Rewatching Armageddon

I thought I was the only one....

I might do a "favorite disaster movie" poll in the next few days and see what happens. I expect Twister would at least be Top 3, if not win the whole thing.

It definitely gets my vote.

I might do a "favorite disaster movie" poll in the next few days and see what happens. I expect Twister would at least be Top 3, if not win the whole thing.

It definitely gets my vote.
Mine also. Armageddon would probably be second for me. Third would be the Day After Tomorrow.

Mine also. Armageddon would probably be second for me. Third would be the Day After Tomorrow.

I'd probably have to go:

1. Twister
2. Dante's Peak
3. Deep Impact

But I also like Day After Tomorrow and a few others. It's a fun genre.

I'd probably have to go:

1. Twister
2. Dante's Peak
3. Deep Impact

But I also like Day After Tomorrow and a few others. It's a fun genre.
It is. I like most of the corny "save the earth" movies. I watched GeoStorm a couple of weeks ago. Not a great movie by any stretch but I'm drawn to that type of movie.

It is. I like most of the corny "save the earth" movies. I watched GeoStorm a couple of weeks ago. Not a great movie by any stretch but I'm drawn to that type of movie.

I thought GeoStorm was at least better than a lot of people were saying. I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. Think I gave it a 6.5.

There are more entries that I like than ones that I dislike. But there are a few that I dislike. 2012 and The Core are both on my shit list.

I thought GeoStorm was at least better than a lot of people were saying. I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. Think I gave it a 6.5.

There are more entries that I like than ones that I dislike. But there are a few that I dislike. 2012 and The Core are both on my shit list.
I liked the core...it was OK. I like Volcano. Not a fan of 2012.

Feel the need to watch Volcano again soon.

I swear there are a handful of movies I could watch on a loop. Top Gun, a couple disaster movies, a couple of gangster/mafia movies, and I would be set.

First time I've seen it in 15 years or more.

About 20 minutes in so far. Initial observations:

- Damn, everyone is so young. Affleck was just a boy at this point. And Liv Tyler was but a mere lass.

- It very much feels like a Michael Bay film. Pre-Transformers Michael Bay was a special thing, I think.

- Ah yes, those halcyon days before I knew that Bruce Willis was a real-life asshole.

- Really cool FX scene near the beginning when the space shuttle gets destroyed.

Will add more as I go.

Anyone else have thoughts on Armageddon?

I hate that the movie is nothing but 20sec cut scenes throughout the movie .

By the way I didn’t like Armageddon back in 98 and haven’t watched it all through since.

It just seemed long, bloated and dull to me. I’d give it another shot now for sure, but I remember preferring Deep Impact of the two back when I saw them.

Deep impact bored me to death.

Love the movie. Totally fun. So many interesting characters. Lots of laughs.

Like a pussy, bitch or teh gay, I teared up at the end
I got the feels so hard when everyone is celebrating with their loved ones after they land then Chick is just sort of wandering around alone and his estranged son comes running to him

This movie is just so damn cheesy, I could never get into it.

I got the feels so hard when everyone is celebrating with their loved ones after they land then Chick is just sort of wandering around alone and his estranged son comes running to him

At the time I felt very low that no one could love me or do something like that for me so I related my own pain which the sacrifice Harry made which got worse when he was able to tell his daughter one last time that he loved her but wasn't coming back.

At the time I felt very low that no one could love me or do something like that for me so I related my own pain which the sacrifice Harry made which got worse when he was able to tell his daughter one last time that he loved her but wasn't coming back.
I always liked the little scene where she overhears Billy Bob Thornton saying someone is gonna have to stay behind and she winces because she just knows that her dad is going to do it

one of the worst movies of all time. shame on op for even bringing this up. whats next, gigli?

I'e always liked Armageddon and deep impact. a lot of action movies from the late '90s seem to put me in a good mood.the only thing I didn't like about armageddon was that stupid song aerosmith made for its soundtrack. Elijah wood seemed to be on a roll in the late 90's with deep impact and then the faculty.

One of those "So ridiculous, but so entertaining" movies. Much of its endearment is probably due to the cast. At the time people like Owen Wilison, Michael Clarke Duncan, etc hadnt reached their celebrity status, but in hindsight you can see how likable they are. I mean, Peter Stormare as the russian cosmonaut with cabin fever? NOW you see how awesome that is. Personally, I love me some Fichtner. Without the connection to the cast of characters, I doubt it would be even remotely as entertaining. When FIchtner says "Permissionn to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man Ive ever, met?", chills. Same with Will Pattons son being told who his father was. You put actors that dont have that same positive appeal and these lines and instances dont have the same weight and would even be corny as hell, even though it's an incredibly ridiculous movie.

Back