Reselling used college textbooks

I purchased all new books and kept all of them from undergrad. A lot of people I went to school with bought used books and sold them back as soon as the year was over. I had a different motivation, I was there to learn and felt like it is was part of a lifetime of learning. I kept the books as a reference for the base tools the undergrad program was there to provide.

of course I didn't anticipate that all of the world's knowledge would be available on my phone at anytime, anywhere. And that's ironic because my forward thinking school/program gave everyone email and internet access when there were less than 25,000 people globally on the internet.

Hold up.... There's a good kind of rape?

I purchased all new books and kept all of them from undergrad. A lot of people I went to school with bought used books and sold them back as soon as the year was over. I had a different motivation, I was there to learn and felt like it is was part of a lifetime of learning. I kept the books as a reference for the base tools the undergrad program was there to provide.

of course I didn't anticipate that all of the world's knowledge would be available on my phone at anytime, anywhere. And that's ironic because my forward thinking school/program gave everyone email and internet access when there were less than 25,000 people globally on the internet.
I kept the ones worth keeping. No point in lying to yourself if you just keep books that are going to collect dust on a shelf (though I admit I still do). I think that appeals a bit to the effete vanity of the false library Gatsby didn't keep.

Which is to say that I sold every single Sociology book from my 101 intro class exploring what that discipline was about.

I kept the ones worth keeping. No point in lying to yourself if you just keep books that are going to collect dust on a shelf (though I admit I still do). I think that appeals a bit to the effete vanity of the false library Gatsby didn't keep.

Which is to say that I sold every single Sociology book from my 101 intro class exploring what that discipline was about.

I think I've referred back to just about every text book I have from ugrad. My electromagnetics text has been opened several times in the last year. I guess it depends on what you studied and what you do for work.

I think I've referred back to just about every text book I have from ugrad. My electromagnetics text has been opened several times in the last year. I guess it depends on what you studied and what you do for work.
And this is why you should get a science degree, kids.

Back when I was in school I resold through half.com which was eBay's sister site that specialized in media only. They took a smaller cut of the sale total, and made it easier on the seller with simplified rates to offer (such as the shipping rate you had to use because the USPS offered a special rate on "media" shipping for things like books, CDs, DVDs-- anything you could fit into a special envelope they would give you). It also made it easier to list the sale because all you had to do was find the ISBN of your book, and it drew a higher volume of purchases who didn't want to deal with auctions, and liked Buy It Now used prices when browsing the online store sorted by strictly defined New / Like New / Excellent / Good / Okay / Poor conditions for the books.

Today, eBay is total garbage for sellers, it abuses you, and I don't think Half.com generates the views it used to. You're better off starting an Amazon seller account these days, and using their marketplace-- way higher volume of customer. You can also use the ISBN# to easily find and list your offering. When starting out and you don't have a seller rep rating the best thing you can do is offer a terse description of who you are, and the book. It helps to offer the best price, but even better is what you convey with this description. You're usually limited to a pretty small number of words. For example, "College student reselling to not get screwed. New Condition, but listed 'Like New'. Pristine cover & pages, no markings. STRICT TO SELLER STANDARDS."

The last line killed for me. I understood used book buyer psychology because I am a bibliophile who bought a lot of used books. All you want is to know what you're getting. In this short description, you have conveyed that you are a college student, and this immediately summons the image in most folk's minds of a child of privilege & good character who isn't trying to scam people online (or at least it used to). You aren't hard up for money. Not only that, but you have conveyed a sense that they have the power. You aren't a bookseller businessman. You are a college student stuck with something you don't want. So this evaporates the anxiety there might be something wrong with the product; there's just no need for it.

Simultaneously, it conveys a sense of seriousness, discipline, and character with regard to the obeying the rules, and conforming to the marketplace definitions. This is because some sellers, as I knew well, abused those definitions and sold "Okay" books as "Like New", or worse, "New". All you wanted was consistency and reliability as a customer since you weren't given pictures for book sales on Half.com, and this is also true for the Amazon marketplace.

