*Serious question about Psycology*

Seiryoku Zenyo

We are all one
@Brown
Reaction score
I've read more than once, here in Sherdog, people mocking about psycology and psycologists, like it is the most useless, stupid career.

On the other hand, i read a lot of threads about guys got into depression, drugs, addictions, couple problems, etc, etc.

So, question is, do you really believe psycology is kindda useless? Or at least overrated?

In my opinion, maybe 90% of guys would never visit a psycologist. But for the other 10%, it could be a matter of life. If that's true, it is a great stuff.

A counselor or psychologist should be seen before a psychiatrist (pill doctor) every time, and extensively. People don't want to solve problems though, they want to numb them.

If you're avoiding these things because of ego, grow up a little.

Everyone says it's a pseudoscience and useless until they or a loved one actually need it (which then forces them to actually learn what mental health treatment really is for once). People can say it's BS all they want but suicide is not a mentally healthy or normal behavior, neither is traumatic reexperiencing, neither are hallucinations, neither are panic attacks. They all are real and all require treatment and intervention, often times at a level beyond simple medication alone in order for sustained or long-term recovery/management

You are talking about clicnical psychology yeah? When I took intro college psych this statistic stood out to me.

The rate of remission of depression after two years is 66%. The rate of remission after any sort of behavioral therapy? Two-thirds.

Not to say it is useless, it may make it less painful just to have someone to talk to.

I've seen a shrink once when I had a panic attack, he pointed out my copious caffeine intake and lack of awareness of my stress levels were an issue, and taught me how to use breath to control my mental state when I needed. Problem solved. OTOH he lit up like a Christmas tree to discuss how my upbringing may have left deep seated issues (that weren't affecting my life) at which point I stopped going.

Saw another who helped me figure out how to organise my life a tiny bit without getting on the study drugs. Quite good outcome. Like the poster above said, go see someone without the power to prescribe first.

You are talking about clicnical psychology yeah? When I took intro college psych this statistic stood out to me.

The rate of remission of depression after two years is 66%. The rate of remission after any sort of behavioral therapy? Two-thirds.

Not to say it is useless, it may make it less painful just to have someone to talk to.

I've seen a shrink once when I had a panic attack, he pointed out my copious caffeine intake and lack of awareness of my stress levels were an issue, and taught me how to use breath to control my mental state when I needed. Problem solved. OTOH he lit up like a Christmas tree to discuss how my upbringing may have left deep seated issues (that weren't affecting my life) at which point I stopped going.
Through experience, this can be valuable to anyone...for me, the fact I knew the person wouldn't judge me and that I could take my business elsewhere if I felt they were making illegitimate judgements made it easy to verbalize things...just saying things out loud to another person can be therapeutic on its own, regardless of the interaction you may receive back.

It's great,if you are really interested in science work,and to helping others...
They learn in school and after about sociology,history,biology,
philosophy,human behavior...,not only their "brain games",and their stupid quiz a,b,c,d questions..

I'm kidding,they are stupid,useless bastards,blood-money experiment suckers...

IM in grad school right now, if i find out this stuff is useless im gonna be pretty upset@!

You could start by learning how to spell its name.

I used to assume it was.

It's fun to assume the worst for things when you're a little dumbass kid, makes you feel smarter than others around you.

yet ends up doing the opposite to you in virtually all cases

Whether psychological counseling is effective as treatment and whether Psychologist makes for a good career are distinct questions.

But the answer to the effectiveness question is usually that some combination of drug and behavioural therapy is the best.

Coming up with a theory for why there never seems to be a so-called "effective" psychological treatment would make for a good discussion though. And a lot of the answer would have to do with the multi-factorial nature of the problems, and how dim our understanding of those factors has been so far, historically.

A counselor or psychologist should be seen before a psychiatrist (pill doctor) every time, and extensively. People don't want to solve problems though, they want to numb them.

If you're avoiding these things because of ego, grow up a little.
I seen a physciatrist before anybody else and wouldn't have changed that. But I was skitzo-ing out lol and I don't think just talking to somebody is gonna stop paranoid delusions and hallucinations tbh. Might learn how to live with them, maybe? But that shit had to go. Seriously. So hello pills lol. I'm cool with that tho.

