Rewatching Armageddon

I love Armageddon.

Takes me back to a great time in my life. I think I was 18 or so when it came out.

Coulda done without the animal cracker scene, but overall it was a fun time.

"What are you doing with a gun in space?"

Lots of good quotes from that flick.

First time I've seen it in 15 years or more.

About 20 minutes in so far. Initial observations:

- Damn, everyone is so young. Affleck was just a boy at this point. And Liv Tyler was but a mere lass.

- It very much feels like a Michael Bay film. Pre-Transformers Michael Bay was a special thing, I think.

- Ah yes, those halcyon days before I knew that Bruce Willis was a real-life asshole.

- Really cool FX scene near the beginning when the space shuttle gets destroyed.

Will add more as I go.

Anyone else have thoughts on Armageddon?

Ugh...Sooooo emo. Couldn't stand watching the overacted piece of garbage.

Deep Impact felt like a more human story.

Armageddon had some fun supporting characters and what not but I think Deep Impact was definitely more grounded, as you said.

I hate to say this because I think Bruuuce is a boss but when his character made the sacrifice play, it didn’t resonate with me at all. Meanwhile when Eldard and DuVall and co. have to do something similar, it made an impact on me.

The scene where Tea Leoni and Maximillian Schell reconcile before facing their deaths together in the face of a monster tidal wave resonated with me as well.

Deep Impact certainly isn’t a great movie either but I feel it was a more well done, interesting film.

Perhaps the thing that struck me the most about Deep Impact is that it's a disaster film with suspiciously little disaster. It's only about the last 10 minutes or so that you actually get the disaster carnage that the movie advertised.

But I did enjoy it nonetheless. It took itself surprisingly seriously but pulled it off for the most part by crafting an interesting story and anchoring that story with good performances.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has it's faults but it is highly entertaining. I always end up watching it when it's on tv
This is how I feel as well. If I'm not feeling like something heavy like The Pianist or Schindler's List, not looking for constant action like John Wick, and my wife isn't trying to force feed me some Nicholas Sparks horseshit, this movie is the right niche. I don't have to think. I just sit back and enjoy it for what it is.

I really have to wonder just what exactly would've happened with Michael Bay if he had never gotten hooked up with the Transformers franchise.

What would he have given us? More fun movies like this and The Rock and Pain and Gain?

Fuck you, Autobots!

Is pain and gain considered one of his good ones? I enjoyed transformers 1 a bit more than that movie.

After that the transformers franchise went to shit. But put that aside and michael bay has made some really good movies, the hates he gets is a little unwarranted.

The rock is a really good movie, armageddon and bad boys 1, 2 are always a fun watch.

I love Armageddon.

Takes me back to a great time in my life. I think I was 18 or so when it came out.

Coulda done without the animal cracker scene, but overall it was a fun time.

"What are you doing with a gun in space?"

Lots of good quotes from that flick.

One of the movies you can watch multiple times and still be entertained.

Is pain and gain considered one of his good ones? I enjoyed transformers 1 a bit more than that movie.

After that the transformers franchise went to shit. But put that aside and michael bay has made some really good movies, the hates he gets is a little unwarranted.

The rock is a really good movie, armageddon and bad boys 1, 2 are always a fun watch.

I consider The Rock, Pain and Gain and 13 Hours to be his best films. Those are the top tier Bay films, in my opinion. Everything else exists somewhere below these three.

Like Independence Day it's really crap but strangely somewhat enjoyable at the same time.

Like Independence Day it's really crap but strangely somewhat enjoyable at the same time.

Independence Day is an awesome movie, and not just on a guilty pleasure level. Nothing crap about it.

I agree that Armageddon was long as fuck but it helped get us to like the characters

If you didn't have the build up with Liv and Bruce than you wouldn't have cared as much when Bruce sacrifices himself

I remember really enjoying it but its been some years since I have seen it

I agree that Armageddon was long as fuck but it helped get us to like the characters

If you didn't have the build up with Liv and Bruce than you wouldn't have cared as much when Bruce sacrifices himself

I remember really enjoying it but its been some years since I have seen it

Like I side earlier, it's not the first hour that I have a problem with. It's really that they spend way too much time on the asteroid.

Back