Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 256GB Samsung Pro and just ordered a second one to do a RAID0. I've also been quite happy with it.

Since you already have an SSD though, I'd recommend getting another copy of it if it is cheap and do a 240GB RAID0. That array would be blazing fast and you would make the most of the SSD you already have. 240GB isn't a lot of space for an OS/games disk, but it's sufficient.

King:
The PSU in the first build looks good to go from the little bit of research I did on it: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/05/06/cooler_master_v850_850w_power_supply_review/9#.VIoTnrGdQSw

So even if you one day want to add a second 290x, it should be good. As for the one in the second build, it's fine as long as you aren't going to try and add a second card. It might not transfer over as well though to a future build. Leaving either computer as the are today though, there is no reason to change out either PSU. When I brought up the PSU, I was just trying to compare the potential values of the systems.

As for AMD's cards, I don't know if I can give you a great answer on that from personal experience. I had the 5770, and it served me well. Latter I had crossfired 6870's, and they were alright but had some issues. But that was 2-3 years ago, and I think AMD is doing a better job now. On top of that, I think the 6xxx series from AMD just wasn't one of their better runs.

I would ask GhostZ, he actually has a 290x. I think Madmick also has AMD with a 7950. Nvidia does do a better job supporting their cards, but people tend to take that fact and run with it like AMD drivers are an unmitigated disaster. They aren't, they just aren't quite as fast or good with them. Either way, the 290x is going to be a better card than a single 770.

King:
The PSU in the first build looks good to go from the little bit of research I did on it: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/05/06/cooler_master_v850_850w_power_supply_review/9#.VIoTnrGdQSw

So even if you one day want to add a second 290x, it should be good. As for the one in the second build, it's fine as long as you aren't going to try and add a second card. It might not transfer over as well though to a future build. Leaving either computer as the are today though, there is no reason to change out either PSU. When I brought up the PSU, I was just trying to compare the potential values of the systems.

As for AMD's cards, I don't know if I can give you a great answer on that from personal experience. I had the 5770, and it served me well. Latter I had crossfired 6870's, and they were alright but had some issues. But that was 2-3 years ago, and I think AMD is doing a better job now. On top of that, I think the 6xxx series from AMD just wasn't one of their better runs.

I would ask GhostZ, he actually has a 290x. I think Madmick also has AMD with a 7950. Nvidia does do a better job supporting their cards, but people tend to take that fact and run with it like AMD drivers are an unmitigated disaster. They aren't, they just aren't quite as fast or good with them. Either way, the 290x is going to be a better card than a single 770.

Thanks I decided to go with the AMD build,I want to give them a shot. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Argggh my system image failed when I switched from AHCI to RAID on my motherboard and reinstalled Win7. Gonna be a tedious weekend. Lost like 5 years of pr0n bookmarks due to lazy back ups and assuming this process would go fine.

Still, the RAID0 is pretty cool and I'm looking forward to finally backing up the essentials with a RAID10...I just wish I had known to use the RAID instead of AHCI setting when I first built my PC last year.

Edit: Didn't want to double post, but what sorts of cool toys are you guys getting this holiday? Except for the RAID10, I think I'm about done for the forseeable future. Will probably get a 2nd 970 next holiday season.

Last edited:
I've never done raid, it seems like a lot of work and money for a marginal improvement you can probably hardly notice to be honest. I say that, but take it with a grain of salt because I have never used a Raid setup

I really wanted a 980 when they first dropped, but I am glad I waited because there are some pretty nutty rumors going around about what the Titan 2 and 390x are bringing to the table. I'm not getting myself any computer parts this christmas, but I might buy the biggest most badass single card that comes out when those two start throwing down.

I did by myself this TV though, Best Buy had it on sale for 1k at 51 inches: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-pn51f8500-hdtv-smarthub,3867.html

I've never done raid, it seems like a lot of work and money for a marginal improvement you can probably hardly notice to be honest. I say that, but take it with a grain of salt because I have never used a Raid setup

I really wanted a 980 when they first dropped, but I am glad I waited because there are some pretty nutty rumors going around about what the Titan 2 and 390x are bringing to the table. I'm not getting myself any computer parts this christmas, but I might buy the biggest most badass single card that comes out when those two start throwing down.

