Rickson Gracie vs Hayward Nishioka (vintage footage)

SBJ

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
oldie but goodie..

funny there is a part where they rorion tells rickson that the judo guy (dont know who is the one talking) thinks that the guy at 70 kilos is better on the stand up and on the ground, Rickson comes out and says, I trin with the whole judo team from brazil, all different weights, and no one beats me (or something like that)...

by the way, who was hayward nishioka? was he a knonw guy back in the days?

funny there is a part where they rorion tells rickson that the judo guy (dont know who is the one talking) thinks that the guy at 70 kilos is better on the stand up and on the ground, Rickson comes out and says, I trin with the whole judo team from brazil, all different weights, and no one beats me (or something like that)...

by the way, who was hayward nishioka? was he a knonw guy back in the days?

Back in the day? He's still known...he's in LA I believe

Dude, he was the coach for the national team.

Is Rickson really throwing him or is Nishioka letting him do it? Pretty nuts if he's actually throwing the guy

Would love to know more about the context of what happened here. Was Rickson and his brothers being sincere? What was the point of this? We're they being disrespectful to Hayward?

Would love to know more about the context of what happened here. Was Rickson and his brothers being sincere? What was the point of this? We're they being disrespectful to Hayward?

They were invited and the host thought they were there to train and learn judo....

But rorion cleverly turn into the good old Gracie jiu jitsu is better vs the world.

Just watched the whole thing again. Holy shit gracies loved to midget wrestling back then... The rickson match though.. He did quite well standing, got a single a double and got thrown only 2 times. On the mat he murked the judo instructor.

Just watched the whole thing again. Holy shit gracies loved to midget wrestling back then... The rickson match though.. He did quite well standing, got a single a double and got thrown only 2 times. On the mat he murked the judo instructor.

Some things to know about Judo practices... normally you do not worry too much about singles or doubles, and you do not do matwork following a throw. The reason is that leg grabs are easy to turn out of and won't get a score by Judo rules, so few people bother. You don't do matwork because it breaks up the standing practice and other people can fall on you.

Unless this was an agreed match, Hayward wasn't trying too hard about those moves. Not saying he could have stopped Rickson on the ground of course.

Some things to know about Judo practices... normally you do not worry too much about singles or doubles, and you do not do matwork following a throw. The reason is that leg grabs are easy to turn out of and won't get a score by Judo rules, so few people bother. You don't do matwork because it breaks up the standing practice and other people can fall on you.

Unless this was an agreed match, Hayward wasn't trying too hard about those moves. Not saying he could have stopped Rickson on the ground of course.

This was back kn the 80s, even back then leg attacks were not comun? Why wouldn't they score?in the match, rickson stopped several times, but a couple were followed and finished, even under judo rules, those follow ups were going to be legal... There was no stalling td to arm bar...

Did you forget that Hayward was 50 freaking years old and caught completely off guard? This is an example of Gracie underhandness and lack of respect that I just can't stand.

Rickson was definitely better on the mat than Nishioka, but everything I've heard about this encounter suggests the Gracies pulled a (fairly typical for them) bait and switch, setting it up as an opportunity to train and learn together than then filming Rickson making himself look good.

This was back kn the 80s, even back then leg attacks were not comun? Why wouldn't they score?in the match, rickson stopped several times, but a couple were followed and finished, even under judo rules, those follow ups were going to be legal... There was no stalling td to arm bar...

No, they were not popular even then. Some Russian and eastern Euro stylist used them to success but still wasn't the main focus. The scoring system and difficult of hitting this on anyone really good made them not very favorable.

No, they were not popular even then. Some Russian and eastern Euro stylist used them to success but still wasn't the main focus. The scoring system and difficult of hitting this on anyone really good made them not very favorable.

Ok tx

They were invited and the host thought they were there to train and learn judo....

But rorion cleverly turn into the good old Gracie jiu jitsu is better vs the world.

Has Hayward ever commented publicly on this event? I would be curious to know his thoughts nowadays. Gracie JJ now seems to brand itself more professionly with respect and for the kids etc etc, do they try to distance themselves from stunts like this that certainly dont make them look verygood?

Has Hayward ever commented publicly on this event? I would be curious to know his thoughts nowadays. Gracie JJ now seems to brand itself more professionly with respect and for the kids etc etc, do they try to distance themselves from stunts like this that certainly dont make them look verygood?

They've built their name around stuff like this, why would they shy away from it?

I think Gracie JJ brands itself now, like always, as being so good that everything else is on a different plane. Every loss is branded a moral victory, every criticism is dismissed as the spiritual ignorance of its critics.

They've built their name around stuff like this, why would they shy away from it?

I dunno. Seems like most people and businesses would not want people to see their deceitful and unethical practices. Ive heard in Brazil a lot of people don't like the Gracie's for that reason.

Back