Rickson vs Sakuraba

Rickson would submit Sakuraba just like Kimo did. Sakuraba beat undersized or past prime Gracies and even though Rickson was already part of the latter, he's a much better athlete than the Yakuza golden boy. He would have wrapped Saku up probably by choke.

This is one of the first great debates I remember lurking on sherdog in 2001 always reading about.... And I love it still pops up now and then.
Personally I think Rickson would have beat Sakuraba, shit Royce went 90 mins with him. Guy Metzger should have beat Sak before that.
But I have no problem with people saying Sak would have won. The most legendary fight to this day, we never got to see

Im sorry to derail the thread, but why the fuck Rickson and Royce dont follow each other at instagram?
They seem to have a beef with each other for whatever reason.

Royler seems to be in good terms with them both though

Why are we talking about 2 fighters who would get owned by Khabib?

Sakuraba.

I think Rickson didn't want any of Sakuraba.

I suppose his personal loss or whatever might have had impact in ONE fight falling through, but if he wanted to, he could have, and there were YEARS that they could have fought, and it most definitely didn't look like it was the money issue either.

My take on this is, if Rickson wanted this fight, he would have, outside that small window of time where he lost someone that his fans point to as a reason why he didn't. And there were many reasons, all the defeats, why Rickson would have wanted to fight Sakuraba, but he didn't.

I believe Rickson ducked Sakuraba, and I don't think Rickson would have been able to take Saku down and Rickson had no striking so.

Saku!

Screen-Shot-2017-06-25-at-7.36.04-PM.png

This

Rickson could have had this fight anytime he wanted. He didn’t want it. He knew how bad a loss to The Gracie Hunter would stain his ego and the Gracie name. His grief only claims a very small window in the large time frame this fight could’ve/should’ve taken place.

and so the debate goes on.

almost every grappler who's rolled with Rickson says he's the best, and that Rickson dominated easily and handily.

the exception that proves the rule (other than the judo contest where he lost due to a successful toss) seems to be Mark Schultz, who - reading between the lines of various versions over the years - it sounds like got a takedown and a stalemate occurred for the next 30 minutes. not unlike Royce v Ken II, but with less strikes. but even Mark acknowledged that Rickson was sick.

all that being said, by 2000 Gracie's weren't the only ones who understood Gracie JJ anymore. and NHB had advanced a lot in the last decade. his Pride wins in the late 90's simply didn't prove much. they proved something, but not much.

so who knows.

Mark Schultz and Rickson were just rolling, there were no strikes.

They actually became friends after that and did some training.

Let's say it's prime Rickson. He's way more athletic and skilled than those who fell to Saku. Top game victory, with some tricky moments as Saku could improvise anything and make it work.

Rickson was far superior to Royce so I really don't think Saku would have owned him like the rest of the Gracies

Saku was probably a better athlete than Royce but Rickson was probably a better athlete than Saku even with the 11 year age gap, although I'd have to give Saku the conditioning edge

Would have been very very interesting. I think a lot would depend on the parameters of the fight. Like if it was no time limit or time limit, whether Rickson wore the gi or not etc.

I think in the end Saku gets him because even Rickson shared the greatest weakness of the Gracies: Pride. They were forever too proud to think anyone could conquer their systems and instead of studying what Saku was doing and working to counter it, they just simply thought they could out BJJ him where their other family members had failed. If Rickson approached it intelligently and strategically I think he would win but I don't think he would have, I think he would have just gone out in the gi, with no time limit and fought, and in the end Saku would exhaust him

You could argue though in some respects Royce was actually better suited to fighting Sakuraba, he was used to being the smaller man and not being able to control his opponent, fighting off of his back until he had an opening.

Rickson tended to be much more a positional fighter and if he couldn't outwrestle Sakuraba I could see him actually being in more trouble.

Sakuraba would have won handily.

Saku all the way.

There's a reason Rickson didn't accept a shitload of money to fight Saku.

Sakuraba. Rickson priced himself out of that fight for a reason.

Much respect to the other Gracie’s who steppped up and fought the best.

Im sorry to derail the thread, but why the fuck Rickson and Royce dont follow each other at instagram?
They seem to have a beef with each other for whatever reason.

Royler seems to be in good terms with them both though
the brothers do. Rorion rickson don't speak
Alot have beef
jealous imo

his son died at time

Fair enough.

Rickson fought like a boxing nun puppet but stuck his neck out like a giraffe.

Easy fight for sakuraba.

Why prove you’re the best when you can just say your the best.
And say your 500-0

But you watch him fight. And it’s like wait a minute! Who are you fighting.

Nagai? Yoji anjo. They were never the best guys.
Rickson foughtt who he fought for a reason.

Why take a worthy opponent when you can find a fake fighter in takada and that’s good enough.

Many guys from that era would have butchered him and wanted him for years.

Back