I did by myself this TV though, Best Buy had it on sale for 1k at 51 inches: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-pn51f8500-hdtv-smarthub,3867.html

You and me both

@ Blayt7hh: I definitely notice the real-world improvement of RAID0 when using my PC as a workstation, but the effect is marginal for gaming, like you say. If I was just getting a new SSD from scratch, I woulda gotten one of those new 512GB Samsung 840 EVOs, but I already had a 256GB 840 Pro and wanted more space to install my games, so a RAID0 made sense for that situation.

Re: the RAID10, I honestly don't need the performance boost of striping, but 3TB HDDs are the best storage price point right now and I figured that if I was gonna mirror 2 drives for a total of 6TB of storage, I might as well stripe them since the system is already redundant.

So how much of a difference does adding an additional videocard of the same type (AMD 280 in my case) make in FPS and graphics? Does it make more sense to just eventually swap it out with 1 superior video card?

I'm playing Inquisitiion on mostly/all Ultra settings. I don't think I'm hitting 60 FPS, probably around 40 or so but it looks great to me so I leave it there. Just wondering what an additional video card does compared to just replacing it with a stronger one.

I ordered my laptop from ExoticPC on Cyber Monday, and it still hasn't been delivered.

Got an email from them and it said it's entered 'Phase 6 (Final Testing & Quality Assurance)' and when I called them about it, they said it'll be in the mail at the end of the week and delivered on monday or tuesday.

Sheesh. I know it's the holidays... but a freakin month from order to delivery? Thought it was going to be 2 weeks max.

I ordered my laptop from ExoticPC on Cyber Monday, and it still hasn't been delivered.

Got an email from them and it said it's entered 'Phase 6 (Final Testing & Quality Assurance)' and when I called them about it, they said it'll be in the mail at the end of the week and delivered on monday or tuesday.

Sheesh. I know it's the holidays... but a freakin month from order to delivery? Thought it was going to be 2 weeks max.

Yeah, I wanna say it took close to 3 weeks for mine and that was in April. It's worth the wait though, XoticPC is probably the best at what they do.

@ Blayt7hh: I definitely notice the real-world improvement of RAID0 when using my PC as a workstation, but the effect is marginal for gaming, like you say. If I was just getting a new SSD from scratch, I woulda gotten one of those new 512GB Samsung 840 EVOs, but I already had a 256GB 840 Pro and wanted more space to install my games, so a RAID0 made sense for that situation.

Re: the RAID10, I honestly don't need the performance boost of striping, but 3TB HDDs are the best storage price point right now and I figured that if I was gonna mirror 2 drives for a total of 6TB of storage, I might as well stripe them since the system is already redundant.

Ah. I just use my computer for general computer work and gaming. So a single drive boots really fast and all my basic programs pop up instantly. I am pretty sure that for me it just wouldn't really make sense, but someday I might do one just to do it hahah

Yeah, I wanna say it took close to 3 weeks for mine and that was in April. It's worth the wait though, XoticPC is probably the best at what they do.

Right before I read this I recieved an Email saying its in the last phase, packaging and shipping, so hopefully I might even get it by Friday. Its a short distance from Lincoln to Wichita.

Never regretted by purchase, it's just a minor aggravation.

EDIT- Just got an email tracking for the shipment, and it's scheduled to arrive at my doorstep tomorrow. I'll be damned... its like someone at XoticPC views this Sherdog thread on a regular basis, lol.

Last edited:
Welp im pretty sure my H60 died tonight

So how much of a difference does adding an additional videocard of the same type (AMD 280 in my case) make in FPS and graphics? Does it make more sense to just eventually swap it out with 1 superior video card?
It varies, but generally speaking, across all games and cards and hardware running underneath them...a 50% boost in performance. Of course, SLI/Crossfire configurations tend to have issues like higher framerate stutter or sometimes artifacting.

Unless you're dying for FPS it usually makes sense to wait until replacing it with a single GPU for the same price or less than doubling down will yield at least that performance boost. In other words, when there is a single GPU that costs the same or less than buying a new R9 280, and boosts your performance beyond what 2x290's will yield, then you finally have waited long enough that you should start thinking about an upgrade. Until then it's generally just not worth it to upgrade your hardware unless you have a specific task/target you greatly desire that your current hardware is insufficient to meet.

