Media RIZIN CEO Sakakibara on competing with ONE in Japan: "There won't be a war, because [ONE] is handing out free tickets"

Must fill the stadiums Victor Cui started it, having fights in big stadiums and filling the empty seats with free tickets. But Cui knew how to sell and promote so there were fewer free seats. But in Japan RIZIN is number one in MMA.

Yeah, easy win for Rizin. Also cold, badass way to humble One. Sakakibara bless.
I'm digging the animosity. Competition, legitimate rivals, they bring out the best in everyone. This is also interesting, bc it has been so long since the top Japanese MMA org even had a legitimate rival, and, when that was last true, the rival was also a Japanese org. This is somewhat new territory, rivalry between top East Asian promotions based in different countries, and we are gonna get things popping in the East Asian MMA-spehere, they're all about to go ham. I imagine K1 is looking to make moves after this, as well, bc they're really the bigger Japanese rival, in a sense (TRULY, it's RISE, but RISE might defer to K1; RISE seems to at least still have a great deal of respect for the K1 name). I presume that all of the name Japanese MMA/KB/(maybe even Quintet) orgs are gonna pull together, a united front, and keep ONE from succeeding in their country. And especially after Chatri disrespected two of their biggest organizations.

I hope the best for Rizin. I went to an event a couple years ago and had a horrible time.

I know there's a culture difference and all but the yakuza guy next to me was so out of control it was insane. The staff just stayed by us and watched it happen.

Plus the event was like 8 hours

It's strange for me, that the Takeru bout even took place but I am overjoyed that it did.

I still watch K1 and thoroughly enjoy it, although it's obviously more grass-roots now.

I just assumed that Rizin would end up swallowing the MMA portion of ONE and ONE would swallow the Japanese KB scene.

I hope they do compete viciously and we end up with monster cards.

I just assumed that Rizin would end up swallowing the MMA portion of ONE and ONE would swallow the Japanese KB scene.

It sure was looking like that might have been the outcome, and within the last year. But ONE seems to stand by their commitment to MMA, even though they're not really committed to MMA, in reality.

What I'm interested in, is the shaping up of the ONE event in Japan, later this year. If the Japanese orgs are going to unite against them, which I presume is already being discussed, ONE is going to need star power for that card. If I'm a betting man, and I'm known to be, ONE is going to look for a degree of support. They act like they're the UFC of Asia and won't co-promote with other orgs, but they might have an ally in Glory, who has several well known names to the Japanese fan on their roster, and, until relatively recently, were based in Singapore, themselves.

Wouldn't that make things a little interesting? What else is interesting to consider, is that the Japanese orgs will probably counter the ONE show with a show of their own, and you know that Japan will do it up to compete with the foreign product. We are gonna be in store for a ton of fun for a while.

I hope the best for Rizin. I went to an event a couple years ago and had a horrible time.

I know there's a culture difference and all but the yakuza guy next to me was so out of control it was insane. The staff just stayed by us and watched it happen.

Plus the event was like 8 hours
can you elaborate on the yakuza guy being out ot control?

I wonder if either of them will Pre-book some of the stadia for a bit of tactical blocking.

"I'm sorry Chatri san. There is no vacancy for this year".

It sure was looking like that might have been the outcome, and within the last year. But ONE seems to stand by their commitment to MMA, even though they're not really committed to MMA, in reality.

What I'm interested in, is the shaping up of the ONE event in Japan, later this year. If the Japanese orgs are going to unite against them, which I presume is already being discussed, ONE is going to need star power for that card. If I'm a betting man, and I'm known to be, ONE is going to look for a degree of support. They act like they're the UFC of Asia and won't co-promote with other orgs, but they might have an ally in Glory, who has several well known names to the Japanese fan on their roster, and, until relatively recently, were based in Singapore, themselves.

Wouldn't that make things a little interesting? What else is interesting to consider, is that the Japanese orgs will probably counter the ONE show with a show of their own, and you know that Japan will do it up to compete with the foreign product. We are gonna be in store for a ton of fun for a while.
When is ONE going back to Japan? That's surprising.

The translation is off. What Saki said was "...if One wants to go to war, they need to get stronger before they attack. Rizin will not lose."
That makes more sense, coming from him. Mainly concerned with the part about ONE going back, though.

Oh seems like some big changes are gonna happen and we might even see Japan being more involved with MMA/Kickboxing. If Rize and K-1 can produce the better product on a constant basis, I would be okay with ONE going down and RWS and whoever else taking over the Muay Thai global market.

I just read that RISE and Glory have combined their rosters, their rankings, and will hold tourneys together, as of a few weeks ago? Crazy. There's a lot going on in Japan right now. ONE is going to have a tough battle.

I just read that RISE and Glory have combined their rosters, their rankings, and will hold tourneys together, as of a few weeks ago? Crazy. There's a lot going on in Japan right now. ONE is going to have a tough battle.
I think ONE doesn't care much about their kickboxing. Seems like they just have one so they can have more title fights on their cards and create "two sport" athletes.

Since raiding Glory's lw division they haven't really done much with it. I feel like after that statement of calling Superlek the best KB when they have Chingiz and in general just not caring much about Takeru, it seems like KB is just a step child.

They can't break into any of the KB markets (China, Japan, Western Europe) and they're already using their resources on MT so they can't really grow KB anywhere else. Plus their investors don't give a shit about KB.

They probably care more about their grappling champs sadly.

I think ONE doesn't care much about their kickboxing. Seems like they just have one so they can have more title fights on their cards and create "two sport" athletes.

Since raiding Glory's lw division they haven't really done much with it. I feel like after that statement of calling Superlek the best KB when they have Chingiz and in general just not caring much about Takeru, it seems like KB is just a step child.

They can't break into any of the KB markets (China, Japan, Western Europe) and they're already using their resources on MT so they can't really grow KB anywhere else. Plus their investors don't give a shit about KB.

They probably care more about their grappling champs sadly.
That's an interesting detail, them bringing in stars from one sport and trying to push them as two sport champs. Been hearing some of the grapplers talking about it.

Takeru was probably a strategic signing, I imagine he won't fight outside of Japan. That's all they seem to do with name fighters from the combat sports people are already accustomed to watching live. The UFC fighters they've signed (save Mighty Mouse), the renowned kickboxers, they just sign them to have them on their roster, and not do much with them, use them strategically, while they push the MT fighters and the grapplers and Evolve guys.

Back