beaten him to it. Spielberg just laughed

steven-spielberg.jpg

And Cameron told Spielberg that the Jurassic Park he would have made would have been like 'Aliens' with dinosaurs. And it would've been R rated. And much nastier than the film Spielberg made. But Cameron also said when he saw the film Spielberg made, he knew that the director's chair had gone to the right man. He said Spielberg was smart to make it a family movie. And he said Spielberg still made it scary, just scary enough, but never crossed the line to becoming straight horror.

That was the first time I'd ever heard about this. James Cameron's Jurassic Park??? :eek: Damn I would have loved to have seen that. Spielberg made an all time classic but I would still like to see Cameron's version. The "nasty, R rated, Aliens-ish, Jurassic Park.

What do you guys think....would Cameron's Jurassic Park have been as good or better than Spielberg's?

I also found a print interview Cameron did about JP. Apparently we were only HOURS away from getting James Cameron's Jurassic Park!

: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...park-film-rights-franchise-book-a8287876.html

The Jurassic Park franchise almost ended up rather differently with Steven Spielberg ousting James Cameron to directing rights by a few hours.

Spielberg won the chance to adapt Michael Crichton's novel which Aliens director Cameron himself levels was probably a good thing.

The filmmaker, speaking to Huffinton Post at the Titanic Museum in Belfast, revealed that any animosity he felt dispersed the moment he saw Spielberg's 1993 classic.

“When I saw the film, I realised that I was not the right person to make the film - he was,” Cameron said, adding: |Because he made a dinosaur movie for kids, and mine would have been aliens with dinosaurs, and that wouldn’t have been fair."

He continued: “Dinosaurs are for 8-year-olds. We can all enjoy it, too, but kids get dinosaurs and they should not have been excluded for that. His sensibility was right for that film, I’d have gone further, nastier - much nastier.”

Spielberg acquired adaptation rights with assistance from Universal Studios for $1.5b (£1b) ahead of the novel's publication in 1990. Author Crichton was hired to write the screenplay for an additional $500,000 (£355,000), and the resulting film was the highest-grossing film of all time until Cameron's very own Titanic in 1997.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Damn, I didn't realize Jurassic Park was the highest grossing film until Titanic.

An R rated dinosaur movie?

Roger Corman had our backs the same year.

Carnosaur-VHS-700x1224.jpg

Jurassic Park is my favorite movie ever but I would pay to see a James Cameron remake.

Cameron probably wouldn't have hired John Williams to do the score and wouldn't have captured the heart or spirit of adventure that Spielberg did.

Id say...Cameron couldve done it better or as good.

Plus, Cameron may had gotten addicted to that genre vs his goofy Avatar shit.

You really think hollywood would pick a gentile over Spielberg?

It sounds like it would have been a completely different movie so it’s not really fair to compare them.

Cameron probably wouldn't have hired John Williams to do the score and wouldn't have captured the heart or spirit of adventure that Spielberg did.

Yeah I thought about that, too. Williams knocked it out of the park (pun intended) with that score. It's one of his best, and he's got a ton of great scores. And Cameron wouldn't have used Williams. But Cameron used James Horner for Aliens (and Titanic) so I imagine he'd have used him for this. And Horner is great, too. Would've been interesting to see what he came up with.

Cameron's vision hewed closer to the novel, which isn't at all family friendly. The novel's also rather dull so I'm sure he would have punched up the drama a bit, so it would have been like AVATAR with dinosaurs.

Spielberg was right reformatting it to the kid-oriented atmosphere. It also made the dinos an easier sell.

Jurassic Park is an awesome movie. Would love to have seen Camerons version though

Cameron's vision hewed closer to the novel, which isn't at all family friendly. The novel's also rather dull so I'm sure he would have punched up the drama a bit, so it would have been like AVATAR with dinosaurs.

Spielberg was right reformatting it to the kid-oriented atmosphere. It also made the dinos an easier sell.

Been 20 years since I read it but I remember the book being both really good and the film being pretty faithful to it. Couple more people die (Hammond, Malcolm), and the odd scene is cut, but can't really remember the film straying too far from it.

Been 20 years since I read it but I remember the book being both really good and the film being pretty faithful to it. Couple more people die (Hammond, Malcolm), and the odd scene is cut, but can't really remember the film straying too far from it.
So..... dance battle?

PggjDQ7.gif

Camerons would have been closer to the Crichton books so its too bad he didnt get the rights.

A dark version would have been awesome now but I saw that when I was a kid, which sure as shit would not have happened if it was R.

Back