Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all a dual drive is is just a SSD and HDD encased in one right? Wouldn't it be ideal to still buy them separately since if one fails you don't have to go and replace the whole thing?

YA theres that and its a shit deal if you ask me. I would be looking to pay ~55$ for a 120gb ssd and about the same for a 1TB HDD.

Question for PC gamers/customer builders?
I currently have an EVGA 760 GTX Superclocked 2 GB GPU in my custom build right now and I wanted your opinions on what I should do. I was thinking of buying a second one and doing SLI with them both but then I figured that I could buy the 970 instead for future gaming. I was wondering which would be better in the long run. Lastly can anyone recommend a good GPU for less then 400 if I end up switching to a new card.

BTW this is my current setup

Case:
NZXT phantom 530 Black ATX

Mobo:
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 ATX

PSU:
CORSAIR HX Series 850 Watt

CPU:
Intel 3770K Processor

CPU Cooler:
Noctua NH-D14

Memory:
CORSAIR Vengeance Low Profile DDR3 1600 (16 GB)

GPU:
EVGA 760 GTX

Sound:
EVGA 760 GTX HDMI

Hard Drive:
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128 GB SSD (OS Drive)
Western Digital 22KLB0 200 GB Sata
Western DIgital My Book Essential 1TB External

DVD/CD-Rom Drive:
TSSTcorp DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-R, CD-RW Sata DVD Drive
LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA 12X Super Multi Blue with 3D Playback & M-DISC

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit & Linux Mint (Dual Boot)
Monitors:
ASUS MX299Q 29 Inch IPS
Dell S249W widescreen LCD

Input:
Corsair K65 RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Logitech G602 Gaming Mouse

Scored a Soundblaster Z for $70. Going to test out the beamforming mic this weekend, hopefully it's a great success so I can use my expensive cans instead of cheapo gaming headset.

Scored a Soundblaster Z for $70. Going to test out the beamforming mic this weekend, hopefully it's a great success so I can use my expensive cans instead of cheapo gaming headset.
If its the red one that comes with the red LED light on the inside, I got it last year and it worked well for a good two months until I started noticing issues with the sound. It would become all garbled and or just not even play at all after a 15 minutes or so. A reboot would fix it momentarily. Did some research and found out the drivers were wonky and especially with Windows 7. Ended up returning it. Hopefully you have better luck then I do with it

Question for PC gamers/customer builders?
I currently have an EVGA 760 GTX Superclocked 2 GB GPU in my custom build right now and I wanted your opinions on what I should do. I was thinking of buying a second one and doing SLI with them both but then I figured that I could buy the 970 instead for future gaming. I was wondering which would be better in the long run. Lastly can anyone recommend a good GPU for less then 400 if I end up switching to a new card.

BTW this is my current setup

Case:
NZXT phantom 530 Black ATX

Mobo:
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 ATX

PSU:
CORSAIR HX Series 850 Watt

CPU:
Intel 3770K Processor

CPU Cooler:
Noctua NH-D14

Memory:
CORSAIR Vengeance Low Profile DDR3 1600 (16 GB)

GPU:
EVGA 760 GTX

Sound:
EVGA 760 GTX HDMI

Hard Drive:
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128 GB SSD (OS Drive)
Western Digital 22KLB0 200 GB Sata
Western DIgital My Book Essential 1TB External

DVD/CD-Rom Drive:
TSSTcorp DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-R, CD-RW Sata DVD Drive
LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA 12X Super Multi Blue with 3D Playback & M-DISC

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit & Linux Mint (Dual Boot)
Monitors:
ASUS MX299Q 29 Inch IPS
Dell S249W widescreen LCD

Input:
Corsair K65 RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Logitech G602 Gaming Mouse

I always recommend a single GPU over SLI

Im just waiting for the 970 to drop as close to 200$ as possible. Anyone know how well the 970 can push new games on a 2k monitor? How well it would perform with video and games on a 4k TV or Monitor?

What do you mean by 2k monitor? A 1080? then yes a 870 will max everything in it's lifetime at 1080.

Given your questions, it sounds like you are planning to upgrade your displays. You can justify a monitor upgrade, but 4k TVs are still a thing of the future. Most TV content will take a long time to catch up, and the PS4/Xbone will not be at 4k. As for a monitor, you can get away with that. Remember when it comes to 4k, a single HDMI cable can only get you 24fps. With computer monitors, you can at least split the screen between two cables and get close to 50 fps. HDMI 2.0 is in the works, and will make 4k tv's sold today obsolete, which is that sad thing about 4k being pushed.

