Media RIZIN CEO Sakakibara on competing with ONE in Japan: "There won't be a war, because [ONE] is handing out free tickets"

can you elaborate on the yakuza guy being out ot control?
I'll explain it the best I remember it.

More or less the crowd was as you'd expect. Quiet and respectful. I was sitting mid way up in the middle of a large section of stands, decent seats. About one quarter of the way through the event this guy who's kinda dressed differently sits down right near us.

He begins yelling at the fighters. Just yelling and yelling and getting more and more angry about it. Giving the fighters the finger and what not. But he's SCREAMING and beyond drunk.

After like an hour, 2 security guards came and just literally stood in front of him on either side and kept talking to him, presumably telling him to leave or move. But they let him watch because the guards stood in front of ME! He was continuing to half talk to them and yelling at the fighters.

This went on for hours on hours....the guards would leave then come back and stand in front of me continually.

Really left a sour taste in my mouth

Japan/Rizin doesn't give af about western audiences. At least One tries to market to US and rest of the world. Most japanese orgs are ran by japan nationalists who don't even have english broadcast and only try to promote Japanese fighters. One>Rizin
I said ONE is better... free is better, but truth is I do like most RIZIN MMA fighters better. Hopefully RIZIN will grow out now. Best to start will a loyal country as a base not burn your bridges like ONE seems to be doing.

Japan/Rizin doesn't give af about western audiences. At least One tries to market to US and rest of the world. Most japanese orgs are ran by japan nationalists who don't even have english broadcast and only try to promote Japanese fighters. One>Rizin
I’d expect more from a user name like yours.

They really didn’t care that much about the western audience in PRIDE either until the very end to save the product and secure a deal.

I like that PRIDE, DREAM and RIZIN did their own thing in that part of the world tbh.

RIZIN did have USA exposure through Bellator co-promotions etc. I think that’s a pretty good effort at least.

ONE isn’t nearly in the same league as the three above Japanese orgs on mma alone. It’s entertaining and has variety but RIZIN is much more polished and just better overall regional or not.

Definitely a reason RIZIN sells tickets, people pay for it and ONE gives out their tickets and had to take a last resort deal worth half the previous deal with Amazon.

Last edited:
I said ONE is better... free is better, but truth is I do like most RIZIN MMA fighters better. Hopefully RIZIN will grow out now. Best to start will a loyal country as a base not burn your bridges like ONE seems to be doing.

They have ties to yakuza the japanese mafia how tf will they expand? You think Sakakibara haven't already burned those bridges? They couldn't even get on western TV with Floyd Mayweather ffs. They only did 1 event in Azerbaijan an even more corrupt country and their champ got KO'd

they didn’t care about the western audience in PRIDE either until the very end to save the product and secure a deal.

I like that PRIDE, DREAM and RIZIN did their own thing in that part of the world tbh.

RIZIN did have USA exposure through Bellator co-promotions etc. I think that’s a pretty good effort at least.

ONE isn’t nearly in the same league as the three above Japanese orgs on mma alone. It’s entertaining and has variety but RIZIN is much more polished and just bette overall regional or not.

Definitely a reason RIZIN sells tickets, people pay for it and ONE gives out their tickets and had to take a last resort deal worth half the previous deal with Amazon.

Rizin these days cares more about drawing in the youtube crowd from Mikuru fans then they do about MMA fans. The days of Pride are long gone. One at least tries to promote the same way.

They have ties to yakuza the japanese mafia how tf will they expand? You think Sakakibara haven't already burned those bridges? They couldn't even get on western TV with Floyd Mayweather ffs. They only did 1 event in Azerbaijan an even more corrupt country and their champ got KO'd

Rizin these days cares more about drawing in the youtube crowd from Mikuru fans then they do about MMA fans. The days of Pride are long gone. One at least tries to promote the same way.

K-1 and PRIDE didn’t have ties to Yakuza?

They brought in Floyd for live tv views on NYE which is their biggest $$ night of the year.

Another thing you see with RIZIN, they outperform the UFC on their home turf. When UFC goes into Singapore they mop the floor with ONE and make it look like the discount bargain basement product it is there.

RIZIN is a premium mma org in Japan, not something they can barely give away for free in their own backyard.

Sometimes not trying to be bigger than you need to be is a good thing. Look at what happens to every org that tries to aggressively move beyond their success.

STRIKEFORCE was in a good place in California. I think orgs like RIZIN and KSW are doing fine without being self destructive like Bellator or ONE etc.

You can be the best burger shack in town with just a couple storefronts and enjoy great success. You don’t have to try and be like McDonald’s and challenge them just to end up failing…….. or you can be ONE and have to give your food away for free.

Remember ONE already bombed trying to sell itself to the USA with a serious pro wrestling lead in with good audience numbers and bigger America superstar names than they have now. Hence the reason their product lost half its value reselling it to Amazon.

K-1 and PRIDE didn’t have ties to Yakuza?

They brought in Floyd for live tv views on NYE which is their biggest $$ night of the year.

Another thing you see with RIZIN, they outperform the UFC on their home turf. When UFC goes into Singapore they mop the floor with ONE and make it look like the discount bargain basement product it is there.

RIZIN is a premium mma org in Japan, not something they can barely give away for free in their own backyard.

Sometimes not trying to be bigger than you need to be is a good thing. Look at what happens to every org that tries to aggressively move beyond their success.

STRIKEFORCE was in a good place in California. I think orgs like RIZIN and KSW are doing fine without being self destructive like Bellator or ONE etc.

You can be the best burger shack in town with just a couple storefronts and enjoy great success. You don’t have to try and be like McDonald’s and challenge them just to end up failing…….. or you can be ONE and have to give your food away for free.

