Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-256bit-Graphics-04G-P4-2978-KR/dp/B00OSS0AG4

I am thinking about buying this as a xmas gift to myself. Really like the 970 and would be a good future proof card to replace my current 760

QXKemHo.jpg

Also a pic of my current setup, a little cramped because of the massive desk I have but that is going to change soon. Gonna get rid of the desk and just get myself most likely a one piece desk

Newegg has the Gigabyte 970 4GB Card for $369.99 and you get a game for free. You can choose between Assassin's Creed: Unity, Far Cry 4 and The Crew.

Like i said in my post above, the 970 is probably the best bang for the buck right now and you definitely can't go wrong with it.

I like your setup by the way, and bonus points for the Tool wallpaper. I'm hoping they release the new album pretty soon because i'm getting impatient lol.

Newegg has the Gigabyte 970 4GB Card for $369.99 and you get a game for free. You can choose between Assassin's Creed: Unity, Far Cry 4 and The Crew.

Like i said in my post above, the 970 is probably the best bang for the buck right now and you definitely can't go wrong with it.

I like your setup by the way, and bonus points for the Tool wallpaper. I'm hoping they release the new album pretty soon because i'm getting impatient lol.
Thanks and sadly the album won't be out any time soon. The band is fighting a lawsuit over issues relating to artwork done for them some years back by someone else. Its been said the lawsuit is holding them up

Thanks and sadly the album won't be out any time soon. The band is fighting a lawsuit over issues relating to artwork done for them some years back by someone else. Its been said the lawsuit is holding them up

Yeah, i read about the lawsuit a few months ago. From what i read it was an extremely ridiculous lawsuit, but regardless they have to deal with it.

I remember in 2013 there were rumors it would be released that year, then everyone said the same thing this year and now it looks like even 2015 might not happen lol. I'm sure it will be great, so i don't mind waiting.

Some people talk shit about 10,000 Days, but personally i thought it was a very good album.

Yeah, i read about the lawsuit a few months ago. From what i read it was an extremely ridiculous lawsuit, but regardless they have to deal with it.

I remember in 2013 there were rumors it would be released that year, then everyone said the same thing this year and now it looks like even 2015 might not happen lol. I'm sure it will be great, so i don't mind waiting.

Some people talk shit about 10,000 Days, but personally i thought it was a very good album.
Rosetta Stoned is one of the best songs the band has ever produced. 10,000 Days is pretty damn good save for the production which I felt has given into the loudness factor that so many albums nowadays suffer from. Still its one hell of an album and if produced by any other band, it would be considered a masterpiece but since its a Tool album it isn't as good as Lateralus and Aenima

So I ended up ordering the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2978-KR model for $379.99 plus tax on tigerdirect.

Last edited:
Rosetta Stoned is one of the best songs the band has ever produced. 10,000 Days is pretty damn good save for the production which I felt has given into the loudness factor that so many albums nowadays suffer from. Still its one hell of an album and if produced by any other band, it would be considered a masterpiece but since its a Tool album it isn't as good as Lateralus and Aenima

So I ended up ordering the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2978-KR model for $379.99 plus tax on tigerdirect.

Also a Tool fan, but I just wanted to say that the 970 is nice, especially how cool it runs. I have the Gigabyte version myself. I've heard that both models are susceptible to coil whine if you get unlucky, but I think you'll be happy.

So this was pretty much my final build. SSD I can't remember off the top of my head, so I just picked a cheap 240GB one which is what I have.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mah603/saved/KVWypg

Thanks for people suggesting stuff to me. Tried out Dragon Age Inquisition and runs pretty perfectly on default High settings. Gonna try out some ultra settings later

So my friend built two different PC's...I can afford one.

