Media Rob Whittaker predicts his bout against DDP: "I'm looking to put him away"

Question

Just a friendly Sherdogger.
@Black
Reaction score
CLIP(16 seconds):

VIDEO(SOURCE):

CLIFFS(FULL VIDEO:
- Robert on how the camp has been leading into his bout against Dricus "Stillknocks" Du Plessis(19-2): "The camp has been great mate. It's been absolutely a slog fest and a bit of a war, but I've gotten through it and now we're quite shy of a few days of two weeks."

-
He and his team are planning to fly over to the Las Vegas twelve to fourteen days out of the fight.

- On what the mentality has been for this training camp: "The theme has been hard work honestly. I mean they are all hard work obviously, but this one we've really doubled down on just grinding it through, being resilient, having the best cardio we can have and really mixing up the skill set."

- Christian(Interviewer): "Du Plessis has been on a great run. What do you think is the greatest thing about him that past opponents have overlooked?"
Robert's response: "I think because he's not super flashy, he doesn't do crazy things and doesn't really do things that stand out amazingly people overlook him... They underestimate his capabilities, but you won't find that in me. I understand the threat he brings to the fight and I'm treating it with all due respect."

- Christian(Interviewer): "He might have been able to get a title shot with Israel straight after, but he told Kacper and Deni from Submission Radio that he wants to fight you on the way to the title. Do you respect that he wanted to take this hard fight to try and get there?"
Robert's response: "Definitely. You see that's one of the reasons why I have to respect the threat that he brings because he's looking for the hard fights, he doesn't want the easy road.. Yeah you got to respect that."

- The interviewer brings up the rivalry between Dricus "Stillknocks" Du Plessis(19-2) and Israel "The Last Stylebender" Adesanya(24-2), Robert states he hasn't doesn't know much about it.

- Robert's thoughts on Israel "The Last Stylebender" Adesanya(24-2) envisioning Dricus "Stillknocks" Du Plessis(19-2) getting a first round KO win: "I'm sure he wants Du Plessis to win so he can fight him instead of myself."

- Expresses that he isn't concentrating on anything besides his upcoming including things such as UFC 293 in Sydney and a potential title shot of the winner of his fight against the champion there.

- Robert on how he matches up against Du Plessis: "I believe I'm better then him... I think it'll be a hard fight you know.. I'm just better then him and I know this."

-
Robert comments on potential light heavyweight move: "It's hard to say because they're big dudes and tall, I don't like fighting tall guys. Maybe, maybe... I'm pretty good at middleweight and I make the weight quite easily."

- Robert's prediction for the fight: "It's gonna be a dogfight, but I'm looking to put him away... I wanna put him away and it's not that I haven't tried with everyone else, but I want to get a finish."

UPCOMING FIGHT:
The number two ranked UFC middleweight Robert "The Reaper" Whittaker(24-6) will be taking on the number sixth ranked middleweight in Dricus "Stillknocks" Du Plessis(19-2) at UFC 290 on July 8th 2023. The bout will take place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Neveda.

POSTER(UNOFFICIAL):
Fu-RYyo-Ha-EAAncs7.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta love rob. De Plessis is as tough as the rest of them but his defence leaves so many openings. It's his cardio, come forward style and awkward style that saves him so often.

3 rounds isnt long to put away people at the highest level but would love to see Rob make a statement here.

CLIP(16 seconds):

VIDEO(SOURCE):

CLIFFS(FULL VIDEO:
- Robert on how the camp has been leading into his bout against Dricus "Stillknocks" Du Plessis(19-2): "The camp has been great mate. It's been absolutely a slog fest and a bit of a war, but I've gotten through it and now we're quite shy of a few days of two weeks."

-
He and his team are planning to fly over to the Las Vegas twelve to fourteen days out of the fight.

- On what the mentality has been for this training camp: "The theme has been hard work honestly. I mean they are all hard work obviously, but this one we've really doubled down on just grinding it through, being resilient, having the best cardio we can have and really mixing up the skill set."

- Christian(Interviewer): "Du Plessis has been on a great run. What do you think is the greatest thing about him that past opponents have overlooked?"
Robert's response: "I think because he's not super flashy, he doesn't do crazy things and doesn't really do things that stand out amazingly people overlook him... They underestimate his capabilities, but you won't find that in me. I understand the threat he brings to the fight and I'm treating it with all due respect."

- Christian(Interviewer): "He might have been able to get a title shot with Israel straight after, but he told Kacper and Deni from Submission Radio that he wants to fight you on the way to the title. Do you respect that he wanted to take this hard fight to try and get there?"
Robert's response: "Definitely. You see that's one of the reasons why I have to respect the threat that he brings because he's looking for the hard fights, he doesn't want the easy road.. Yeah you got to respect that."

- When the interview brings out the rivalry between Dricus "Stillknocks" Du Plessis(19-2) and Israel "The Last Stylebender" Adesanya(24-2) Robert states he hasn't doesn't know much about it.

- Robert's thoughts on Israel "The Last Stylebender" Adesanya(24-2) envisioning Dricus "Stillknocks" Du Plessis(19-2) getting a first round KO win: "I'm sure he wants Du Plessis to win so he can fight him instead of myself."