Personally I think that right now for computers the sweet spot is 1440. Great size and picture quality and you don't need to maximize your horsepower to run it

Moved all my hard drives into the 5.25" hot swaps that arrived yesterday. Wanted to free some space up on the bottom right for a future water cooling endeavor. Also moved the sound card down to the last PCIe in anticipation of a 2nd 970 in the next year or so.

30wxe1w.jpg

Really digging the convenience of the hotswap setup and have been trashing my external hard drive enclosures to free the HDDs.

Decided it would be more effective to get a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter for travel/laptop, some antistatic bags for transportation/storage, and just get HDDs rather than externals going into the future since this method is a lot more versatile.

Edit: I'm now starting to consider just taking out the DVD drive completely, putting in another hotswap, and going for a 4x3TB RAID 10. I'm a big file hoarder, and am starting to get paranoid, so that sounds baller. I figure that if I actually need to use the DVD drive, I can take it out of the antistatic back, plug it into the SATA to USB adapter, and then put it away again when I'm done.

Last edited:
Anyone care to recommend a build that can play Skyrim mods and Arma2 well? $1500 -$2000 is the price range.

Anyone care to recommend a build that can play Skyrim mods and Arma2 well? $1500 -$2000 is the price range.

Really? only A2 and Skyrim mods? For 2Gs?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($121.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($351.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($351.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) ($104.99 @ NCIX US)

Last edited:
Wine was spilled on my laptop last weekend, and it shorted out. I've removed the HD and gotten a Sabrent SATA case, and everything fits, but the new comp won't recognize the drive. Perhaps the HD shorted out? Any ways to test this?

Desktop or Laptop?

If Desktop, about every gaming computer on Tigerdirect would play both of those quite well, maybe not on max settings, but quite well.

If Laptop, we'd have to go indepth. I just ordered a laptop from XoticPC that might fit your price point. Though I haven't recieved it yet, so I'm looking forward to running a few benchmark tests.

Speaking of... can onyone recommend a benchmark program? There's one on Steam for $25, that's pretty steep IMO.

Desktop or Laptop?

If Desktop, about every gaming computer on Tigerdirect would play both of those quite well, maybe not on max settings, but quite well.

If Laptop, we'd have to go indepth. I just ordered a laptop from XoticPC that might fit your price point. Though I haven't recieved it yet, so I'm looking forward to running a few benchmark tests.

Speaking of... can onyone recommend a benchmark program? There's one on Steam for $25, that's pretty steep IMO.

Probably laptop. I'm likely going to the Navy next year.

Probably laptop. I'm likely going to the Navy next year.

Well, chances are you're not going to be allowed to use your laptop during training (definitely not basic, no question about that). So I'd wait until you spend all that money on a top-of-the-line desktop replacement gaming laptop until you have the time to fully enjoy your purchase.

But I'd be absolutley cool with researching what you'd like in your laptop. The laptop I just ordered is this one, with a top-of-the-line GPU, I upgraded the 8GB of RAM to 16GB, got the GPU&CPU overclocking package, and I ordered a 1TB Samsung SSD off of Ebay to go along with the included 1TB HDD and SSD boot drive.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8268s-clevo-p150sma-p-6987.html

Moved all my hard drives into the 5.25" hot swaps that arrived yesterday. Wanted to free some space up on the bottom right for a future water cooling endeavor. Also moved the sound card down to the last PCIe in anticipation of a 2nd 970 in the next year or so.

30wxe1w.jpg

Really digging the convenience of the hotswap setup and have been trashing my external hard drive enclosures to free the HDDs.

Decided it would be more effective to get a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter for travel/laptop, some antistatic bags for transportation/storage, and just get HDDs rather than externals going into the future since this method is a lot more versatile.

Edit: I'm now starting to consider just taking out the DVD drive completely, putting in another hotswap, and going for a 4x3TB RAID 10. I'm a big file hoarder, and am starting to get paranoid, so that sounds baller. I figure that if I actually need to use the DVD drive, I can take it out of the antistatic back, plug it into the SATA to USB adapter, and then put it away again when I'm done.