PC #1:

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77

Processor: i5 3570K (With Hyper Evo 212 for overclocking)

Graphics Card: R9 290X 4GB

Power Supply: Cooler Master V850 850W Gold Rated power supply

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

RAM Memory: 8 GB G. Skill Performance Ram

Hard Drive: 2000GB or 2 TB hard drive

Priced at 900$

PC #2:

Processor: i5 4670k (With CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Cpu cooler)

Case: Corsair 750D Black

SSD: PNY XLR Pro SSD 2.5" 120GB SATA 6Gb/s

Mobo: MSI Z87 MPOWER Motherboard

Memory: 8GB RAM 1600

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified

Gpu: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5

HDD: (Not offering one..Need to buy)

Priced at : 800$

Can't decide...Help me.

Do you plan on keeping the PC as is, or doing some upgrading? I like the idea of an SSD, but I have a 256GB and I even think that is too small. In this case, it's a 120GB SSD that has no partner HDD. If it's running windows 7, like 40-50GB of that is already gonna be taken up by your OS. And a lot of games these days (e.g. Farcry 4 and shadows of mordor) are a whopping 30GB themselves.

As is, I like the 1st one more. If you got another 120GB SSD and did a RAID0, the 2nd one could be pretty beastly.

Last edited:
I think I like the first one better. Better GPU, better PSU you could hold onto if you want to add a second gpu someday. I also like coolermaster's towers, though that is just a personal preference.

Second PC is good too. CPU is a little better, though not a huge difference. Also has a nice CPU cooler.

I'd choose the nvidia build because of drivers. Went for a GTX 670 after owning two ATI cards- not looking back.

And the 650W is fine for SLI, you'd be pulling ~500w with two (nvidia) cards IIRC.

Awww yisss, got a GTX 970 today. Had been using a 560ti for the last 3 years lol. Thing was finally ready to die, it needed to be replaced.

20141210_170144_zpsdc88fff8.jpg

Just buttoning up the new build. I have some other red cables coming, the blues are a temp solution and I need cable combs and stuff. I'll also be removing the blu ray drive and the white cables once everything is installed.

Feels WAY faster than my old rig.

I'd choose the nvidia build because of drivers. Went for a GTX 670 after owning two ATI cards- not looking back.

And the 650W is fine for SLI, you'd be pulling ~500w with two (nvidia) cards IIRC.

You should definitely get at least a good quality 750w PSU to run a pair of 770's, that is the setup I run and I bought an 850w to be on the safe side.

I've had cards from both companies, and you are right nvidia usually does do a better job with the drivers. But still, there is to much of a raw power gap between a gtx 770 and an AMD 290x to recommend the 770.

Just curious, what kind of problems did you have with the ATI/AMD cards and what models were they?

I'm not really loyal to any company when it comes to CPU's and GPU's. I mainly look for the best bang for my buck, so basically who has the better deals.

At the time i built the two gaming rigs i currently have, AMD definitely had the better deals and the 7950 w/ Boost seemed like the best option, so that is what i put in both of them.

Both of them have ran great since i started using them, which was about 3 years ago for the slightly older build and about 2 years for the slightly newer build.

The market has already changed a lot since then, and i notice NVidia now seems to have the best deals overall. If i was building another PC right now, the 970 would be my pick for sure.

You should definitely get at least a good quality 750w PSU to run a pair of 770's, that is the setup I run and I bought an 850w to be on the safe side.

I've had cards from both companies, and you are right nvidia usually does do a better job with the drivers. But still, there is to much of a raw power gap between a gtx 770 and an AMD 290x to recommend the 770.

I remember other people explaining this many times on here in the past, but the wattage of a PSU is not a good way to determine what it will be able to handle. The amperage on the 12V Rail being the most important.

This is why it's important to not cheap out when it comes to the power supply, not that i recommend cheaping out on any PC parts. During sales, you can get a high quality PSU for pretty cheap.

I remember other people explaining this many times on here in the past, but the wattage of a PSU is not a good way to determine what it will be able to handle. The amperage on the 12V Rail being the most important.

This is why it's important to not cheap out when it comes to the power supply, not that i recommend cheaping out on any PC parts. During sales, you can get a high quality PSU for pretty cheap.

