Semi old video of ronda training bad striking

She was able to get away with sub-par striking abilities for so long, it's almost impressive. It's a shame she wasn't able to received proper instruction and had to be exposed in the worst way possible.

I know Edmund did a terrible job with Ronda, but is he really that bad? I thought he had trained high level boxers in the past, like Vic Darchinyan?

I know Edmund did a terrible job with Ronda, but is he really that bad? I thought he had trained high level boxers in the past, like Vic Darchinyan?

I think he trained Darchinyan for only a couple fights and after Rousey made him famous. Before Rousey the most notable fighter he trained was Manny Gamburyan. He became Rousey's coach because she literally knew no one else. And he was an asshole to her when they first met, that's why Ronda's mom hates him so much.

One could argue Ronda would have been better off with NO striking training whatsoever. She was a "one trick pony" but her "one trick" of takedown and armbar was good enough to sub girls within minutes and get the belt!

Edmund put in Ronda's head foolish confidence in her sub-par striking ability and she started to rely on it INSTEAD of her world-class Judo game - that was her downfall IMO.

Of course someone with perfect TDD would have been able to keep it standing and KO her eventually but it really isn't easy keeping the fight standing vs a Judo Olympian. Unless said Judo Olympian acts like a dumbass and starts striking with you - then it's a different story and that's what happened.

You summed it up perfectly. So much potential, but not enough technical coaching.
Which sadly is how alot of mma gyms are run. Not enough technical training. You see it debated here and on the grappling forum and other forums all the time.. The attitude seems to be sparring.. Spar all the time, focus maybe 10 minutes a week on non sparring things, then spar and hope they learn everything they need from sparring..

This is exactly how my old mma gym ran itself. All sparring and very little technical drilling. What the flying hell is the point of having someone spar, or fight if they dont have the tools drilled into them outside of sparring?

Its interesting how everyone victimizes Ronda in this thread. Maybe because she is a woman.

She always only had the mental game to lead and then fall of a cliff. Even in Judo thats how she behaved. She never could face adversity and was an abrasive bully bitch to everyone she could put down. Just like Edmund.

Thats just not the way a champ works. She cant face adversity or look at her weaknesses. Thats why she decided to use an asskissing coach like Edmund and did not leave him even as she realized what a shit coach he is. The exact opposite of fighters like TJ, Fedor or well nearly every other fighter in UFC / Bellator.

The same aspects that made Ronda suceed were her downfall and never allowed her to really work on her game.

Last edited:
She conquered MMA, is boxing next?

Nope, WWE is next.

ronda-rousey-ring-magazine.jpg

One could argue Ronda would have been better off with NO striking training whatsoever. She was a "one trick pony" but her "one trick" of takedown and armbar was good enough to sub girls within minutes and get the belt!

Edmund put in Ronda's head foolish confidence in her sub-par striking ability and she started to rely on it INSTEAD of her world-class Judo game - that was her downfall IMO.

Of course someone with perfect TDD would have been able to keep it standing and KO her eventually but it really isn't easy keeping the fight standing vs a Judo Olympian. Unless said Judo Olympian acts like a dumbass and starts striking with you - then it's a different story and that's what happened.

Its interesting how everyone victimizes Ronda in this thread. Maybe because she is a woman.

She always only had the mental game to lead and then fall of a cliff. Even in Judo thats how she behaved. She never could face adversity and was an abrasive bully bitch to everyone she could put down. Just like Edmund.

Thats just not the way a champ works. She cant face adversity or look at her weaknesses. Thats why she decided to use an asskissing coach like Edmund and did not leave him even as she realized what a shit coach he is. The exact opposite of fighters like TJ, Fedor or well nearly every other fighter in UFC / Bellator.

The same aspects that made Ronda suceed were her downfall and never allowed her to really work on her game.

Came here for both of these points.

Jimmy Pedro Jr. had to practically make her live at his home gym to keep her on task; im sure she wasn't thankful and resented him for it, even though him giving a shit was why she could get into the olympics in the first place.