I wish mine looked liked that, mine always looks like a rats nest.

Trying to upgrade my graphics card from a HD Radeon 6870 within the next few months. Wondering what you guys would suggest within the 150-300 price range that is a substantial upgrade form my current card.

Upgraded from a 6870 to a 970 Superclocked and it's a noticeable step up. I'm running everything more or less full spec. I have the EVGA with ACX cooler setup. It was around 400$ in Canada but it's cheaper in the states.

So I got my PC up and running, but having a few issues. The monitor kill get a "No Signal" error if the computer goes to sleep. Other than that the monitor works fine. I read that I may have to update BIOS or something, so hopefully that is not a big deal.

I also came to the realization that my FiOs' 2.4ghz speed sucks dick. I was confused because my PC was getting terrible speeds while my laptop sitting right next to it was performing as expected. I noticed my laptop was actually using 5ghz and the network adapter I got for my PC was only capable of 2.4ghz. Did some testing and pretty sure that is the reason why the speed difference is so massive.

The 2.4ghz speed is atrocious. Was getting DL speed of less than 1 mb/s compared to my laptop getting ~55 mb/s. I don't have any ethernet ports around so I'd rather not do that, if I could jsut get teh same speed as my laptop I'd be happy. Ordering a new wireless adapter that is capable of 5ghz and hoping that resolves the issue.

I hate being such a noob. Feels like I'm having to reeducate myself daily. Pissed that I set up my PC for AHCI rather than RAID in BIOS when I built it, so I'm gonna have to suck it up and reinstall Win7. Considering getting another SSD and doing a RAID0 in addition to the HDD RAID10, considering I already have to reinstall my OS.

I get all my programs/preferences/etc... back when I restore the system image right?

Upgraded from a 6870 to a 970 Superclocked and it's a noticeable step up. I'm running everything more or less full spec. I have the EVGA with ACX cooler setup. It was around 400$ in Canada but it's cheaper in the states.

I am an AMD GPU user currently (One HD 7950 w/ Boost in each of my Rigs), but i would also recommend the NVidia 970.

With GPU's, the market changes constantly because of price changes and new generations of cards. Both brands have great cards, so IMO it comes down to the best bang for your buck. When i bought my card, the 7950 w/ Boost for around $270-$280 was probably the best bang for your buck, but with the current market i think the NVidia 970 is the best bang for your buck.

I just looked and the prices have gone up some and there doesn't seem to be any sales or rebate offers going on right now, but a few weeks ago they were going for around $280-$290 and i believe they were offering a free game or two with most of them.

Now, i know that much money is at the very end of your price range but it's definitely worth it for the price and personally the $250-$300 range has always been the best or one of the best for getting the most out of your money.

The 970 will give you plenty of performance, so you won't have to worry about replacing it for atleast a few years IMO.

There is another great option too, especially if you would like to save some money but still have good performance. I looked on eBay a few weeks ago and i saw a few people selling brand new in box Radeon 7950's w/ Boost for $125. Which is a bargain IMO.

The 7950 is what i use in each of my rigs, and although it's a a generation or two old, it is still a powerful card and for $125, i don't think you are going to beat it. So i would check atleast check to see if anyone still has them for sale at that price on eBay.

I wish mine looked liked that, mine always looks like a rats nest.

Mine were all like that until i built my newest rig a few years ago. I bought an NZXT Switch 810 Case and since it had plenty of room for wire management i figured i wouldn't half ass it this time and routed all the cables so that there are as few cables showing as possible and so they are organized.

I will say though, that cable management can be very time consuming. Once you start, it's hard not to get all OCD and spend hours just making everything look neat.

I actually spent more time just on the cable management than i did putting everything else together when i built it lol.

You do get some bonuses out of your machine from doing it though too. You get much better airflow (obviously), it makes it a lot easier to work on everything or install a new part and you can much more clearly see what you are looking at and it also just plain makes your machine look better.

I think it was worth it, even if it was a little bit of a pain and time consuming.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-256bit-Graphics-04G-P4-2978-KR/dp/B00OSS0AG4

I am thinking about buying this as a xmas gift to myself. Really like the 970 and would be a good future proof card to replace my current 760

QXKemHo.jpg

Also a pic of my current setup, a little cramped because of the massive desk I have but that is going to change soon. Gonna get rid of the desk and just get myself most likely a one piece desk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back