She Weighed 285 lbs until she discovered JIU-JITSU

I actually gained about 15 lbs (muscle) when I first started. Then I started competing and lost 20 lbs (fat). When I started my resting heartrate was 74 bpm and is currently 46 bpm.

My obligatory picture of one of our purple belts. He was 300lbs and now cuts to 174 for tournaments. He walks around 185-190.

beforeafter.jpg

That's freaking awesome!

Thanks for posting.

That's an inspiring story and I might actually meet her one day since she's so close by.

Thanks for posting.

There is just one thing to say about all these great weight loss stories:

Fucking_Awsome.jpg

Great story, and she was training 4x a week.. thats awesome! It's great to see people stick with it and watch how it benefits their life so tremendously :)

I don't have any dramatic before and after pics, but when I started training, I was 255, and had a 40 inch waist. Today I walk around at 195, cut to 185 for competition. I've been holding that weight and training for 3 years. Martial arts (BJJ/Judo/MT) literally saved my life.

I actually gained about 15 lbs (muscle) when I first started. Then I started competing and lost 20 lbs (fat). When I started my resting heartrate was 74 bpm and is currently 46 bpm.

Very cool, a definite good mark of fitness, sometimes when nurses check my bpm I make sure to tell em that I'm an athlete (i don't tend to look like one), a poor girl took it 3 times to make sure she was right.

BJJ has so many health (and life) benefits. Too bad there's no scientific study proving that. I doubt anybody would fund that research.. :\

I'm pretty sure there are endless studies on the benefits of working out.

Personally I am down over 40lbs since I started in November. I am not losing weight as fast anymore but I seem to be getting smaller just as quickly.

BJJ has so many health (and life) benefits. Too bad there's no scientific study proving that. I doubt anybody would fund that research.. :\

This isn't exactly a study, but there was a whole Fightworks Podcast episode on the topic of weight loss due to BJJ, with loads of people calling in saying how much they'd lost.

Started at 285, currently at 215-220 (maybe closer to 220, since I'm just wrapping up 2 weeks vacation.) Shooting for 195. I am 34 years old and weigh less than I did when I was 14.

I honestly believe BJJ is saving my life. When I started, I smoked, drank, ate garbage and partied all the time. I also train Muay Thai and wrestling , but that is really just to improve my cardio and takedowns for BJJ.

I'm pretty sure there are endless studies on the benefits of working out.
I should have been more clear, i'd like to see studies on the health benefits of training bjj in order for there to be more support from the medical community. My buddy told me that bjj training is mandatory(?) in dubai for schoolchildren. Imagine every kid growing up training bjj... If studies could be made that shows how bjj specifically helps with fitness, it might help it become more mainstream.

Started at 285, currently at 215-220 (maybe closer to 220, since I'm just wrapping up 2 weeks vacation.) Shooting for 195. I am 34 years old and weigh less than I did when I was 14.

I honestly believe BJJ is saving my life. When I started, I smoked, drank, ate garbage and partied all the time. I also train Muay Thai and wrestling , but that is really just to improve my cardio and takedowns for BJJ.

very nice.

i was at like 240 and now i am down to like 200. bjj is a life saver.

Yesterday I went to my class for 1 hour and then 1 1/2 hours of continuous rolling afterward. At the end I felt like I got a real good work out. Had I done weights and cardio instead, it may have been more efficient in my weight loss endeavor.

However, I actually had fun for the time I was in class and the potential weight loss is just a fringe benefit. Having a sport that can be a good exercise, that you enjoy, and that is addicting beats riding some stationary bike for me any day.

This lady could have probably achieved even better results with other exercises but who knows - she may have decided to go to the gym for 3 weeks - be bored out of her mind and then quit again. The addiction factor in BJJ seems to me a huge plus in choosing it as a way to lose weight!

When I started jiu-jitsu 3 years ago, I weighed 185. I'm down to 150 now and trying to get to 125 by the end of the summer. If I can do that, I should be able to get below 100 before 2010.

Back