Later when she transitioned to MMA she was training with Gokor and Gene Lebel, and likely a similar situation happened; even though they're making her into a champ, what she really cared about was the personal validation. But since they are too real to blow smoke up her ass, she jumps around until she found someome who did, and basically drops the skillset that got her into the big times in the first place.

(Incidentally, that story of what happened when she first walked into edmund's chalet is pretty much a case study in borderline personality game; girl with inflated opinion shows up, expects guy(s) to fall over; guy basically ignores her [at first], girl becomes obsessed with getting his approval.)

Last edited:

Jimmy Pedro Jr. had to practically make her live at his home gym to keep her on task; im sure she wasn't thankful and resented him for it, even though him giving a shit was why she could get into the olympics in the first place.

Later when she transitioned to MMA she was training with Gokor and Gene Lebel, and likely a similar situation happened; even though they're making her into a champ, what she really cared about was the personal validation. But since they are too real to blow smoke up her ass, she jumps around until she found someome who did, and basically drops the skillset that got her into the big times in the first place.

(Incidentally, that story of what happened when she first walked into edmund's chalet is pretty much a case study in borderline personality game; girl with inflated opinion shows up, expects guy(s) to fall over; guy basically ignores her [at first], girl becomes obsessed with getting his approval.)

On point thx. Gokor & Gene made her into a champ. Edmund just reapt what they built. He has zero part in Rondas success.

I forgot this gym change and its the perfect example that Ronda was not manipulated but actively looked for an oportunistic criminal looser like Edmund whose character traits matched hers.

On point thx. Gokor & Gene made her into a champ. Edmund just reapt what they built. He has zero part in Rondas success.

I forgot this gym change and its the perfect example that Ronda was not manipulated but actively looked for an oportunistic criminal looser like Edmund whose character traits matched hers.
She didnt seem that bad early on in her career. I had the impression that Gokor and Gene were really fond of her. Maybe she changed.....

Her striking has always been shit, it was hilarious when anyone mentioned this in the heavies and people would get angry and now 90% of them people say she has shitty boxing now that she has been KTFO and exposed but before that it was all "amazing/she can beat up men"

Another is Conor McGregor fans thinking his boxing skills were amazing

I feel for the kid who probably went to the gym the day after with this advice

She didnt seem that bad early on in her career. I had the impression that Gokor and Gene were really fond of her. Maybe she changed.....

What changed is she became hot shit.

All of a sudden there's all this validation coming in from outside sources besides her coaches and training partners, and her reptile hindbrain is going, 'shit, what am i paying attention to these losers for, look at all this narc supply i can be getting from over here'.

It's not so much that fame changes people, it just disinhibits whats already there.

Last edited:
That's the craziest part. A lot of Edmond apologists like to make the excuse that maybe Rousey just had no talent for striking and couldn't learn what he was teaching her, but she clearly had talent. She had among the best speed and power of any women's MMA fighter. She just had terrible, terrible coaching. Edmond is a leech who turned one of the most dominant women ever into a laughing stock.

To this day, I wish she had gone to train with Ray Longo - he could have very easily made her almost like a female Chris Weidman. Imagine her with lateral footwork with hands that fast.

To this day, I wish she had gone to train with Ray Longo - he could have very easily made her almost like a female Chris Weidman. Imagine her with lateral footwork with hands that fast.
Shit happens for a reason. It is what it is, despite that she could've gone miles further.

Which sadly is how alot of mma gyms are run. Not enough technical training. You see it debated here and on the grappling forum and other forums all the time.. The attitude seems to be sparring.. Spar all the time, focus maybe 10 minutes a week on non sparring things, then spar and hope they learn everything they need from sparring..

This is exactly how my old mma gym ran itself. All sparring and very little technical drilling. What the flying hell is the point of having someone spar, or fight if they dont have the tools drilled into them outside of sparring?

Maybe Edmond was giving her a different sort of drilling

<Baelish01>

She looks good in the videos if you ignore form and footwork. If the rumors of her lack of sparring and contact are true then it all makes more sense- those skills being crafted weren’t solidified and forged with fire.

Don't know the details of her falling out with Gene LeBell. I thought they were still friends? Anyone cares to enlighten me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back