songs with great solos

Fuck yeah!!
I've been listening to Testament again and you really see Alex finding his style and sound (He was really in Jazz at that point) on the Practice What You Preach album. The prior albums were fairly common Neo-Classic style of soloing. He totally got a unique style on that Album; still shredding just a different style (not sure how to word it).

Saw them opening for Aerosmith ages ago. This was prior to them getting a heavier sound. Honesty dont remember much from the concert - just some vague memories (went with a friend who has since passed away). A darkened Room actually reminds me of him as it was his favorite song of that album.
Sorry bro'.Didnt mean to bring up the negative vibes.

I've been listening to Testament again and you really see Alex finding his style and sound (He was really in Jazz at that point) on the Practice What You Preach album. The prior albums were fairly common Neo-Classic style of soloing. He totally got a unique style on that Album; still shredding just a different style (not sure how to word it).
Definitely,good call.Love that neo-classical,speed metal.I saw them at a club called The Channel in Boston years ago,not a great room mix but I could here Alex just fine..he ripped!I saw them again at a 100 person club in Portland,ME with James Murphy playing lead with them @ the time.Killer show but he's no Skolnik!

He was a rare breed too. It's really easy as a metal musician to down tune your guitar and bang drop chords but Dime could play anything really.
No doubt.Easy to get pigeonholed as a one dimensional player playing metal but I've seen these Guitar Player magazine type outtakes with Dime playing this Paganini a la Yngwie type riffs & absolutely ripping it up!

No mention of BB King or Eric Clapton?

Here's a video with some of the greatest guitar players that ever plucked a string.

One of these Oliva's. What happened, diabetes, heart attack?
No pal,he was driving along with his lady friend(gf) in his RX7 & along comes a fucking drunk scmbag from the opposite direction and hit them head on killing Criss instantly.The drunk had 8 previous drunk driving convictions & for killing criss only did 18 months in prison!!

No pal,he was driving along with his lady friend(gf) in his RX7 & along comes a fucking drunk scmbag from the opposite direction and hit them head on killing Criss instantly.The drunk had 8 previous drunk driving convictions & for killing criss only did 18 months in prison!!

Oh I did not know he died. Who is doing the Trans Siberian Orchestra then? That was his thing too.

One more from the master. This is an unaccompanied solo that begins at the start of the song.

Oh I did not know he died. Who is doing the Trans Siberian Orchestra then? That was his thing too.
His brother Jon Oliva I'm pretty sure.They were in savatage together.Im almost certain Criss died in the 90's.Also there was another guitarist named Chris Cafferey who played in Savatage & TSO,maybe it's him your thinking of?Jon Oliva I know was or is in both bands as well.

Last edited:
No mention of BB King or Eric Clapton?

Here's a video with some of the greatest guitar players that ever plucked a string.

Aye I know I'm ashamed + Stevie Ray Vaughan should be added!!

Beautiful solo at the start and then another greater solo at 2:08

Back