Here is a Tweaktown article specifically benchmarking the R9 280 vs. Crossfired 280's (I linked 3DMark11, but there are specific games benchmarked if you check the drop-down menus at the bottom to go to the next pages in the article):
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/66...aming-oc-in-crossfire-oced-review/index4.html

The guys without issues at Guru3D are saying the Mantle scaling is fantastic for DA: Inquisition, though. Saying 95%. Meaning you effectively double your framerate. Usually that's just a theoretical high seen- at best- only in synthetic benchmarks:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=394922
However, read through. Some are getting terrible stutter, and some are getting constant crashes. Maybe they just don't know how to perform advanced troubleshoots/calibrations, but...these are the types of guys who post at tech forums. I mean, c'mon. There's a reason that, generally speaking, I recommend single-GPU setups. Just avoid all this mess.

I'm playing Inquisitiion on mostly/all Ultra settings. I don't think I'm hitting 60 FPS, probably around 40 or so but it looks great to me so I leave it there. Just wondering what an additional video card does compared to just replacing it with a stronger one.
Download FRAPs to find out what your FPS is. Very simple to run.

Last edited:
It varies, but generally speaking, across all games and cards and hardware running underneath them...a 50% boost in performance. Of course, SLI/Crossfire configurations tend to have issues like higher framerate stutter or sometimes artifacting.

Unless you're dying for FPS it usually makes sense to wait until replacing it with a single GPU for the same price or less than doubling down will yield at least that performance boost. In other words, when there is a single GPU that costs the same or less than buying a new R9 280, and boosts your performance beyond what 2x290's will yield, then you finally have waited long enough that you should start thinking about an upgrade. Until then it's generally just not worth it to upgrade your hardware unless you have a specific task/target you greatly desire that your current hardware is insufficient to meet.

Here is a Tweaktown article specifically benchmarking the R9 280 vs. Crossfired 280's (I linked 3DMark11, but there are specific games benchmarked if you check the drop-down menus at the bottom to go to the next pages in the article):
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/66...aming-oc-in-crossfire-oced-review/index4.html

The guys without issues at Guru3D are saying the Mantle scaling is fantastic for DA: Inquisition, though. Saying 95%. Meaning you effectively double your framerate. Usually that's just a theoretical high seen- at best- only in synthetic benchmarks:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=394922
However, read through. Some are getting terrible stutter, and some are getting constant crashes. Maybe they just don't know who to perform advanced troubleshoots, but...these are the types of guys who post at tech forums. I mean, c'mon. There's a reason that, generally speaking, I recommend single-GPU setups. Just avoid all this mess.

Thanks for the info! I'm downloading FRAPS and gonna read through those. I will likely stick with 1 GPU unless I read something that makes me really want to try two. Merry Christmas everyone!

Or MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner if you really wanna geek out.

Re: FPS, I like to have 120+ for competitive games, but 40-60 is fine for single player.

Or MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner if you really wanna geek out.
Definitely. I always recommend FRAPs first since it's absurdly simple and lightweight. Also, a lot of games have a framerate-over-time measurement benchmark built-in now (ex. Batman: Arkham City). It makes benching the game's most demanding peaks very convenient.

Hey guys, I'm currently enjoying my new Sager Laptop.

But I switched out the HDD for a SSD, but Windows 8 isn't recognizing the SSD.

Anyone have any clue of what options I can take to find a solution?

Have you tried booting into the boot menu to see if the motherboard itself is detecting the device? Reference Google, but in your BIOS there should be an option for the boot order, or at least a list of SATA devices. One will be the OS that Windows is loaded onto. Do you see a second drive? If not, then not even the motherboard is detecting it, and it's either an installation issue or a compatibility issue. In that case, make sure you inserted it correctly. Check the user guide. Mind your P's and Q's in the installation setup. Double check every step.

If it is detected, and it's not showing up in Windows, then it's potentially a driver issue (even drives require driver software). Look in Device Manager and try updating automatically from there first if it shows up in Device Manager. If not, try downloading the driver software manually from the manufacturer's website for that specific SSD and installing it.

Those are my best suggestions in a blind. You didn't give me much to go on there.

Did you buy the SSD separate, or did you buy it without windows installed? Windows should be installed on your SSD, so that would be pretty weird if windows couldn't find it's own drive. If Windows isn't on your SSD, definitely change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back