I actually sold my art history textbook on that website, filled with writing and underlining in the margins, for more than I paid for it New at the college bookstore: in "Poor" condition (because a single inscription dictated that according to the rules). I made money my junior and senior year selling my friend's books for them while taking almost all of the profits. They didn't care. They were facing those same garbage $3-$7 offers for barely used, pristine $140 math textbooks and the like. I'd say, "How does $25 sound?" Pay them up front, then go sell it for $70-$110, usually, depending on the market. I had a line of friends showing up at my door with a box full of their entire college library they didn't want to keep.
Wow thank you Mick for this mini-tutorial. I was online searching eBay vs Amazon but I didn't get a single hit of advice as thorough as this

I played around with creating a test run offer on eBay and this is the description I came up with:

Originally purchased January 2018. Perfect condition: no highlights or notes, no wrinkled or torn pages, clean and intact inside and out. Lowest current Amazon price: $276.66 including tax.
And I listed it for $245.00 plus free shipping. Based on your post I think I'm gonna try Amazon instead and use the same description but with the addition of "strict to seller standards"

Screenshots of the eBay offer preview:
rHlqde0.jpg

pJZy1B1.jpg

Lawyers are the lowest form of life on the planet. They will defend anyone for anything.
10x better than doctors right now. Lawyers are the only thing that somewhat protect you from complete tyranny.. And they are losing the battle.

I would most likely feel a bit more inclined to hold onto my books if I were in the hard sciences. But with law, there are no concrete universal rules or principles revealed in our casebooks; law is perpetually evolving and a casebook from 2016 could realistically be rendered obsolete by 2020

Then you have LexisNexis and Westlaw and yeah, you wonder why you purchased a casebook in the first place

Last edited:
God... what a fucking scam college textbooks are...

Anyone know of any websites that link up college students for buying/selling used textbooks? I'm in my 2nd year of law school and have already paid a fortune on books, and I realize I'm never gonna have to refer back to most of these books so I'm trying to resell them. Problem is, when I'm looking at the buyback prices online I feel like I'm getting raped but not raped in a good way. This site Bookfinder.com aggregates the buyback value from 10 different online book buyers and shows you the top price from the 10. So I try this out with the 18 books I'm willing to part with and the grand total is a whopping $381.93, and to put that into its proper rape context I paid a total of $1572.55 for these used books all within the last 16 months or so. To give an example; I paid $99.95 for my Property Law casebook last January and the best offer on Bookfinder is $1.11 lmfao

So does anyone know of any sites where I can sell my books directly to other students?

Sell privately to other students. 20 to 30 bucks a book lets say. I sold most of mime on FB.

Sell privately to other students. 20 to 30 bucks a book lets say. I sold most of mime on FB.
I keep hearing this recommendation (which makes me think there's something to it) but the problem is I simply don't know how to go about doing it. I have a personal FB page, but there's only a handful of LS students I'm "friends" with and those that are aren't gonna be looking to buy my books as they're my peers and have already taken these courses. I tried searching FB for "Miami Law textbook sales" and the like and I've come up empty

I keep hearing this recommendation (which makes me think there's something to it) but the problem is I simply don't know how to go about doing it. I have a personal FB page, but there's only a handful of LS students I'm "friends" with and those that are aren't gonna be looking to buy my books as they're my peers and have already taken these courses. I tried searching FB for "Miami Law textbook sales" and the like and I've come up empty

Set up flyers on the poster boards near 1st year classes with your email. Also let them k ow you can offer a few tips for first year profs and classes.

Set up flyers on the poster boards near 1st year classes with your email. Also let them k ow you can offer a few tips for first year profs and classes.
Yeah I'm thinking this is ultimately my best route. I've gotta find a website that creates custom made flyers

I wanna include pics doe without having to put the effort into learning how to do that on Word

Drag and drop... tough to learn. It's in one of those textbooks you're selling. ;)

I would most likely feel a bit more inclined to hold onto my books if I were in the hard sciences. But with law, there are no concrete universal rules or principles revealed in our casebooks; law is perpetually evolving and a casebook from 2016 could realistically be rendered obsolete by 2020

Then you have LexisNexis and Westlaw and yeah, you wonder why you purchased a casebook in the first place

Without question.

Back