Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Thanks for the input, it's very much appreciated.
I'm leaning towards a permanent style cockpit. I've been reading up on DIY 80/20 extruded aluminum cockpits
20160227_115009.jpg

62aec3657bccbdc1f2225446e96c4ca9.jpg
Those are definitely nice. Bit bulky for me although I'll cave for something permanent when motion control setups can be had for under $5k(which seems relatively soon).

Kasperksy(and any anti-virus) software has never been safe for any one to use as far as I'm concerned. They're literally the arms industry of computers.

Be your own anti-virus by being proactive in the sites you visit and files/programs you download. Storing pics/videos in the cloud and routinely reformatting your HDD is second to none imo.

Those are definitely nice. Bit bulky for me although I'll cave for something permanent when motion control setups can be had for under $5k(which seems relatively soon).
The infinite adjustment is what has me interested in it the most. I checked with a local supplier and it would cost about $170 to build what I want. I'd still need to get a seat, but craiglist or a junkyard can solve that.

The infinite adjustment is what has me interested in it the most. I checked with a local supplier and it would cost about $170 to build what I want. I'd still need to get a seat, but craiglist or a junkyard can solve that.
I bet something like this
could be mounted fairly easily. Underneath the seat is completely flat with screw holes to possibly mount some sliders. $100 on amazon

edit-why the hell do Amazon links keep embedding with that stupid orange image?
www.amazon.com/Homall-Executive-Leather-High-back-Headrest/dp/B01MRZ02TL/ref=zg_bs_668180011_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z4JWXM4W1QNM50AZE2WS

Last edited:
I got an r9 380x 4gb halfway through 2015, after having a gtx 660 3gb.

The overall performance of the AMD card is better, as it should be, but I've had so many driver problems, and played so many games that were optimized towards nvidia. next card I'm going back to nvidia fo sho.

I bet something like this could be mounted fairly easily. Underneath the seat is completely flat with screw holes to possibly mount some sliders.

edit-why the hell do Amazon links keep embedding with that stupid orange image?

For the price of a DX Racer, I can pick up a used C6 Corvette seat locally.

Gotta delete the http:// off of it. I'm guessing sherdog is trying to get an Amazon Affiliates thing to work, but it's not working right.

prices are supposed to be going up on nVidia cards very soon. it's a shitty time to build a pc.
It certainly is, and it certainly has been.

Unfortunately, the AIO market is where it's at. The Cryptominers have been buying up those CyberPowerPCs I always talk about just to gut them for the video card. They sell back the other parts on eBay.

For the price of a DX Racer, I can pick up a used C6 Corvette seat locally.

Gotta delete the http:// off of it. I'm guessing sherdog is trying to get an Amazon Affiliates thing to work, but it's not working right.
Full alcantara Recaro or nothing imo <Moves>
2009-nissan-gt-r-recaro-alcantara-spec-rs-g-seat-20

An MMA forum seems like a weird place for a partnership with amazon

It certainly is, and it certainly has been.

Unfortunately, the AIO market is where it's at. The Cryptominers have been buying up those CyberPowerPCs I always talk about just to gut them for the video card. They sell back the other parts on eBay.

The AIO market isn't all that bad if you do your research on what parts are used. You're still better off building in the $500 range but once you get up to $700 you're starting to see things even out or AIO's even nudging out a victory.

Full alcantara Recaro or nothing imo <Moves>
2009-nissan-gt-r-recaro-alcantara-spec-rs-g-seat-20

An MMA forum seems like a weird place for a partnership with amazon

I want something with a little cushion. Whenever I ride in a car that has "racing" bucket style seats like that my hips or back start hurting after an hour. I rode in a Hennessey Viper with Corbeau's and they were the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat in.

Yeah I'm a former AMD/ATI user too. I feel like it has been a good 7 years or so since they last delivered a real win for gamers.

I want something with a little cushion. Whenever I ride in a car that has "racing" bucket style seats like that my hips or back start hurting after an hour. I rode in a Hennessey Viper with Corbeau's and they were the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat in.
It's unbelievable how some of the most expensive cars are so uncomfortable. Obviously at 6'5" most of these cars aren't designed for me, I couldn't stand the BMW M5, and I don't recall ever being comfortable in a Jaguar.

