songs with great solos

IIIIIIII

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
this thread is about songs with fantastic solos. the solo doesn't need to be minutes-long. it can be if you'd like. post any song that has a solo that captures a certain feeling, and explain why you think the solo is great. i'll start:

the solo in this song starts at about 5:20:

this is probably my favorite solo of all-time. it's like a journey that takes you through all kinds of emotions. great job by ron jarzombek.

the solo for this song starts 4:45:

the sweeping technique within this solo is really top-notch musicianship. the dynamics of the slower and faster playing throughout keeps you on edge.

the solo for this song starts at about 1:03:

even though morbid angel is known for their fast playing within solos, this particular one uses slower riff-playing to suspend moods.

"Cowgirl in the Sand" by Neil Young
has solos that follow each verse
of the song & imo, are near perfect
successions to each verse, in terms
of the emotions he's trying to convey.

Of course, this could all be my own
interpretation of the song. Nonetheless,
they're great solos either way...

It just so happens that someone made a youtube vid of Maiden's best solo section.

nice song from neil young. i haven't listened to his stuff in years. need to revisit it for sure.

maiden is always a good choice. i like how their drums usually mirror the solos.

This be my favorite of all time methinks. Starts at 3:15 (3:30 really, but me like hear lead-in).

Basically sounds like allan Holdsworth + fury.

David Gilmour of Pink Floyd in general had some excellent solos that you could hum along with as if they were melodies. That's the sign of a good solo.

Everyone knows "Time" and "Comfortably Numb," and for that reason I'm going with "High Hopes". Great solo. Gilmour is great with the pedal steel. Timestamped at 5:07.

Love George Harrison's guitar playing. Here's an underrated solo from the live version of "Cheer Down" from his "Live in Japan" album.

This pedal steel solo on another George Harrison song is incredible. George doesn't play it, though, he got someone else to. Crazy that he left this song off "All Things Must Pass"...it's a really good song.

Alright, and now the guitar nerd/obscure music hipster comes out. Allan Holdsworth and Frank Gambale did a collaboration for Mike Varney back in the day called "Truth in Shredding." They play one of Frank's tunes "New Boots" and Holdworth fucking killed it. I think it's his favorite solo of mine EVAH. It's perfect in its Holdsworthianness.

The end of this song is pretty awesome

and of course the GOAT

The 5 minute mark gets real good

didn't read all the thread but I hope this qualifies. One of the best bass solos ever.

Testament - Practice What you Preach

Alex Skolnick is a God - keep in mind he is shredding on a les paul with .13 gauge strings.

Last edited:
Back