Manny Pacquiao Hints at Floyd Mayweather Rematch Under Rizin Banner

adds international prestige for Rizin, everyone world wide knows pacman and mayweather. this brings in way more eyeballs internationally than any other homegrown rizin event. and they didnt just hint at it, they basically said its happening in 2024. we'll see. pacman was promised a rizin bout last year, never came through. he also has an exhibition against buakaw scheduled first. so this either happens late 2024, or not at all. hope they make it interesting and do it in MMA gloves. we'll see, mayweather has "fought" twice now under rizin, don't think it is out of the question.

adds international prestige for Rizin, everyone world wide knows pacman and mayweather. this brings in way more eyeballs internationally than any other homegrown rizin event. and they didnt just hint at it, they basically said its happening in 2024. we'll see. pacman was promised a rizin bout last year, never came through. he also has an exhibition against buakaw scheduled first. so this either happens late 2024, or not at all. hope they make it interesting and do it in MMA gloves. we'll see, mayweather has "fought" twice now under rizin, don't think it is out of the question.
No one will care at all though and the money could have been spent much more wisely, Rizin used to be a serious organization that produced to champions in major organizations and now they fill their cards with lighter weight fighters that no one really knows or cares about and fake boxing matches, I don't think that's adding any prestige.

No one will care at all though and the money could have been spent much more wisely, Rizin used to be a serious organization that produced to champions in major organizations and now they fill their cards with lighter weight fighters that no one really knows or cares about and fake boxing matches, I don't think that's adding any prestige.
used to? you sound like you don't know what's going on brotha. Jiri, Manel, Horiguchi all have done well in other orgs, championship levels. lots of people know their lighter weight fighters, myself included. their champions would still be competitive in other orgs. no one knows/cares but here we are discussing it. pacman vs mayweather will get people talking 100%. are you on the socials? people are talking, lots of them. it may not add prestige, but thats no ones argument. its adding eyeballs, which is what is intended to do. you sound like you're just making up points, without having watched any rizin, or know the game enough.

used to? you sound like you don't know what's going on brotha. Jiri, Manel, Horiguchi all have done well in other orgs, championship levels. lots of people know their lighter weight fighters, myself included. their champions would still be competitive in other orgs. no one knows/cares but here we are discussing it. pacman vs mayweather will get people talking 100%. are you on the socials? people are talking, lots of them. it may not add prestige, but thats no ones argument. its adding eyeballs, which is what is intended to do. you sound like you're just making up points, without having watched any rizin, or know the game enough.
I don't think he undwrstands that this is how RIZIN stays in business. They keep asking Floyd back for a reason, bc they're making investment money off of his name. To a potential investor, on the fence about putting money into a product, names like Mayweather and Pacquiao are recognizable ones, that show credibility. If you can get the names of the fighters who drew the biggest numbers of all time, and at premium, since they won't have to pay pro boxing purses for a 3 round exhibition, and the fact that the East views exhibitions as significant fights that simply don't go on win/loss records, this fight will do numbers, and everybody "caring" is relative. East Asia will care, which is who they're selling to. If the West doesn't care, it doesn't matter, bc we aren't on their radar.

I don't think he undwrstands that this is how RIZIN stays in business. They keep asking Floyd back for a reason, bc they're making investment money off of his name. To a potential investor, on the fence about putting money into a product, names like Mayweather and Pacquiao are recognizable ones, that show credibility. If you can get the names of the fighters who drew the biggest numbers of all time, and at premium, since they won't have to pay pro boxing purses for a 3 round exhibition, and the fact that the East views exhibitions as significant fights that simply don't go on win/loss records, this fight will do numbers, and everybody "caring" is relative. East Asia will care, which is who they're selling to. If the West doesn't care, it doesn't matter, bc we aren't on their radar.
100% i agree. the japanese will undoubtedly tune in and watch, and that extra international eyeballs that this gains too is just extra. the amount of people talking about this on the soshuls is big. how can you not watch? agreed, the west doesn't have to "care" but they're going to watch, talk about it, and draw interest. mayweather even talking about tenshin gained tenshin more fans and some interest IMO. this helps Rizin, helps japan, prolongs Rizins relevancy and is just a good move overall. can't wait for 2024 RIZIN moves. theyre moving in the right direction after a somewhat shaky sort of start. plenty of homegrown fighters drawing in fans, and this extra international prestige is a good move for them. glad they can move on from the stars of previous MMA eras and can hold their own.