Yeah, I was probably one of those people :p But I am still not going to buy a high quality 650w PSU expecting it to handle a 750w estimated requirement that you get from running the 4670k and sli 770's. The first pc also had a gold rated PSU, while the 650w psu in the second pc is bronze rated

Got a 980 from microcenter and the qnix is in its way from korea. My body is ready.

Also a Tool fan, but I just wanted to say that the 970 is nice, especially how cool it runs. I have the Gigabyte version myself. I've heard that both models are susceptible to coil whine if you get unlucky, but I think you'll be happy.
Yeah I have heard both versions can get coil whine which I don't mind too much. The machine sits underneath my desk right below me so a good deal of the sound doesn't travel that far. Hopefully the card arrives today since UPS says its in Uniondale which whenever that happens it means its out for delivery, if not tomorrow it will arrive

Do you plan on keeping the PC as is, or doing some upgrading? I like the idea of an SSD, but I have a 256GB and I even think that is too small. In this case, it's a 120GB SSD that has no partner HDD. If it's running windows 7, like 40-50GB of that is already gonna be taken up by your OS. And a lot of games these days (e.g. Farcry 4 and shadows of mordor) are a whopping 30GB themselves.

As is, I like the 1st one more. If you got another 120GB SSD and did a RAID0, the 2nd one could be pretty beastly.

I was already going to bUY some things for both builds ontop..I want a bigger SSD,a better PSU and 2 TB HDD.

I think I like the first one better. Better GPU, better PSU you could hold onto if you want to add a second gpu someday. I also like coolermaster's towers, though that is just a personal preference.

Second PC is good too. CPU is a little better, though not a huge difference. Also has a nice CPU cooler.

I never had an ATI card so this was going to be my first venture..All I hear is that the driver support is terrible..I was willing to risk it. I also really like the H100i even though the software for it sucks.

That's what I was worried about...ATI drivers. I will be upgrading the PSU of both..I probably should have mentioned that LOL.

How much do ATI drivers effect performance of the cards? I don't want a game running in ultra with a bajillion artifacts everywhere.

Yeah, I was probably one of those people :p But I am still not going to buy a high quality 650w PSU expecting it to handle a 750w estimated requirement that you get from running the 4670k and sli 770's. The first pc also had a gold rated PSU, while the 650w psu in the second pc is bronze rated

Your correct about the PSU issue..I am defiantly going buy a better PSU for either build because I want the possibility of crossfire/SLI open.

Thank you for your responses fellas.

I was already going to bUY some things for both builds ontop..I want a bigger SSD,a better PSU and 2 TB HDD.
I never had an ATI card so this was going to be my first venture..All I hear is that the driver support is terrible..I was willing to risk it. I also really like the H100i even though the software for it sucks.
That's what I was worried about...ATI drivers. I will be upgrading the PSU of both..I probably should have mentioned that LOL.
How much do ATI drivers effect performance of the cards? I don't want a game running in ultra with a bajillion artifacts everywhere.
Thank you for your responses fellas.
The last ATI card I owned was way back in 2004 and this was before AMD purchased the company. The card was pretty damn good and the drivers for it were nice. Back in the day ATI was really a great company that produced quality cards with good drivers. Today while they do tend to make pretty decent cards, their drivers are horrible, and their support for them is even worse.

I switched to Nvidia in 2005 and never looked back, every single card I have had since has been an Nividia based card produced by EVGA. I only once had a bad card and that was the 8800GTS in 07 which was defective out of the box, bad onboard ram. Newegg replaced it for free and the card worked until I ended up building a new machine. I would say stick with Nvidia but that is just me

As for PSU, I highly suggest if you have the money to spend, get the corsair HX series, it is their professional line of PSU's. I currently have the 850 watt HX one and I love it, the fan does not spin at all unless your power consumption hits a certain load, so you aren't wasting needless energy. Also the HX series build quality is superb.

I would if you are looking into SSD's to check out the Samsung 840 Pro line, I currently have a 128 GB version of that SSD and it runs perfectly, boot times are amazing and it is one of the best solid state drives on the market right now. They have the 512 GB one on Newegg for 289. The 256 I believe is 249.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back