Also it was probably good to get me on a (working) antidepressant as soon as they could, because I was done and things were not going well and weren't going to end so nicely. But they were gonna end. Now I'm much more stable and now looking into behavioural shit. So the pills have kept me in a better state so that I'm even around to work on myself in the first place.

A good psychologist or counselor is someone who knows how to ask you questions that you might have been avoiding asking yourself.

People who know how to ask interesting questions should be prized.

The whole idea is someone holding up a mirror you might not be totally comfortable looking into.
It's an agreed- upon process and it takes some training to learn how, most folks don't just do it naturally.

Jordan Peterson has given me a new perspective on clinical psychology. When you consider the metaphors, morals, and subtext of fairy tales, literature, and mythology you realize that they sort of tell the human story and the story of how we cope with the challenges of civilization in an evolutionary sense of our development. The struggles we face are struggles our ancestors have been dealing with since the beginning. These stories represent thousands of years of accumulated data, knowledge, diagnosis, and treatment. They tell us how our brains function and how they falter. Clinical psychology can help to personally apply the lessons in a meaningful manner to help us overcome our age old struggles and personal demons.

I think it is extremely important as a civilization. Civilizations rise and fall. We have records of this and we know why they rise and fall in some instances. A lot of us see certain conditions emerging that could be seen as heralding a fall and yet it seems no real attempt is being made to course correct. Peterson says get your own house in order. That's where clinical psychology comes in. Control the rise and fall of your own life. But I think part of living in a civilization is you make some sacrifices or some concessions for the good of and the furthering of the civilization, so it's important to analyze the knowledge we've been given, put it into practice, add to it, and ensure we pass it on.

Other than that what I know about psychology is that the people that want to control us and manipulate us know our psychology much better than we do. Drives, motivations, manipulations, and demoralization and all that.

Last edited:
Psychology is legit. Why would you think it's not?

i think psychologists are great, but you only get out of them what you put into it.

sure some psychologists you just wont click with, but if you find the right one and you are really no holds barred on whats holding you back or is the cause for your deppression, anxiety, anger, stress, what ever, as long as you are giving them the right input to give the correct feed back out it will work.

one psychologist i saw, i didnt trust him so i didnt open up to him and i saw him for 8 sessions and it was just shit.

the second one i saw i saw for just over 2 years and he was fucking bliss. i felt much more comfortable and relaxed with him where he helped to pull me out of the abyss i was in and he helped me to understand myself better and gave me the right knowledge and feed back to improve myself.

you wont find the right one straight away, and you will not open up straight away, but i think the older you get and the more you realise you need help with certain areas of your life that are fucking around with your mentality and behaviour, you will be much more accepting to do the right things to get the change done.

I seen a physciatrist before anybody else and wouldn't have changed that. But I was skitzo-ing out lol and I don't think just talking to somebody is gonna stop paranoid delusions and hallucinations tbh. Might learn how to live with them, maybe? But that shit had to go. Seriously. So hello pills lol. I'm cool with that tho.

Also it was probably good to get me on a (working) antidepressant as soon as they could, because I was done and things were not going well and weren't going to end so nicely. But they were gonna end. Now I'm much more stable and now looking into behavioural shit. So the pills have kept me in a better state so that I'm even around to work on myself in the first place.
That makes sense. Extreme cases are certainly exceptions...

Not that I don't think therapy is useful, but I don't necessarily buy into the push for specific manualized therapy. Factors like patient motivation, readiness for change, and most importantly whether there's that connection between the two people are likely the most critical variables, whatever the brand of therapy.

I have no idea how useful therapy is. But psychologists do important studies that often give us incredible insight into human behavior. The problem is, psychologists are not quite as well versed in statistical interpretation as they should be. But many are and conduct excellent studies.

I've read more than once, here in Sherdog, people mocking about psycology and psycologists, like it is the most useless, stupid career.

On the other hand, i read a lot of threads about guys got into depression, drugs, addictions, couple problems, etc, etc.

So, question is, do you really believe psycology is kindda useless? Or at least overrated?

In my opinion, maybe 90% of guys would never visit a psycologist. But for the other 10%, it could be a matter of life. If that's true, it is a great stuff.
Spell check son.

Back