*Serious question about Psycology*

What do you think is bad about being a psychiatrist?

I think you are missing the point of my question. In my experience, Psychiatrists did not do any therapy, they only prescribed medication. They forwarded me to see a Psychologist for therapy. Hence my earlier post as to how can a Psychiatrist prescribe medication if he/she is not the one doing the therapy. When I came off active duty I knew there was something wrong with me. Anxiety level was too high. I saw two Psychiatrists at different times. They both forwarded me for therapy with a Psychologist. Psychiatrists no longer do therapy, so what exactly do they do these days? Research?

By the way, therapy was worthless after trying 4 Psychologists. The medication was ok. What really helped and saved me was working with animals. I got into animal rescue and adoption. Rescued and adopted 5 donkeys who helped me more than all the Psychiatrists, Psychologists, and drugs combined. A few friends with PTSD have said the same thing about animals. Who would have guessed?

I think you are missing the point of my question. In my experience, Psychiatrists did not do any therapy, they only prescribed medication. They forwarded me to see a Psychologist for therapy. Hence my earlier post as to how can a Psychiatrist prescribe medication if he/she is not the one doing the therapy. When I came off active duty I knew there was something wrong with me. Anxiety level was too high. I saw two Psychiatrists at different times. They both forwarded me for therapy with a Psychologist. Psychiatrists no longer do therapy, so what exactly do they do these days? Research?

By the way, therapy was worthless after trying 4 Psychologists. The medication was ok. What really helped and saved me was working with animals. I got into animal rescue and adoption. Rescued and adopted 5 donkeys who helped me more than all the Psychiatrists, Psychologists, and drugs combined. A few friends with PTSD have said the same thing about animals. Who would have guessed?

I could imagine wanting to be a psychiatrist when you realize you can help people live a functional life with drugs that otherwise would end up institutionalized or jailed or suicided, while as a non prescribing therapist you have stats to look at like - a 0% improvement over no treatment in the long term remission of depression.

I've read more than once, here in Sherdog, people mocking about psycology and psycologists, like it is the most useless, stupid career.

On the other hand, i read a lot of threads about guys got into depression, drugs, addictions, couple problems, etc, etc.

So, question is, do you really believe psycology is kindda useless? Or at least overrated?

In my opinion, maybe 90% of guys would never visit a psycologist. But for the other 10%, it could be a matter of life. If that's true, it is a great stuff.

Psychiatrists can prescribe drugs. Psychologists just study the mind or way people think. No less worthless than astronomers, theoretical astro physicists, or philosphers, true crime writers, or financial consultants.

I just started seeing a psychologist about a year ago (After years of just going to psychiatrist) and it was a big help. She's been a big motivator. I've still got a long way to go and I'll probably never get to where I want to be, but still she's brought out some big improvements in my life.

Psychologist is a broad term that doesn't tell you a lot about the persons qualifications. I studied a bachelor degree in science, that makes me very differently qualified to someone who studies a psychology arts degree

You'd both be not qualified at all though.

One thing I don't like is that some of the most messed up girls I've ever met wanted to become psychologists.

It's like they were emotional vampires.

Through experience, this can be valuable to anyone...for me, the fact I knew the person wouldn't judge me and that I could take my business elsewhere if I felt they were making illegitimate judgements made it easy to verbalize things...just saying things out loud to another person can be therapeutic on its own, regardless of the interaction you may receive back.

' words cure thoughts '

One thing I don't like is that some of the most messed up girls I've ever met wanted to become psychologists.

It's like they were emotional vampires.

A lot of women think they are shrinks. They just wind up overthinking everything to a ridiculous degree and having no common sense .

I did date a psychologist for a minute; however, and she had incredible insight.

psychiatrists deal with serious issues, like you mentioned, i.e. depression, addiction, etc. psychologists just bullshit around.

A lot of women think they are shrinks. They just wind up overthinking everything to a ridiculous degree and having no common sense .

I did date a psychologist for a minute; however, and she had incredible insight.

I married one. She's amazing and I know she makes huge impacts in people's lives daily.

Umm, overrated? are you joking? You sound stupid.

Back