100% i agree. the japanese will undoubtedly tune in and watch, and that extra international eyeballs that this gains too is just extra. the amount of people talking about this on the soshuls is big. how can you not watch? agreed, the west doesn't have to "care" but they're going to watch, talk about it, and draw interest. mayweather even talking about tenshin gained tenshin more fans and some interest IMO. this helps Rizin, helps japan, prolongs Rizins relevancy and is just a good move overall. can't wait for 2024 RIZIN moves. theyre moving in the right direction after a somewhat shaky sort of start. plenty of homegrown fighters drawing in fans, and this extra international prestige is a good move for them. glad they can move on from the stars of previous MMA eras and can hold their own.
That's another detail, virtual engagement matters when it comes to money. Just throwing one of those names out there is getting RIZIN way more hits than usual, factor in both names and that's a lot of hits on RIZIN shit. Likely they can use those numbers towards investment money, also.

Oh I understand it but still think it's lame af, I was speaking with someone about how the Japanese the new generation are into gimmicky garbage instead of watching high level mma. Another poster on here mentioned how Rizin produced some great fighters however it was when they were actually putting on great cards and giving attention to all the weight classes instead of focusing on Mayweather and the lighter weight classes along with rotating the same fighters card after card.

Oh I understand it but still think it's lame af, I was speaking with someone about how the Japanese the new generation are into gimmicky garbage instead of watching high level mma. Another poster on here mentioned how Rizin produced some great fighters however it was when they were actually putting on great cards and giving attention to all the weight classes instead of focusing on Mayweather and the lighter weight classes along with rotating the same fighters card after card.
I understand the gripes. Trust the process, Sak is probably the best promoter the sport has seen, at least top 2. What he is focused on right now is sustainability, and he's gonna have to use fighters his immediate fanbase cares about. When they've reached a specific level of sustainability, watch them branch out. I'm thinking the Azerbaijan card was the first glimpse of that. Be patient.

I understand the gripes. Trust the process, Sak is probably the best promoter the sport has seen, at least top 2. What he is focused on right now is sustainability, and he's gonna have to use fighters his immediate fanbase cares about. When they've reached a specific level of sustainability, watch them branch out. I'm thinking the Azerbaijan card was the first glimpse of that. Be patient.
I'll still support them am looking forward to their cards in 2024 and even know a lot of the Japanese fighters in particular Horie when he beat Carlyle so looking forward to watching him. I hope you're right about them branching out, I like the idea of PFL working with them.

Matchup_01.gif

Hasn't this been teased for years? My memory is not so good.

Hasn't this been teased for years? My memory is not so good.
Not necessarily with RIZIN, but around 2018, before he fought against Tenshin, and what likely precipitated any of this at all, was Floyd saying in an interview that he wanted to fight in Tokyo, to expand his brand into Asia, and the opponent he wanted was Pacquiao. A few months later they announced Floyd/Tenshin in RIZIN. I'm thinking someone at RIZIN, or a dick swining yakuza with ties to them, caught wind of Floyd wanting to fight in Tokyo and reached out, and it's gone on from there.

Not necessarily with RIZIN, but around 2018, before he fought against Tenshin, and what likely precipitated any of this at all, was Floyd saying in an interview that he wanted to fight in Tokyo, to expand his brand into Asia, and the opponent he wanted was Pacquiao. A few months later they announced Floyd/Tenshin in RIZIN. I'm thinking someone at RIZIN, or a dick swining yakuza with ties to them, caught wind of Floyd wanting to fight in Tokyo and reached out, and it's gone on from there.

Ah ha. I do remember the fight with tenshin (so much dramatic slipping)... but wasn't sure if Pacman made a few appearances at Rizin events before this one. I have a vague memory of this happening before and then nothing happened from it.

Ah ha. I do remember the fight with tenshin (so much dramatic slipping)... but wasn't sure if Pacman made a few appearances at Rizin events before this one. I have a vague memory of this happening before and then nothing happened from it.
Pacquiao  has been at RIZIN before. I believe he was in the crowd when Floyd fought Asakura. He has announced in the ring, previously, that he's signed to fight with the promotion. All of the Floyd/Pacquiao talk through RIZIN, though, is new. But we all know that it was the end game.

Floydd hasnt even declined. Super gifted athlete.

Pacquiao  has been at RIZIN before. I believe he was in the crowd when Floyd fought Asakura. He has announced in the ring, previously, that he's signed to fight with the promotion. All of the Floyd/Pacquiao talk through RIZIN, though, is new. But we all know that it was the end game.

Thank you for confirming I'm not totally senile.

I don't know how I feel about this matchup now. 10 years ago, sure.

Thank you for confirming I'm not totally senile.

I don't know how I feel about this matchup now. 10 years ago, sure.
Yeah, it isn't what it would have been. Still a degree of intrigue, based on the names, but, said and done, two old guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back