Reaction score
The New Jane O'Malley

Written by Dom Velando
Thursday, 23 April 2009 04:00

Jenny Craig.

Weight Watchers.

Jiu-Jitsu?

There are infinite reasons people get into submission grappling, but Jane O

Most people don't have that much initiative. Most people after 40 just feel too sorry for themselves and make excuses.

BJJ has so many health (and life) benefits. Too bad there's no scientific study proving that. I doubt anybody would fund that research.. :\

This happen to me.. I started bjj weighing around 230..and I stayed at that weight for a while, but then I wanted to get real serious about training and competing, and I got down to 195..in like 3 mths

I myself went from 200 to 175 in 6 weeks, then i decided i was too light and am eating well but piggy sometimes, now around 180.

A 285 pound woman in Wisconsin is a light heavyweight.

Great story.

I've gone down about 35 lbs since starting BJJ last year and around 90 total in the last two years.

I think the most important thing the BJJ has done is to give me a reason to care about my health for more than just losing weight. I want to be quicker, more flexible, have great endurance and strength....all because those things help my BJJ.

Great story.

I've gone down about 35 lbs since starting BJJ last year and around 90 total in the last two years.

I think the most important thing the BJJ has done is to give me a reason to care about my health for more than just losing weight. I want to be quicker, more flexible, have great endurance and strength....all because those things help my BJJ.

wait you've only been doing bjj for like a yr? With the way you post I thought you'd be like a purple or something (unless you are, in a year...then mad props).

i was about 270 at my heaviest.

then i started running everynight and got down to around 235 but was having a hard time loosing more weight and i was running around 3 miles a night.

then i started BJJ and about 6 months later i got down to 195 and im been holding that weight for about a year now.

I was in the hotel room when that interview was taken! We were on our way to the Arnolds?

wait you've only been doing bjj for like a yr? With the way you post I thought you'd be like a purple or something (unless you are, in a year...then mad props).

No. I've been involved in BJJ, submission grappling and the Army Combatives program since like 1995, but I formally began BJJ with a gi last year after a VERY long hiatus from just about all activity.

Most of what I post if stuff I've read from purples, browns and black belts on other forums, worked with my instructor and find to be accurate.

Also, if someone asks a question that I've seen one of the more knowledgeable people on here answer, I can usually regurgitate it.

But I can't post on the scale of the truly gifted grapplers here, like Hayliks, tapskillz, Frodo, Balto, Aesopian or Mike Triangles.

I tend to post about obvious stuff. They post about the heady, deep stuff of BJJ....the mysteries, as it were.

My cousin started high school wrestling at an out-of-shape 240 lbs. He wrestled his senior year at 135 lbs as one of the team's captains. At our family reunion his own relatives didn't recognize him.

And Junior, the strength and conditioning coach at the Penn's Fitness Center (he's the one sometimes seen talking/narrating in the mygymshow) was at one time 300+ lbs. The guy is now a beast for cardio.

My obligatory picture of one of our purple belts. He was 300lbs and now cuts to 174 for tournaments. He walks around 185-190.

beforeafter.jpg

Back