She Weighed 285 lbs until she discovered JIU-JITSU

i went from 220-180. o_O Yea.. xD I liked bjj alot enough to keep on doing it. It's really great and you realize that nobody F's with you after you've learned the jits and start smashing people with your jits. I still bjj and i've been doing it for 8 solid months.

I actually gain weight in muscle when I'm training. Pretty skinny otherwise.

i went from 220-180. o_O Yea.. xD I liked bjj alot enough to keep on doing it. It's really great and you realize that nobody F's with you after you've learned the jits and start smashing people with your jits. I still bjj and i've been doing it for 8 solid months.
You learn BJJ to pick fights? :icon_conf

So instead of people kicking your ass, now they are just going to shoot you. Great!

Based on this post, English is your 4th language and/or you're 16.

You learn BJJ to pick fights? :icon_conf

So instead of people kicking your ass, now they are just going to shoot you. Great!

actually xD i'm still in highschool but you get into 1 little non fight and you do this move and people think you're crazy martial artist. Now nobody picks on me o_O. Weird... That's what i really meant xD

The link seems to have died, and I've not been able to dig out the new one (I presume it is still up on that site somewhere? Maybe not). In case that happened, I made sure to save the article, which means I can add in the inspiring pic from it (on my FAQ, in case the pic doesn't show for some reason):

Jane%2BO%27Malley%2BWeight%2BLoss%2BThrough%2BBJJ.JPG

Just to add here, guys, losing weight from doing BJJ doesn't just make you feel better, it makes all your organs healthier. It can save you from diabetes, improve your heart, liver and kidney health, lower your blood pressure, improve bone density, and basically just make you healthier all around, inside and out. Which will make you live longer so you get to see more of your grandkids.

Great story. I wish i was that motivated to workout.

A guy I used to train with at Gracie Barra Orlando lost 100 lbs from training. They used him as a selling point to sign up. He actually fights now.

i joined BJJ 3 weeks ago with the primary reason of getting in better shape and losing about 20-30 pounds.

So far im down 6 pounds and feeling a helluva better physically and even mentally.

I've lost 20 lbs since starting BJJ I was 205 initially. One of our team mates was like 245 when he first started and is now 190lbs. Our coach wants to compile before and after pics of all those in our academy who have lost massive amount of excess weight. I would say about 15 people or so who have done so.

I understand bjj is cool for losing weight , and getting into shape, but i feel its pretty heavy on the body and i'm looking a bit sceptic at the " this ads years to my life".

Don't get me wrong it turned into my passion , and i am very fit and healthy , but i think if i swam every day or something else instead of bjj my life wouldn't be worse , health wise.

I understand bjj is cool for losing weight , and getting into shape, but i feel its pretty heavy on the body and i'm looking a bit sceptic at the " this ads years to my life".

Don't get me wrong it turned into my passion , and i am very fit and healthy , but i think if i swam every day or something else instead of bjj my life wouldn't be worse , health wise.

Yeah, but how you gonna motivate yourself to go swimming every damn day?

People blow off exercise if they're doing it just for the sake of fitness. BJJ is fun and addictive so it keeps people coming back. Most of us spend much more time doing BJJ than we ever spent exercising before we started BJJ. I used to dread going to the gym but I look forward to BJJ all day.

Highest weight (Nov 2007): 382. (Trained for a half marathon and ran it in May of 2008).

Weight when beginning Jiu Jitsu (May 2008): 322

Current weight: 262 and counting.

Goal weight: Around 230 (I'm 6'2" and have a large frame).

Back