PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Hey guys, I could use some help. I haven't been paying attention to computer stuff for a few years now and suddenly find myself in the position where I need to upgrade. I've just started having a issues with my ~8 year old LGA1366 computer and I'm pretty sure that it's the MB going bad (specifically the south bridge: having issues with not wanting to boot the OS, hard drive connections dropping in/out, sound randomly going dead, and it keeps making the clicking sound for when a drive powers on).

So I'm going to need a new CPU (+cooler), MB, memory, and might as well replace my PSU while I'm at it (wouldn't surprise me if I've got 20k+ hours on the current one). I'll be keeping my HDDs, SSDs, DVD drive, case, and 2x HD6950 graphics cards. I'm looking for something mid-range that I can use for some gaming and 3D modeling. After some digging around Tom's Hardware and Newegg I have priced out the following:
-AMD RYZEN 5 1600X 6-Core 3.6 GHz [LINK]
-MSI X370 KRAIT GAMING AM4 AMD X370 [LINK]
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 [LINK]
-Cooler Master Hyper D92 - CPU Air Cooler [LINK]
-CORSAIR CS-M Series CS650M 650W 80 PLUS GOLD [LINK]
TOTAL: $646.45

Does this look like good choices for components? Are there better options for this price range? Did I miss something important and it won't even work? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

It's unorthodox to pick a AMD processor but not bad.
I wonder how they will perform, the AMD 1600X is a recent one right ?

It's unorthodox to pick a AMD processor but not bad.
I wonder how they will perform, the AMD 1600X is a recent one right ?
I looked it up and it come out in March, so pretty recent. It looks to have a similar performance to the i5 7600k.

Hey guys, I could use some help. I haven't been paying attention to computer stuff for a few years now and suddenly find myself in the position where I need to upgrade. I've just started having a issues with my ~8 year old LGA1366 computer and I'm pretty sure that it's the MB going bad (specifically the south bridge: having issues with not wanting to boot the OS, hard drive connections dropping in/out, sound randomly going dead, and it keeps making the clicking sound for when a drive powers on).

So I'm going to need a new CPU (+cooler), MB, memory, and might as well replace my PSU while I'm at it (wouldn't surprise me if I've got 20k+ hours on the current one). I'll be keeping my HDDs, SSDs, DVD drive, case, and 2x HD6950 graphics cards. I'm looking for something mid-range that I can use for some gaming and 3D modeling. After some digging around Tom's Hardware and Newegg I have priced out the following:
-AMD RYZEN 5 1600X 6-Core 3.6 GHz [LINK]
-MSI X370 KRAIT GAMING AM4 AMD X370 [LINK]
-G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 [LINK]
-Cooler Master Hyper D92 - CPU Air Cooler [LINK]
-CORSAIR CS-M Series CS650M 650W 80 PLUS GOLD [LINK]
TOTAL: $646.45

Does this look like good choices for components? Are there better options for this price range? Did I miss something important and it won't even work? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Everything looks great, I would take a look at a different cpu cooler though. There's better options out there for the money.
The Cryorig H7 is in that price range and will perform better than the D92.
www.amazon.com/CRYORIG-Tower-Cooler-Intel-CPUs/dp/B00S7YA5FQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1504294109&sr=1-4&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

Monitor brahs, I need your help. I'm looking for something cheap for a sim rig screen backup.

A local guy is selling a 34" LG Ultra wide 75hz FreeSync model #34UM60-P for $225.
specs are:
PICTURE QUALITY
Screen Size 34"
Panel Type IPS
Color Gamut (CIE1931) sRBG over 99%
Color Depth(Number of Colors) 8bits (6bit+FRC), 16.7M
Pixel Pitch(mm) 0.312 x 0.310
Response Time 5ms
Refresh Rate 75 Hz
Aspect Ratio 21:9
Resolution 2560 x 1080
Brightness(Typ.) 300nits

He also has a 25" LG Ultra Wide 75hz model #25UM58-P for $130
specs are:
PANEL SPECIFICATIONS
Screen Size Class (diagonal) 25"
Panel Type IPS
Color Gamut (CIE1931) sRGB over 99%
Color Depth (Number of Colors) 8bits, 16.7M
Pixel Pitch (mm) 0.2286mm x 0.2286mm
Response Time 5ms GTG
Resolution 2560 x 1080

yea or nay on either?

Last edited:
Monitor brahs, I need your help. I'm looking for something cheap for a sim rig screen backup.

A local guy is selling a 34" LG Ultra wide 75hz FreeSync model #34UM60-P for $225.
specs are:
PICTURE QUALITY
Screen Size 34"
Panel Type IPS
Response Time 5ms
Refresh Rate 75 Hz
Resolution 2560 x 1080
Brightness(Typ.) 300nits

specs are:
PANEL SPECIFICATIONS
Panel Type IPS
Response Time 5ms GTG
Resolution 2560 x 1080

yea or nay on either?
That 34" monitor seems like a fantastic deal (~$80 off Amazon price), but I'm also someone who isn't interested by monitors under 27". This review is of the smaller model, but I'll assume they both perform similarly:
https://www.monitornerds.com/lg-25um58-p-review-cheap-ultra-wide-dual-monitor-alternative/
According to the review, it did not disappoint; it performed to the specifications named.The smaller model is only $27 below the "New" price on Amazon, and only $50 off MSRP. Not exactly screaming.