- Expresses that he isn't concentrating on anything besides his upcoming including things such as UFC 293 in Sydney and a potential title shot of the winner of his fight against the champion there.

- Robert on how he matches up against Du Plessis: "I believe I'm better then him... I think it'll be a hard fight you know.. I'm just better then him and I know this."

-
Robert comments on potential light heavyweight move: "It's hard to say because they're big dudes and tall, I don't like fighting tall guys. Maybe, maybe... I'm pretty good at middleweight and I make the weight quite easily."

- Robert's prediction for the fight: "It's gonna be a dogfight, but I'm looking to put him away... I wanna put him away and it's not that I haven't tried with everyone else, but I want to get a finish."

UPCOMING FIGHT:
The number two ranked UFC middleweight Robert "The Reaper" Whittaker(24-6) will be taking on the number sixth ranked middleweight in Dricus "Stillknocks" Du Plessis(19-2) at UFC 290 on July 8th 2023. The bout will take place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Neveda.

POSTER(UNOFFICIAL):
Fu-RYyo-Ha-EAAncs7.jpg

Thank You for the cliffs!

I love Rob, and while he certainly has the tools to put away Du Plessis (who leaves plenty of openings), I think he's going to stick with his usual fighting style - systematically shutting down the opponent's offense while slowly accumulating an advantage in every exchange.

Dricus' trademark whirlwind of chaotic, sloppy offense might get him laid out. even though Rob hasn't finished anyone in a bit, he's fought a lot of dudes with hard heads (Vettori, Gastelum). Rob still hits pretty damn hard. i see him winning with a late TKO, 3rd round.
there's also the chance that Dricus' plain bizarre fighting style might throw Rob off his game, but i dont see that happening.

Good cliffs. Whittaker is one of the guys that almost always goes to decision but I still find enjoyable to watch; like Rich Franklin or Volk. To be fair, most of the guys he has beaten (which in a ton is his highly underrated career) are hard to put away with probably the exception of Till.

Hope Izzy moves up in weight and Whittaker can fight someone new for the vacated belt because this division is a graveyard between the 2 of them

I don't think DDP has cardio issues he just looks like it. Every fight after 2 min he looks like he's exhausted but he still keeps fighting same way entire fight. I got Bobby here but not by cardio but via Ddp leaves himself wide open to head shots.

War Whittaker! Hell of a person and fighter, who doesn't like him is definitely not a good person.

"I think because he's not super flashy, he doesn't do crazy things and doesn't really do things that stand out amazingly people overlook him... They underestimate his capabilities, but you won't find that in me. I understand the threat he brings to the fight and I'm treating it with all due respect."
This is good to hear. Most people think this is an easy fight for Rob but it's not. DDP will push the pace, he's a solid all around fighter and has power. I favor Rob but won't be shocked if Dricus gets it done. I'm happy with either result. Rob is my boy but Izzy vs DDP would be fun.

War Whittaker! Hell of a person and fighter, who doesn't like him is definitely not a good person.
Yeah he is a good guy but just like your boy Charles, he will always be under of the shadow of the better guys
THE CHAMP HAS NAME AND HIS NAME IS NOT CHARLES OLIVIERA

Yeah he is a good guy but just like your boy Charles, he will always be under of the shadow of the better guys
THE CHAMP HAS NAME AND HIS NAME IS NOT CHARLES OLIVIERA
What this has to do with anything? Logics failing again, fanatic?

Both have a chance to prove you are wrong, Charles much more because he lost just 1 time and his first fight was competitive until the knockdown. And Whittaker lost 2 times, but also his last fight was competitive against the champ and is the only MW who deserves a third scrap if he beats Dricus. So, Islam and Israel just need to STFU and fight whoever UFC put in front of them, nothing more.

If they are so good they wouldn't mind like they are minding a lot lately, it's strange... "There are levels and I'm the best, but I want easier challenges"... Go figure why, two hypocrites. Islam much worse because he never fought a top 5 aside of Charles and defended against a FW almost losing the fight LOL.

Last edited:
Decision machine Whittaker finishing an opponent? Hahahaahaha

How is he a decision machine? He has just fought the best at MW.

Vettori - never KO'd.
Kelvin - never KO'd.
Izzy - never KO'd prior to Alex.
Cannonier - never KO'd at MW.
Yoel - never stopped in the UFC.
Till - Prior to last two fights he wasn't known for getting stopped...

He punched holes through Jacare, Brunson and Tavares. He has just literally faced 4 guys recently who people constantly bring up in the "best chins" conversations - Vettori, Kelvin, Cannonier and Yoel.

Even Whittaker doesn't believe he's going to get a finish.

If you watch, when he speaks, he closes his eyes and looks down while predicting the finish.

He has not even convinced himself is going to get one.

How is he a decision machine? He has just fought the best at MW.

Vettori - never KO'd.
Kelvin - never KO'd.
Izzy - never KO'd prior to Alex.
Cannonier - never KO'd at MW.
Yoel - never stopped in the UFC.
Till - Prior to last two fights he wasn't known for getting stopped...

He punched holes through Jacare, Brunson and Tavares. He has just literally faced 4 guys recently who people constantly bring up in the "best chins" conversations - Vettori, Kelvin, Cannonier and Yoel.

That guy's a bad take machine. I've never read anything of his that suggested he be taken seriously.

Back