Rogue One was far better than Force Awakens....

I need to watch them both again

Felicity Jones >>>>>>>>>>>>> Daisy Ridley

@pcptornado poll:

Star Wars new generation special.

Book it!
If I do this poll it's going to be a while, i have to finish the list I have before I take any new requests.

But I took a screenshot of the matchup on my phone and I'll save it for when I'm done my current list. So hang tight.

{<redford}

Meh, the only good actor or interesting character was pilot robot K-2SO, the score was also unoriginal the force awakens was also derivitive but it was more entertaining and had more likeable characters. in the end both films weren't great but TFA was a better spectacle.
Rogue-One-3.jpg

Rogue One was absolutely terrible. The only decent part of the movie was the Vader scene at the end.

Daisy Ridley is the most believable and lovable actor between both films, IMO.

Can't wait to see her interaction with Luke.

The ending to TFA was cinematic confection.

jus saying.

Rogue one was superior in every way imo. "Who's with me!!!"

I hope episodes 8 and 9 step it up. Or Disney will feel my nest wrath

That's nerd wrath (GD auto correct)

I said the same thing when I walked out of Rogue One. Force Awakens was garbage. Rogue One wasn't a perfect film, but it hit the mark in a number of different ways. Rogue One was very enjoyable.

I need to watch them both again

I'v done that pretty recently and honestly I find an ever increasing gulf in quality between them with repeat viewings.

The Force Awakens was reasonably entertaining for one viewing at the cinema but honestly is pretty much the same formula as Abrams recent Trek for me which simply doesn't age well, perhaps not even as good as that since it lacks a cast with as much character. When you get past action/humour/nostalgia being thrown at your face at 110 MPH the whole time I think the general lack of depth and confused plot really becomes a lot more obvious, the characters way too broad for me and constantly at the mercy of the plot rather than driving it. Seriously I think people are going to look back on Abrams career rather like Avatar and think "how the hell was he so popular?"

Rogue One on the other hand I think improves with each viewing and indeed actually feels not too dissimilar to Empire Strikes Back(albeit with a few weaker sections) to me with the obvious addition of some modern filming elements and war movie influences. As I said earlier the ironic thing for me is that dispite being held in such high reguard I think Empire would get pissed on were it released today, people grew into it over multiple viewings but todays audiences seem to want something simple that can be taken in totally with one viewing without much effort on there part.

As with Edwards Godzilla is feels very much against the grain of modern blockbusters, instead ot the broad histrionics of Abrams and Marvel(albeit the latter is often very effective) you actually get acting with some subtly to it that asks a little of the viewer. Jones I think gives a much better more subtle performances than ABrams leads mugging and K2 plus Chirut/Blaze probably have the best Starwars banter since the original films in place of Abrams crude meta jokes.

I'd say...

Rogue One - 8.5/10

The Force Awakens - 6/10

Last edited:
Vader's R1 mass murder was one of the best SW moments ever.

Rogue One felt too flat to me, not enough of that "magic" I expect from Star Wars, but then again I haven't been a real fan of any SW film since RotJ.

I watched Rogue One once, and TFA once or so. I give the slight edge to TFA since I didn't care much about the Rogue characters.

I agree it was better,but that doesnt make it amazing either. I think both were "good" movies which overused nostalgia to hit us in the feels. They didnt have much power on their own. I truly hope this is the last movie involving a planet destroying sattelite ever.

Rogue One felt too flat to me, not enough of that "magic" I expect from Star Wars, but then again I haven't been a real fan of any SW film since RotJ.

Granted the force was in it less but I actually felt Rogue One was more inline with the originals there than everything since. The force as something more mystical/spiritual rather than a Harry Potter style collection of magic tricks to be used in action scenes.

HHJ said:
I agree it was better,but that doesnt make it amazing either. I think both were "good" movies which overused nostalgia to hit us in the feels. They didnt have much power on their own. I truly hope this is the last movie involving a planet destroying sattelite ever.

Again I think a clear difference between them in favour of Rogue One. Granted it did have a small number of direct callbacks(the bar aliens, R2/3PO) but for the most part it was just working via recreating the setting. Abrams on the other hand was going full "member berrys" for much of the film, "member the Falcon?", "member Chewy?", " "member lightsaders?", "member X-xings" having these things front and centre in the scene rather than just as part of the setting.

I think it's better but not by a whole lot. Like others have said, TFA felt too much like ANH.

Found Rogue One pretty boring. Didn't care for the characters or acting. TFA had a lot going for it and was a non stop ride. Plus the acting from Kylo Ren guy was great.

Kind of a tossup for me. I thought TFA was significantly more entertaining/fast-paced. There is a segment of Rogue One- after the scene on Jedha and before Krennic confronts Gaelen that drags. I thought TFA was exciting throughout its entirety.

Rogue One has more weight and a sense of urgency to it and felt like they were doing something grittier/different which I can commend. It especially helps when factoring in the pros and cons of the TS' matchup, as The Force Awakens is so derivative of A New Hope.

Still, I think I'd rank Episode VII as superior on the enjoyment and rewatchability levels.

question for the older fans of the original star wars... wasnt that impressed with ep 1-3...are rogue one and force awakens worth a peep?

I didn't see Rogue One. I did see Force Awakens while flying back from Europe. I thought it was good. And I don't even like Star Wars. I don't know what all the hate is about.

Back