Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/pc-sales-dropped-16-year-over-year-june-overwatch-2016-f2p-p2p/
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/lol-w...ayerunknowns-battlegrounds-still-doing-great/
adsdasdas.jpg

SuperData-Top-10-Digital-Games-May-2017.png

I didn't realize what a juggernaut Overwatch has become on the PC. It's already out-earning CS:GO. I figured its console presence would be larger, but no. I think that probably has to do with its eSports presence:
Overwatch has surpassed 30 million registered players

I suppose it's even more crazy to see to that Crossfire, Fantasy Westward Journey Online II, and Dungeon Fighter Online are all more lucrative than World of Warcraft and DOTA 2. That's sort of mindblowing. One can never overlook or underestimate those Asian markets.

Do you need a second monitor? Those are great for monitoring Twitch uploads if you do that; you can see an image of the stream. Alternative uses might be keeping open programs monitoring hardware health, or game performance. Some keep chat boxes opens. If you don't do any of that stuff, then investing in a 1440p or 1080p/1440p Ultrawide monitor, preferably G-sync, might be worth looking into. The GTX 1070 has the power to go beyond 1080p, but doesn't have quite enough to make it to 4K.

Besides, if you choose this more expensive alternative option emphasizing a different strategy of focus for your personal satisfaction, then you'll still have two screens.
I'm cool with 1080p and it would mostly be for the convenience of having a second monitor, but I have tossed around the idea of streaming as well.

what kind of monitor are you using? Not dumb 1080p
Yep, 1080p pleb haha. I'm half blind anyway so I legit can't see a difference as monitors incrementally increase their pixel count/refresh rate/aspect ratio.

I'm currently waiting to hear back about this computer. I bought Pubg today and it won't run on my laptop so I said fuck it.

igabyteMotherboard
Model
GA-970A-UD3

AMD FX(tm) 6100 triple core processor @ 3.30 GHz
3 physical cores
6 logical cores

While the CPU is a triple core, the CPU is hyperthreaded to emulate 6 cores!

Asus Nvidia GTX760 2 GB DDR5 GPU
base clock 1006mhz
boost clock 1072mhz
CUDA cores 1152

2 DVI outputs
1 HDMI output
1 Displayport output

CoolerMaster Elite computer case

Super Multi CD DVD Burner
Tenda USB dongle for WIFI capabilities....just plug into any USB port

750 GB Seagate Hard Drive 7200 RPM

4 GB RAM 1600 Ghz DDR3 RAM
750 Watt Logisys power supply

2 120mm LED intake fans
3 120mm LED exhaust fans

Wired keyboard and Wireless mouse

Comes with an HP 23 monitor with HDMI, VGA, and DVI inputs.
For $280. Good deal?

I'm currently waiting to hear back about this computer. I bought Pubg today and it won't run on my laptop so I said fuck it.

igabyteMotherboard
Model
GA-970A-UD3

3 physical cores
6 logical cores

base clock 1006mhz
boost clock 1072mhz
CUDA cores 1152

2 DVI outputs
1 HDMI output
1 Displayport output

2 120mm LED intake fans
3 120mm LED exhaust fans

For $280. Good deal?
For $280 I'd say you scored one hell of a deal.

igabyteMotherboard
Model
GA-970A-UD3

3 physical cores
6 logical cores

base clock 1006mhz
boost clock 1072mhz
CUDA cores 1152

2 DVI outputs
1 HDMI output
1 Displayport output

2 120mm LED intake fans
3 120mm LED exhaust fans

For $280. Good deal?
I would change your power supply out. I wouldn't trust that Logysis. Their stuff is horrible.

igabyteMotherboard
Model
GA-970A-UD3

3 physical cores
6 logical cores

base clock 1006mhz
boost clock 1072mhz
CUDA cores 1152

2 DVI outputs
1 HDMI output
1 Displayport output

2 120mm LED intake fans
3 120mm LED exhaust fans

For $280. Good deal?

lol that processor? lol yeah 280 and 270

that processor? lol yeah 280 and 270

You're going to have to break that down for me like you're talking to a child. This is my first PC, I'm pretty stoked and wanting to get into the PC gaming scene.

What do you mean about the processor?

I'm butthurt I have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up tomorrow. I just got PUBG today and picked up Skyrim as I've never played it modded.

You're going to have to break that down for me like you're talking to a child. This is my first PC, I'm pretty stoked and wanting to get into the PC gaming scene.

What do you mean about the processor?

I'm butthurt I have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up tomorrow. I just got PUBG today and picked up Skyrim as I've never played it modded.

when the time comes, let me know. ill sqaud with you

lol that processor? lol yeah 280 and 270
He should be good for 30-40fps on most newer titles at medium @1080p.

@AgonyandIrony When you get some spare change, you should add another stick of the 4 GB RAM 1600 Ghz DDR3 RAM to your system. Some games will use more than 4gb of ram and when you run out, your game game performance will suffer.
Good thing is that it's really cheap. You can pick up a used stick of ram for $20 on ebay. Or you could get this new from Amazon for $30
www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFFZXLU/?tag=pcpapi-20

Last edited:
He should be good for 30-40fps on most newer titles at medium @1080p.

@AgonyandIrony When you get some spare change, you should add another stick of the 4 GB RAM 1600 Ghz DDR3 RAM to your system. Some games will use more than 4gb of ram and when you run out, your game game performance will suffer.
Good thing is that it's really cheap. You can pick up a used stick of ram for $20 on ebay. Or you could get this new from Amazon for $30
www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFFZXLU/?tag=pcpapi-20

Thanks buddy, I've got it bookmarked. I have three slots open so I'll eventually just keep buying more sticks.

