PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

So I have a R9 380 and it was not cutting it for more than 1080p during the Destiny 2 beta.

I found this great article with a huge comparison that I'll share:

4K.png

I have a UHD freesync monitor, and I want to use its potential. But the R9 380 doesn't even come close to having the juice.

Of course I'd get a 1080ti and gsync monitor if I wanted to spend the money but I don't want to shell out that much. 1080 would be nice but it's 100 more than the vega and no freesync.

So I was thinking of getting the RX Vega 56 since it held its own in the comparison, and the MSRP is only $399. Now the problem is finding one at MSRP (nearly impossible).

Anyone with a Vega 56 have any comments? Anyone use one on the D2 beta? I would probably try 4k res and dial back the render percentage to get more framerate.

Any tips on how to find a deal on one?

Thanks for the help, I'm completely lost when it comes to monitors besides resolution and refresh rates. I'm trying to talk him down to $200 on the 34". I've seen the youtube videos to test out monitors, besides that is there anything else I need to look for when buying used?
His reason for getting rid of it is the same as those poor reviews, he didn't like the bezel.

edit: Best Buy has the 29" version on sale for $230 atm. I'm leaning towards that direction
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-29-...wide-freesync-monitor/5770301.p?skuId=5770301
Sorry I didn't get back immediately as I normally manage to do. Perhaps that is for the better. The 29" Best Buy link you supplied above is showing me a sale price of $200 for that 29" LG display, currently, and a $180 Open Box listing.

I think that is a screaming deal. I must confess I am also on weaker footing with monitors/displays as I always leaned on my older brother's expertise when I was younger. I'm not really sure about caveats for second hand purchases other than to look for burnout on the display, and make sure each individual port is working. Other than that I'd advise to be aware of the thickness/weight (ex. once my sister-in-law listed an old cathode TV, not a flat screen, clearly pictured from the side on a Facebook image, and the lady who showed up was surprised it wasn't a flat screen...smh).

I really feel like you'll fall in love with the screen area on the 34" for a desktop environment. It offers ~37% more area than the 29" Ultrawide, or ~34% more area than your typical 16:9 aspect ratio 27" monitor. Chiefly, it expands your field of view by roughly the same amount as the area increase (a third). That additional periphery would certainly be considered an advantage by some in games like shooters. The video cards are generating the 3D world virtually, after all. The monitors are merely our windows into it. What varies is the size, sharpness and scope of these windows.

29" Ultrawide vs. 34" Ultrawide
upload_2017-9-7_23-43-1.png

27" Widescreen vs. 34" Ultrawide
27-inch-16x9-vs-34-inch-21x9.png

http://www.displaywars.com/29-inch-21x9-vs-34-inch-21x9
JCKmDQ.png

Last edited:
I'm going with this motherboard, maybe overdoing it, but it is cool.
It has some sort of cache for fast starting of games and programs.
I'll need a PCI card of 4x USB 3.0 though. It has only 4 usb in the back

https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-STRIX-Z270E-GAMING/

xkzplk.jpg

Thoughts ?

If you care about aesthetics I would go with a dongle/hub instead of adding a card. Most of the reasonably priced USB cards look terrible.
I'm in the same boat, I'm using all the USB ports on my mobo and I need more. I haven't done any really deep research into cards yet but from what I've seen, these 2 are both highly recommended

Inateck KTU3FR-4P $25 murican
www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM

Startech PEXUSB3S44V $81
www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJZEA2S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1CRPZNZDYFYKB&coliid=I2N9RQ39UY4CSS&psc=1

Are you wanting something that warns you when temperatures get to high or just something to look at every once in awhile?
NZXT's Cam will monitor your cpu/gpu temps. You can also set it display them in your games.
https://camwebapp.com/

I did a quick download of Cam to see how it compares to other similar programs and I gotta say I love it. Thanks man.

I did a quick download of Cam to see how it compares to other similar programs and I gotta say I love it. Thanks man.