Remember ONE already bombed trying to sell itself to the USA with a serious pro wrestling lead in with good audience numbers and bigger America superstar names than they have now. Hence the reason their product lost half its value reselling it to Amazon.

No, their plan with Floyd completely failed. Even Sakikabara said so. Their plan was to get on terrestrial TV in the west using Floyd. Even Takeru vs Tenshin failed to be aired on TV in Japan which was Sakikabara's fault. He's the last one who should talk

No, their plan with Floyd completely failed. Even Sakikabara said so. Their plan was to get on terrestrial TV in the west using Floyd. Even Takeru vs Tenshin failed to be aired on TV in Japan which was Sakikabara's fault. He's the last one who should talk
You have the interview where he said so? Wouldn’t Floyd want to compromise something like that and the time of the event likely make it something less appealing for an American audience. It’s not like a Paul brother in prime time. Nobody gives a shit about Floyd fighting the Tenshin or Kai. Now the May / Pac might be a different story despite then being old af.

I thought it wasn’t aired because of the TV deal they lost and Yakuza issues they had that made them go to digital model.

Bingo. RIZIN, KSW, OKTAGON are all succeeding while ONE is still seeking investment money.

They really didn’t care that much about the western audience in PRIDE either until the very end to save the product and secure a deal.

ONE isn’t nearly in the same league as the three above Japanese orgs on mma alone. It’s entertaining and has variety but RIZIN is much more polished and just better overall regional or not.

Dead on the nail with the part about PRIDE not really being for anyone outside of Japan. They weren't looking to compete with anyone, necessarily (maybe they were once Dana and Co. took over the UFC, but not in 1997; originally PRIDE was going to be a one off, like ASTRA or some shit), they simply got a fanbase from overseas bc they happened to have the money to sign fighters with names, where even the UFC couldn't really pay anyone anything worthwhile at the time. When the name fighters started signing with them, the Western crowd just followed them there, organically. It was really just to make the product interesting for the Japanese crowd, which is historically fond of international competition and watching their guys battle the best of the best from outside of Japan. Later you saw baby steps, like "PRIDE FC 'FUCK YOU, WE SOCCER KICK'" hour on FOX Sports, but, as you said, they didn't really care about the West until they lost their TV deal at home.

RIZIN playing the long game with the world crowd. We're not making or breaking anything, the home crowd is. I expect that, should they expand, it will be calculated, as we have already seen. Maybe the Floyd/Manny fight, if it happens, bc that fight will draw eyes, no matter what banner it is under, and from everywhere, and especially from a place which I believe is in Japan's timezone, or like one over. RIZIN would do well to focus on foreign places closer to home before worrying about the West. If they make that Floyd/Manny rematch, SE Asia is going to watch (ONE territory). The Philippines will probably shut the entire country down for the day. Getting those people, the ones on their own side of the world, to pay attention, it will benefit them more than worrying about people in the West.

I'll explain it the best I remember it.

More or less the crowd was as you'd expect. Quiet and respectful. I was sitting mid way up in the middle of a large section of stands, decent seats. About one quarter of the way through the event this guy who's kinda dressed differently sits down right near us.

He begins yelling at the fighters. Just yelling and yelling and getting more and more angry about it. Giving the fighters the finger and what not. But he's SCREAMING and beyond drunk.

After like an hour, 2 security guards came and just literally stood in front of him on either side and kept talking to him, presumably telling him to leave or move. But they let him watch because the guards stood in front of ME! He was continuing to half talk to them and yelling at the fighters.

This went on for hours on hours....the guards would leave then come back and stand in front of me continually.

Really left a sour taste in my mouth

I'm not trying to be funny, but the same thing happened to me when I was touring a Canadian island village. We were in a group of about 20 people and this dude started yelling jokes at the tour guide. The dude looked like the most stereotypical yakuza I've ever seen, except for missing a finger. He was coked up, in an expensive suit, collar open down to his waste, big colourful tattoos... and the dumbest jokes you've ever heard (with a thick accent). And because everyone except the racists are polite in Canada, everyone just nodded and listened to his dumb jokes.

Screenshot_20240207_114924.jpg

Curiouser and curiouser...

We've presumed Sak was working out contracts for his guys, but this makes it seem like there was more going on. What that would be, idk.

View attachment 1028257

We've presumed Sak was working out contracts for his guys, but this makes it seem like there was more going on. What that would be, idk.
He was negotiating for Kyoji's return to the UFC.

The only other thing it could be (which I doubt) is streaming RIZIN on UFC Fight Pass.

View attachment 1028257

Sak looking like he’s about to announce he’s the 5th member of the J-Pop band the Kai brothers are starting and he’s trying to secure a Vegas show date with Dana.

He was negotiating for Kyoji's return to the UFC.

The only other thing it could be (which I doubt) is streaming RIZIN on UFC Fight Pass.
I wouldn't buy the Fight Pass thing, either. They're doing OK with Fite/Tiller. Two meetings with two guys who run their own orgs for Dana, in the last week or so, standing by for announcements.

I wouldn't buy the Fight Pass thing, either. They're doing OK with Fite/Tiller. Two meetings with two guys who run their own orgs for Dana, in the last week or so, standing by for announcements.
I’m ootl. Who was the other meeting with?

I’m ootl. Who was the other meeting with?
The head of BKFC. Rumors flying that Dana is looking to buy it. Idk if I believe that, BKFC seems to be doing OK for itself, but it is interesting. Idk that they'd want to sign up for FP, either, but maybe...

The head of BKFC. Rumors flying that Dana is looking to buy it. Idk if I believe that, BKFC seems to be doing OK for itself, but it is interesting. Idk that they'd want to sign up for FP, either, but maybe...
Dana realized he isn't actually this mastermind promoter having failed with PowerSlap and instead just buying an already popular entity?

Back