Semi old video of ronda training bad striking

I think Holloway would beat him today, Holloway is far better than he was back then and McGregor doesn't handle body shots well at all. That being said I'm not sure Conor could make 145 now, I'd imagine he's probably got quite comfortable at 155, which is a more reasonable goal for him to make in weight cuts.

I could also see Justin Gathje beating McGregor, his bull guard is the same thing that Diaz used to smack McGregor about with. Although I wouldn't favour Justin has heavily as Holloway

I think Holloway would beat him today, Holloway is far better than he was back then and McGregor doesn't handle body shots well at all. That being said I'm not sure Conor could make 145 now, I'd imagine he's probably got quite comfortable at 155, which is a more reasonable goal for him to make in weight cuts.

I could also see Justin Gathje beating McGregor, his bull guard is the same thing that Diaz used to smack McGregor about with. Although I wouldn't favour Justin has heavily as Holloway
I think thats a bit of a stretch regarding justin. I'm a fan but if those shots Johnson landed on him were from Mcgregor, he'd be out.

I think thats a bit of a stretch regarding justin. I'm a fan but if those shots Johnson landed on him were from Mcgregor, he'd be out.

That's an argument I've heard before, that I don't really like, because the sort of shots Johnson landed on him aren't shots that McGregor is good at. Johnson can stand and just throw lighting fast straights, McGregor really doesn't have that speed or the ability. You have McGregor's back step counter (which doesn't really work on fighters using the bull guard) and once you get past that, he doesn't really have much of a boxing arsenal, and he doesn't like being backed up. He likes a sudden burst of forward momentum that he can counter and then reset, he doesn't do well with constant forward pressure and he's not particularly good at avoiding being cut off either. In that way he is quite typical of a lot of counter fighters, you've also got to factor in that Justin Gaethje is also quite a bit bigger than him and has been wrestling competitively since he was four, I should also add the big leg kicks that McGregor doesn't like too.

He's a better match up than I think you give him credit for

Last edited:
That's an argument I've heard before, that I don't really like, because the sort of shots Johnson landed on him aren't shots that McGregor is good at. Johnson can stand and just throw lighting fast straights, McGregor really doesn't have that speed or the ability. You have McGregor's back step counter (which doesn't really work on fighters using the bull guard) and once you get past that, he doesn't really have much of a boxing arsenal, and he doesn't like being backed up. He likes a sudden burst of forward momentum that he can counter and then reset, he doesn't do well with constant forward pressure and he's not particularly good at avoiding being cut off either. In that way he is quite typical of a lot of counter fighters, you've also got to factor in that Justin Gaethje is also quite a bit bigger than him and has been wrestling competitively since he was four, I should also add the big leg kicks that McGregor doesn't like too.

He's a better match up than I think you give him credit for
yeah come to think of it you make a good argument. If justin uses his wrestling he could give MCG problems.

Ronda boxing is nowhere as bad as people make it to be these days.

Her ass shake a lot when she punches, but females aren't as coordinated compared to males and their hips are different.

Ronda wasn’t a great striker. She kept making improvements but had a way to go. Obviously her grappling was sublime

That said, she went from bar tending in Venice to an amazing run in mma which turned her into one of the most successful athletes in the history of combat sports. She’s in the history books as the girl that got women into the UFC. I know it’s cool to “hate” on Ronda, here especially, but she inspired me and Ill thank her in person one day.

One thing I have to say on most Ronda threads..she has 14 mma fights. A lot more than most on this thread. Is it fine to criticize...sure. But never forget while youguys were being critical she was actually fighting.......

Yes this is sherdog so that always gets lost with her

Last edited:
Ronda boxing is nowhere as bad as people make it to be these days.

females aren't as coordinated compared to males

???

Coloreds aren't as good at math either.

The difference between men and women is strength, not whatever the hell you're going on about.

Also wtf are you even talking about, her boxing being good. She got KOed by the only 2 competent strikers she faced.

???

Coloreds aren't as good at math either.

The difference between men and women is strength, not whatever the hell you're going on about.

Also wtf are you even talking about, her boxing being good. She got KOed by the only 2 competent strikers she faced.
I know that you have not seen naked females in your life, but the female hip bone is very different compared to the male hip bone.
And my sport science book tells me that females are at a serious biomechanical disadvantage compared to men.

This video kinda make me sad. Because i see a in shape girl with fast muscle fibers, and a hungry open mind. She is willing to put in the work in order to get better. But that fucking coach...

Discuss.

all her striking in those clips looked good to me, i saw defense and head movement.

but pads and sparring at the gym are not fighting. being able to carry that stuff over to a fight is easier said then done. just cause you can do it on the pads/sparring doesnt mean you can do it in a fight.

Back