Wanted to reply when you originally inquired. Couldnt remember the program name. Today it came to me: https://www.cpuid.com/

CPU-Z is for learning basic hardware types and frequency. HwMonitor-Pro is the same as CPU-Z with being able to see temperatures through the dialog box or in the top left of the screen when minimized. Perfmonitor-2 is for identifying hardware cycles usage.

Hit up their social media and tell them what you think. The more feedback we give manufacturers, the better the products will be.
Corsair is awesome for offering products that gamers request. We'll see if that still holds true after they got sold.

Wanted to reply when you originally inquired. Couldnt remember the program name. Today it came to me: https://www.cpuid.com/

CPU-Z is for learning basic hardware types and frequency. HwMonitor-Pro is the same as CPU-Z with being able to see temperatures through the dialog box or in the top left of the screen when minimized. Perfmonitor-2 is for identifying hardware cycles usage.

hmmm, you must be thinking of someone else. I didn't inquire about it, I just saw jefferz post and tried it out.

I just picked up an i5-2500k for $45. Now to find a video card.

@GhostZ06 My main screen for the sim racing setup will be a Rift. I just want something to put on the rig in front of me to use to navigate the OS and the occasional non headset gaming.
Project Cars?

What's your wheel rig look like?

Project Cars?

What's your wheel rig look like?

Nothing at the moment, I'm using an xbone controller ATM. I'm still trying to decide on a budget.
I'm leaning towards a Logitech G920 wheel but I haven't had time to sit down and do my research. I'm not sure about a cockpit either.

Nothing at the moment, I'm using an xbone controller ATM. I'm still trying to decide on a budget.
I'm leaning towards a Logitech G920 wheel but I haven't had time to sit down and do my research. I'm not sure about a cockpit either.
I recently bought the Fanatec Clubsport wheel base+Pedals+BMW wheel+F1 wheel
Wish I had saved $1000+ and just bought a Thrustmaster or Logitech, but the quality of Fanatec is absolutely insane. I'd probably go through 5 of the aforementioned before the Fanatec shows signs of wear.

btw I highly recommend this foldable wheel stand:

It's a solid piece and you can buy their seat mount separately if you want(I think it's $50).

So AMD pissed me off for the last time. I've had AMD cards for the last 10 years or so and I really, really wanted to upgrade my R9 380 to a Vega 56 at the price that AMD hyped up into infinity, $399. Despite the terrible power draws and spotty performance compared to even a 1070 in some games.

But they just couldn't follow through.

<{vega}>

All I wanted what what they were advertising.

I may have a freesync monitor, but fuck it. I just bought a GTX 1080 for $150 less than what retailers are charging on the vega 56, when it is even in stock for 15 minutes. I'll be getting a 1440p 144hz gsync screen in the next year to match.

Welcome to wonderful world of AMD marketing.

Funny, I also went with an Intel cpu last year as well, after having all AMD chips ever since my 486.

i5 6600k is an amazing cpu.

OG2hHwW.jpg

You gotta do what you gotta do. Cryptomining is a scourge to our kind.

You gotta do what you gotta do. Cryptomining is a scourge to our kind.
prices are supposed to be going up on nVidia cards very soon. it's a shitty time to build a pc.

I recently bought the Fanatec Clubsport wheel base+Pedals+BMW wheel+F1 wheel

Wish I had saved $1000+ and just bought a Thrustmaster or Logitech, but the quality of Fanatec is absolutely insane. I'd probably go through 5 of the aforementioned before the Fanatec shows signs of wear.

btw I highly recommend this foldable wheel stand:

It's a solid piece and you can buy their seat mount separately if you want(I think it's $50).

Thanks for the input, it's very much appreciated.
I'm leaning towards a permanent style cockpit. I've been reading up on DIY 80/20 extruded aluminum cockpits
20160227_115009.jpg

62aec3657bccbdc1f2225446e96c4ca9.jpg

Back