I was going to order a better keyboard and mouse, as I'm using my shitty bluetooth one for my laptop. Does a quality mouse help accuracy?

I'm now doubting about a Geforce GTX 1070 or 1080.
Is it really worth the extra cash ?

Thanks buddy, I've got it bookmarked. I have three slots open so I'll eventually just keep buying more sticks.

I was going to order a better keyboard and mouse, as I'm using my shitty bluetooth one for my laptop. Does a quality mouse help accuracy?
No problem. 8gb of RAM should be more than enough for gaming. I wouldn't go above that unless you like to have 10+ Google Chrome browser tabs open. Chrome really likes to use RAM.
Higher end mouses help to a certain extent, the fit to your hand is just as important imo.
There's lots of choices for mouses. Some want 10 buttons on there mouse, some only want 3 buttons. Some want a narrow mouse, some want a hockey puck style mouse. Your best bet is to go to a Best Buy, micro center, etc and to hold a couple. Avoid Razer products, they're sub par.

@Joe_Armstrong 1080p go 1070. 1440p go 1080.

Any recommendations for a new video card for a I-7 4770, 16 gb ram, 500w PSU system. I have a 3 year old 1 gb card, but would like to upgrade without having to drop in a new PSU. I don't need anything crazy, just be able to enjoy most games, stable, at least at 1080p or even possibly 4k. Is this even possible for a couple hundred or should I just start thinking of getting a new system?

Any recommendations for a new video card for a I-7 4770, 16 gb ram, 500w PSU system. I have a 3 year old 1 gb card, but would like to upgrade without having to drop in a new PSU. I don't need anything crazy, just be able to enjoy most games, stable, at least at 1080p or even possibly 4k. Is this even possible for a couple hundred or should I just start thinking of getting a new system?

Isn't a GTX 1060 good enough ?

What do you think about the dif between a 1070 and 1080 ?
I'm still in doubt

An i7-4770 is getting older but should be good for another couple years. You'd be much better off upgrading your video card than your cpu.
Gtx1060 6gb would give you 1080p 60fps medium to high. A gtx 1070 would give your 1080p 60fps at high to ultra settings. A gtx 1080 will give you 1440p 60fps high settings. 4K 30fps you need to step up to a 1080.

When I buy a new i7 processor I won't go with the K version.
I have no interest or knowledge about overclocking.

An i7-4770 is getting older but should be good for another couple years. You'd be much better off upgrading your video card than your cpu.
Gtx1060 6gb would give you 1080p 60fps medium to high. A gtx 1070 would give your 1080p 60fps at high to ultra settings. A gtx 1080 will give you 1440p 60fps high settings. 4K 30fps you need to step up to a 1080.
Will those cards work without having to upgrade my power supply and cooling? I don't want to mess with any of that, otherwise I might as well just build a new pc, which I'd rather not do at this point

Will those cards work without having to upgrade my power supply and cooling? I don't want to mess with any of that, otherwise I might as well just build a new pc, which I'd rather not do at this point
Heres a website to plug in your info and it will give you a recommendation for a power supply.
http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
A power supply upgrade doesn't require a huge pc over haul. You can pick up good ones for $50-$75.

It's totally possible. In fact, PC gaming hardware is at a point where you if you spend sufficiently on top hardware for a CPU/MoBo/RAM when it comes out, then almost all gamers won't genuinely need to upgrade that foundation for 5-6 years. The GPU is what ages overnight, and where you can expect to spend your money. In addition to the GPU you purchase with that foundation, in that same time span that is the duration of the foundation's life you can reasonably expect to upgrade your GPU 1x-2x.

Upgrade Path 1
  • Year 0: CPU/Motherboard/RAM + GPU (& rest of system)
  • Year 3: Upgrade GPU
  • Year 6: Buy New System
Upgrade Path 2
  • Year 0: CPU/Motherboard/RAM + GPU (& rest of system)
  • Year 2: Upgrade GPU
  • Year 4: Upgrade GPU
  • Year 6: Buy New System
Alternatively, if in the process of actual life you find yourself not meeting demands for a specific game you love to play according to the schedule, and you find yourself needing to upgrade the GPU really late in the foundation's life in order to run that game, there's nothing preventing you from paying it forward to the next foundation in order to hold you over until you need to upgrade the GPU again. Simply, the point of all this is to illuminate that PC gamers should perceive the CPU/Mobo/RAM as one half of their processing unit, and the GPU as the other half, with the latter half aging far more rapidly.

For gamers who legitimately just want to game with the best bang for their buck, and with the fewest hiccups possible, that has meant running:
  1. The top Intel i5 processor (currently i5-7600K)
  2. NVIDIA GTX 1060 (either 3GB or 6GB VRAM version)
According to Steam's own stats that is the #1 most popular gamer GPU in their own users' systems. Before the cryptocurrency bullshit, nearly a full six months ago, you could score the GTX 1060 6GB starting around the $215-$235 range. Normally it would be even less valuable at this point, with Vega's release probably driving it into the sub-$200 range, but due to the crypto-effect its starting range has swollen to nearly $280-$300.

But really that's the way to go. Just upgrade your GPU to that midlevel card every few years until your CPU can't keep up anymore, and you'll always be able to max just about everything on the current standard. That card for either manufacturer is about the same or less than the price of the baseline bundled consoles (~$260 right now).

Back