Rumored Report: Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou Apparently 'Bombed' In Terms Of U.S. PPV Buys

Yeah forcing 80 dollars on a fucking freakshow fight was never going to turnout well, especially an early card at that...
Saudis obviously dont care but ESPN should be facepalming right about now, Conor/Floyd got away with it because it was the 2 biggest draws in combat sports history fighting and while Fury has been a decent draw at times hes never been at that level and Ngannou has never been a decent draw period.

Yeah, i think it has more to do with the fact Ngannou isn't a big draw, mixed with the fact most boxing fans have no idea who TF he is, and most people assuming he had no chance in this fight (myself included).

The argument is pretty simple:

Nobody bought the first fight because they thought Fury would clown me. He didn’t clown me. Now people will buy the next one.

It’s not that complicated.

They may or may not buy that, but that’s the argument.

I think that argument has SOME merit as i'm sure some people that wouldn't have tuned in to the Fury fight, will now have there eye on Ngannou and take him more seriously as a "boxer". However, i still don't think there are many people who are going to shell out $80 for another MMA vs. Boxing fight to watch Ngannou fight Wilder or whoever. Sadly, you are more likely to draw big if you're a loud mouthed youtuber apparently.

He could probably make more money fighting a dipshit like Logan Paul, but i don't think either Paul brother would ever have the balls to fight Ngannou.

The argument is pretty simple:

Nobody bought the first fight because they thought Fury would clown me. He didn’t clown me. Now people will buy the next one.

It’s not that complicated.

They may or may not buy that, but that’s the argument.
Correct, it's not that complicated. You bring your track record of selling PPVs to negotiations, not "give me tons of money now and maybe people will buy it even though they didn't buy any of my other fights".

Wilder's last opponent made $1 million, and the event still lost money. The gate and PPVs combined were $7 million, which is still way more than Fury/Ngannou.

Is there a reason every single thread on Francis' successful foray into boxing is immediately relocated, but this one about PPV numbers (which also has a Boxing thread) gets to stay here?

Genuinely curious what the rationale is.

A slick boxer isn't causing more damage than a bruiser, that's not how boxing is scored. It's hit not be hit, and control the fight & dicate what kind of fight is happening and that's exactly what fury did.

That's how flyod won most of his fight he threw less but landed the better % shots and controlled his opponents and dictated what kind of fight it was. Samething fury did, he only lost 3,7&8 convincingly imo.

He won that fight 96-93 just as 1 judge and at least 2 website scored it which was boxingscene.com "credible scorecards' and mmamania. Aswell as guys like Teddy Atlas who gave fury 8 rds.

Truth is Frank did better than what most people thought he would so mma fans are blowing this out of proportion and just saying crazy stuff about a sport 90% of them don't watch or know anything about
At least be consistent. If you think it's only a matter of who lands more, you must give Ngannou round 4.

Fury was dictating what kind of fight it was? Lmao, no he was not most of the time. Much less than against Wilder.

You think Fury lost convincingly 3, 7 and 8, which I agree on.
But how many did he win convincigly? 1, 5, 6 and 9, not one more.

He took more damage in round 2, outlanding only by one jab.
He took more punches and more damage in round 4.
Nothing happened in round 10.

Somehow all the close rounds should automatically be scored for Fury based on... his reputation? Not how it works.

The fight bombed but yet everyone on earth is talking about it making comments, analysing...

The fight bombed but yet everyone on earth is talking about it making comments, analysing...
sadly francis’s fight was overshadowed by the death of chandler bing, otherwise known as the 9-11 of millennial sitcoms. it was a terrible coincidence. however, if that had not happened, the fight would have easily outsold maypac, maymac, or any other landmark boxing event. the next fight will do much better. as long as joey or ross don’t die.

Anyone surprised? Perdonality and Charisma sells PPV. Which Francis doesn't have.

He said his objective is gdp growth "do you know what that is" not sports washing.

That means he wants a return for what he is doing. Selling ppv, having people go there rent hotels buy food ect. Spending 80 million to make 20million isn't growing anything.

Also his net worth is around 25 billion. You guys act like they have musk money.

Anyone of these guys can go broke with being too fruitful.

And just so you know we don't NEED Saudi oil if you try going that route

They have way more than Musk money. The Saudi ruling family has $1.4 trillion combined, of which MBS is the leader and can get access to everyone's accounts. Like when he locked most of his family up in the Ritz Carlton a few years ago and shook them down, including his own mother.

Also he's not using his own money for these things he's using the Saudi Public Investment Fund worth about 1 trillion. So yes MBS has access to essentially unlimited money.

Their vision is long-term. They're ok with losing money now if it pays dividends eventually decades down the line.

Is there a reason every single thread on Francis' successful foray into boxing is immediately relocated, but this one about PPV numbers (which also has a Boxing thread) gets to stay here?

Genuinely curious what the rationale is.
This is "good" for the UFC so it is "UFC discussion"

Yeah, i think it has more to do with the fact Ngannou isn't a big draw, mixed with the fact most boxing fans have no idea who TF he is, and most people assuming he had no chance in this fight (myself included).
i dont think it will change much...they gonna assume fury will actually train this time and it will be easy...

He said his objective is gdp growth "do you know what that is" not sports washing.

That means he wants a return for what he is doing. Selling ppv, having people go there rent hotels buy food ect. Spending 80 million to make 20million isn't growing anything.

Also his net worth is around 25 billion. You guys act like they have musk money.

Anyone of these guys can go broke with being too fruitful.

And just so you know we don't NEED Saudi oil if you try going that route
Wait are you saying Elon Musk has more money than the Saudi Royals? {<jordan}

Also this is sport washing, you think they made a profit with the huge investment they made in "fight island"? The purpose of all of this and buying the PGA or paying hundred of millions to a footballer is to show people that the region is a regular vacation destination and change the perception that they are a religious shit hole with no respect to human life.

Wait are you saying Elon Musk has more money than the Saudi Royals? {<jordan}

Also this is sport washing, you think they made a profit with the huge investment they made in "fight island"? The purpose of all of this and buying the PGA or paying hundred of millions to a footballer is to show people that the region is a regular vacation destination and change the perception that they are a religious shit hole with no respect to human life.
Who is technically the richest man? Who is the richest family? It isn't the Saudis it's the rothschilds

Who is technically the richest man? Who is the richest family? It isn't the Saudis it's the rothschilds

Erm, so what?... the fact there are other rich families does not change the fact at all that the Saudi royal family has vast amounts of wealth...

And yes, they probably ad a zero to the end of whatever Musk has.

Erm, so what?... the fact there are other rich families does not change the fact at all that the Saudi royal family has vast amounts of wealth...

And yes, they probably ad a zero to the end of whatever Musk has.
Show me
232 trillion huh <Lmaoo>

its a weird world where MMA fans are celebrating trying to bring the UFC down over just seeing good fights like Jones v Ngannou.

we missed out on an awesome fight that I would have rather seen than some random boxing match...
No one gives a shit about MMA.

Back