Rewatching Armageddon

The acting is this film's saving grace. Affleck was the only one who was unlikeable

I'm starting to wonder why this film is so fucking long. 2 1/2 hours? Is that necessary?

It’s a Michael Bay movie. They’re all long. Bad Boys II is the longest movie I’ve ever seen.

The thing is, it feels like not a lot is actually happening. It's looking like this is going to be a movie that starts strong but then fizzles out.

The first hour or so is pretty fun, but once they're in space the movie starts to fall apart.

The thing is, it feels like not a lot is actually happening. It's looking like this is going to be a movie that starts strong but then fizzles out.

The first hour or so is pretty fun, but once they're in space the movie starts to fall apart.

I’m sure lots can be taken out of his movies. I just checked to make sure I wasn’t exaggerating and sure enough, the shortest movie he’s ever made was Bad Boys 1 coming in at an even 2 hours. All five Transformers movies are nearly 2 1/2 hours long each, some even longer. Pearl Harbor was over 3 hours.

I’m sure lots can be taken out of his movies. I just checked to make sure I wasn’t exaggerating and sure enough, the shortest movie he’s ever made was Bad Boys 1 coming in at an even 2 hours. All five Transformers movies are nearly 2 1/2 hours long each, some even longer. Pearl Harbor was over 3 hours.

His movies are long but I don't think that's always bad. I won't complain about the length of The Rock or Pain & Gain or 13 Hours (his three best, in my opinion).

But in this case I feel like someone should reined him in and told him this shit is too long.

His movies are long but I don't think that's always bad. I won't complain about the length of The Rock or Pain & Gain or 13 Hours (his three best, in my opinion).

But in this case I feel like someone should reined him in and told him this shit is too long.

That’s how I felt about Bad Boys II. Not as long as a LOTR movie, but felt like I was watching it for longer than it would take to bing the LOTR trilogy, extended edition.

That’s how I felt about Bad Boys II. Not as long as a LOTR movie, but felt like I was watching it for longer than it would take to bing the LOTR trilogy, extended edition.

I tried to watch that one a few years ago. I specifically remember not finishing it. Pretty sure that's the only Michael Bay movie that I just straight tapped out on.

Well, that's over.

Like I said a few posts ago, it starts out pretty strongly but once they're actually on the asteroid the movie kind of goes to shit. It's got some cool visuals and effects, a great cast, and a solid premise but it just seems to lose its way. It's not a top tier Bay film.

I officially prefer the more grounded Deep Impact, a film I recently revisited and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

The acting is this film's saving grace. Affleck was the only one who was unlikeable

It's actually a fantastic cast. Michael Bay usually ends up with very good character actors in his supporting roles, despite his films' other (numerous) flaws.

I hated it.
The worst thing you could do is break the thing up into smaller chunks.

the president's speech is legit amazing. like yea it's super corny, but it's delivered so well that it's actually powerful. which is odd in a movie that is pretty much ridiculous and knows it's ridiculous.

So here's a question. . .

In the movie they swear everyone to secrecy because they don't want to cause an international panic. But then they announce to the world what is going on right before the guys launch.

If they're really worried about a panic, would they even do that? Or would they just make it a secret mission all the way through?

Because Paris got wiped off the map by first stage debris, the world obviously had some questions as to what was going on

Also, the movie has one of my favorite comedic lines.

Karl: Sir I'm a retired Navy, I know a lot about classified. but one more thing, the person who finds her gets to name her right?
Dan Truman: Yes, that's right.
Karl: I want to name her Dottie after my wife, she's a vicious life sucking bitch from which there is no escape.

Armageddon is one of my top movie guilty pleasures. I love it. I know it's not great or anything, but there's just something about it that I really enjoy.

The best thing about Armageddon is Ben Affleck's DVD commentary

You mean William Fichtner?

Nah, not always. Contact and Equilibrium come to mind. In Contact he was a very gentle soul.

Great character actor. He’s comedically creepy in the late 90s classic Go.

By the way I didn’t like Armageddon back in 98 and haven’t watched it all through since.

It just seemed long, bloated and dull to me. I’d give it another shot now for sure, but I remember preferring Deep Impact of the two back when I saw them.

It was on tv a few days ago so I watched it. Still enjoyed.

Well, that's over.

Like I said a few posts ago, it starts out pretty strongly but once they're actually on the asteroid the movie kind of goes to shit. It's got some cool visuals and effects, a great cast, and a solid premise but it just seems to lose its way. It's not a top tier Bay film.

I officially prefer the more grounded Deep Impact, a film I recently revisited and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Deep Impact felt like a more human story.

Armageddon had some fun supporting characters and what not but I think Deep Impact was definitely more grounded, as you said.

I hate to say this because I think Bruuuce is a boss but when his character made the sacrifice play, it didn’t resonate with me at all. Meanwhile when Eldard and DuVall and co. have to do something similar, it made an impact on me.

The scene where Tea Leoni and Maximillian Schell reconcile before facing their deaths together in the face of a monster tidal wave resonated with me as well.

Deep Impact certainly isn’t a great movie either but I feel it was a more well done, interesting film.

Crap movie. Popcorn fodder. Insults intelligence on every level. But it’s fun.

Back