Manny Pacquiao Hints at Floyd Mayweather Rematch Under Rizin Banner

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
20140403093315_1DX_6250.JPG

The highest selling bout in combat sports history could be in line for a rematch in 2024 under the Rizin Fighting Federation banner.

Manny Pacquiao was in attendance for Rizin 45 on New Year’s Eve at the Saitama Super Arena in Japan. “Pacman” was invited to the ring by Rizin CEO Nobuyuki Sakakibara, who asked if he would fight fellow boxing legend Floyd Mayweather.

“Thank you so much for inviting me here again,” Pacquiao said. “I’m sorry for the last time, we [were] meant to fight last year as Mr. Sakakibara explained. Next year I hope to see you here in Japan for a big fight against ... Floyd Mayweather! I thought you wouldn’t want me to [announce] that. But I am excited for that.”

The two former world champions clashed for the first time in 2015 in what would become the highest-selling event in the history of combat sports. However, the fight failed to live up to its hype, with Pacquiao suffering a one-sided decision loss, which he later attributed to a shoulder injury.

I'm anxious to see how this plays out, bc Sakakibara is gonna try to spin this, somehow, if it actually happens. Ultimately, I expect Floyd won't budge, and this will be a boxing rules match, but Sakakibara tried to swing the Tenshin fight into a KB match, I bet he wants this fight to be KB or MMA. I think it would be more compelling...

Edit: would Floyd honestly agree to rematching Pac in boxing, the highest selling fight ever, as a 3 round exhibition on a RIZIN card? Doubtful, too much money involved, and he definitely wouldn't co-promote a legit boxing match with them, unless he has to bc Yakuza. He did say he wants to fight in Japan, and he did say against Pacquiao. That was several years ago now. He's worked with RIZIN more than once, it is the biggest promotion in Japan, and they're peddling MMA and KB. Curious situation.

Last edited:
The rematch no one asked for, what’s next we gonna do Khabib vs Conor 2 next

What completely stupid move by Rizin, are they even a serious mma organization at this point it's like they don't really care about the weight classes just publicity stunts. They have not crowned a HW champ yet wtf and literally just recycle the same BW's, LW's for every event just ridiculous ever since covid this organization have been steadily getting worse and now putting on what is basically gonna be a fake boxing match just to have the celebrity status of Mayweather is so pathetic and desperate.

I don't get these Japanese people going crazy enough for this to make it worth Rizin's wild and if they do, why?

Sak will spend more money putting this together than he probably paid the whole Rizin roster for the year and that is pretty sad for a match that means zero in spectrum of what Rizin does. I'm not even sure they can draw enough attention to it not to lose money.

Before anything happens, I'll say this.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. 2-0 Pacquiao.

Back