I just look to what the NBA players buy. Now that's comfort.

It's unbelievable how some of the most expensive cars are so uncomfortable. Obviously at 6'5" most of these guys aren't designed for me, I couldn't stand the BMW M5, and I don't recall ever being comfortable in a Jaguar.

I just look to what the NBA players buy. Now that's comfort.

The best car seat of all time imo the bucket seats in the 2004ish Tahoe's, Suburbans, and pickups. They feel like you're sitting in a recliner.
I have a buddy that's 6'8" and works at a tire shop. He says the best fitting cars for him are Hyundai's and that's including exotics.

but back on topic, I think I'm going to wait until Black Friday to see if I can get a deal on a wheel.

The best car seat of all time imo the bucket seats in the 2004ish Tahoe's, Suburbans, and pickups. They feel like you're sitting in a recliner.
I have a buddy that's 6'8" and works at a tire shop. He says the best fitting cars for him are Hyundai's and that's including exotics.

but back on topic, I think I'm going to wait until Black Friday to see if I can get a deal on a wheel.
The Suburbans and the Tahoes are fantastic.

The AIO market isn't all that bad if you do your research on what parts are used. You're still better off building in the $500 range but once you get up to $700 you're starting to see things even out or AIO's even nudging out a victory.
Not only is it not bad: sometimes it's outright superior. I have pointed to build after build in the past, with specific examples, demonstrating the AIO Gamer Market trouncing the Self-Builder market in cost for the same components. Your options are simply more limited. The gap has never been as wide as it became the past few months with the crypto-inflation while this #1 bestseller CPPC unit somehow stays in stock:
CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme GXIVR8020A4 Desktop Gaming PC (Intel i5-7400 3.0GHz, AMD RX 580 4GB, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, WiFi, Win 10 Home), Black - VR Ready

• MSI Bazooka B250 ATX Motherboard
  • i5-7400
  • RX 580 4GB
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM
  • 1TB 7200RPM HDD
  • 802.11ac WiFi
  • DVD-RW
  • 600W (generic) PSU
  • Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 (w/Window, Red Trim, & 4(?)x120mm Red LED Case Fans included)
  • Windows 10
  • CPPC Gaming Keyboard + Gaming Mouse included
  • $720
http://www.pcbuildadvisor.com/cyber...aming-pc-review-new-look-same-great-hardware/

All of that is gonna run you at least $900 on the self-builder market right now:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zjnhf8
Already at $878 at my location (counting shipping which is free from Amazon) with no keyboard or mouse added, and no LED case fans, either. It's a massacre.

It was funny watching this grasshopper discover this for himself. The title of the video is, "How Not to Buy a PC", but the video's conclusion is that the computer his friend picked up at Best Buy beat what he could put together himself:

Last edited:
So I'm finally upgrading my overclocked 4770k and have decided on either Threadripper 1950x or i9 7900x - this computer will be minimally used for gaming (it will be paired with a gtx 1070 that I already have), but the primary function will be on data analysis and simulation modeling.

Threadripper has more cores and better platform (ECC Ram Support, 64 PCIE lanes), but significantly lower IPC and virtually no overclocking headroom.

Both are approximately $1300 Canadian -- which would normally be WAY outside of my budget, but I have a $2000 spending account from my job for equipment purchases.

Any thoughts?

So I'm finally upgrading my overclocked 4770k and have decided on either Threadripper 1950x or i9 7900x - this computer will be minimally used for gaming (it will be paired with a gtx 1070 that I already have), but the primary function will be on data analysis and simulation modeling.

Threadripper has more cores and better platform (ECC Ram Support, 64 PCIE lanes), but significantly lower IPC and virtually no overclocking headroom.

Both are approximately $1300 Canadian -- which would normally be WAY outside of my budget, but I have a $2000 spending account from my job for equipment purchases.

Any thoughts?
Threadripper or bust.

Any thoughts?
Rip those threads. Threadripper for sure.

It's unbelievable how some of the most expensive cars are so uncomfortable.

Sports cars arent designed for luxury. Their seats are designed to keep the occupants body from shifting.

The best car seat of all time imo the bucket seats in the 2004ish Tahoe's

I sim raced from 2002-2007. Would advise against a cockpit and or racing seat setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back