The poor 3.5* rating for the larger model on Amazon is clearly the result of disappointment from misadvertisement; almost all of the 1-star reviews dragging it down are from buyers disgusted with the lack of a true edge-to-edge display. Has nothing to do with the monitor itself.

That 34" monitor seems like a fantastic deal (~$80 off Amazon price), but I'm also someone who isn't interested by monitors under 27". This review is of the smaller model, but I'll assume they both perform similarly:
https://www.monitornerds.com/lg-25um58-p-review-cheap-ultra-wide-dual-monitor-alternative/
According to the review, it did not disappoint; it performed to the specifications named.The smaller model is only $27 below the "New" price on Amazon, and only $50 off MSRP. Not exactly screaming.

The poor 3.5* rating for the larger model on Amazon is clearly the result of disappointment from misadvertisement; almost all of the 1-star reviews dragging it down are from buyers disgusted with the lack of a true edge-to-edge display. Has nothing to do with the monitor itself.
Thanks for the help, I'm completely lost when it comes to monitors besides resolution and refresh rates. I'm trying to talk him down to $200 on the 34". I've seen the youtube videos to test out monitors, besides that is there anything else I need to look for when buying used?
His reason for getting rid of it is the same as those poor reviews, he didn't like the bezel.

edit: Best Buy has the 29" version on sale for $230 atm. I'm leaning towards that direction
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-29-...wide-freesync-monitor/5770301.p?skuId=5770301

Last edited:

specs are:
PICTURE QUALITY
Screen Size 34"
Panel Type IPS
Response Time 5ms
Refresh Rate 75 Hz
Resolution 2560 x 1080
Brightness(Typ.) 300nits

specs are:
PANEL SPECIFICATIONS
Panel Type IPS
Response Time 5ms GTG
Resolution 2560 x 1080

yea or nay on either?

ehh i dont really dig the 1080p for sims. i guess im anal since i moved on from 1080p (what kind of sims)

I just picked up an i5-2500k for $45. Now to find a video card.

@GhostZ06 My main screen for the sim racing setup will be a Rift. I just want something to put on the rig in front of me to use to navigate the OS and the occasional non headset gaming.

All these led's on the motherboard and videocard : Asus strix.
Do you guys care about that stuff ?
I read they stay on when the PC is off, or you have to switch off in the bios

All these led's on the motherboard and videocard : Asus strix.
Do you guys care about that stuff ?
I read they stay on when the PC is off, or you have to switch off in the bios

I hate rgb with a passion but it has its uses.
I have a gigabyte board and gpu. I have the lights set to off until the CPU gets to 60 degrees, then the lights come on and turns green, yellow at 70, red at 80.
I dint remember who makes them, but there's a really neat fan that makes a pinwheel of colors. Thermaltake Ring maybe?

Any sherbros have advice on free software with no spyware that monitors cpu, gpu temperature etc?

Or is there something already in windows 10 that has that?

Any sherbros have advice on free software with no spyware that monitors cpu, gpu temperature etc?

Or is there something already in windows 10 that has that?
Are you wanting something that warns you when temperatures get to high or just something to look at every once in awhile?
NZXT's Cam will monitor your cpu/gpu temps. You can also set it display them in your games.
https://camwebapp.com/

Are you wanting something that warns you when temperatures get to high or just something to look at every once in awhile?
NZXT's Cam will monitor your cpu/gpu temps. You can also set it display them in your games.
https://camwebapp.com/

Thanks. Both really. I like to think I don't have temperature issues, but I like to see. I have a dual monitor set up (use x34 for games but have a secondary monitor that usually has youtube going). Guess I could put that app on the second monitor while gaming to make sure things are hunky-dory.

Thanks again.

Thanks. Both really. I like to think I don't have temperature issues, but I like to see. I have a dual monitor set up (use x34 for games but have a secondary monitor that usually has youtube going). Guess I could put that app on the second monitor while gaming to make sure things are hunky-dory.

Thanks again.
No problem, I'm glad I could help. If you want to monitor other stuff like vCore voltage and such, there's other programs like CPU-Z.
The software that came with your motherboard should have a program to warn you when the temps get to high. Some bios have settings to where it will shut your whole system down if it hits a certain temp.

I added some cable extensions to my system. They didn't include any combs for the video card, or any 8 slot combs. I got away with two 6's on the mobo 8 pin but it didn't turn out well for the video card. I still have some tidying up to do and try to figure out a way to sleeve or color the pig tail of the rgb header.
I'm not happy with the rgb header placement either, but I can't figure out any other way. There's no room between the case and power supply to run it. I may end up drilling a hole so I can run the header under the PSU.
UMGw90W.jpg

Back